These vegan french toast sticks remind you are your childhood but better! Soft, delicious vegan bread battered and baked to perfection!
Everyone loves french toast, it’s no secret. But kids and the nostalgia as adults love french toast sticks. Today we’ll be showing you how to veganize them into vegan french toast sticks.
This recipe is simple and easy once you had your bread
These breads are softer and fluffier than others, especially store bought brands, so we highly recommend you doing that. Other than making bread, you just need to whip together your batter, dunk and baked to perfection.
You’ll have delicious vegan french toast sticks in no time!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
VEGAN FRENCH TOAST STICKS INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this vegan french toast sticks.
- Bread – We would highly suggest making our vegan brioche or vegan challah recipe ahead of time before making this recipe; however, you could use a store bought bread as well. The brioche and challah are insanely soft breads which just elevate this recipe into another universe.
- Silken Tofu – since this is a vegan recipe without eggs, we need something that mimics that texture and silken tofu does it beautifully
- Dairy Free Milk – you can use your favorite variety. We would suggest using an unsweetened variety.
- Ground Flaxseed – this is helping act as our binder to replace the egg in addition to the silken tofu. It also gives a very subtle nutty taste which pairs so well with the peaches and blueberries
- Cinnamon, Nutmeg & Vanilla – our “seasoning” and aromatics of the recipe that are needed for every great french toast recipe
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
For the french toast, you’ll need:
- Bread – While we highly recommend either the brioche or challah, you could also try our easy vegan bread recipe. Additionally, you can use a store brand vegan bread however, it will be much thinner. Lastly you could make this with out vegan chocolate babka or vegan cinnamon babka recipes.
- Silken Tofu – If you want to omit the soy, you can use 2 ripe bananas, mashed, coconut cream (thick part of canned coconut milk), applesauce, or even a pumpkin or sweet potato puree.
- Vanilla – switch it up for subtle flavor difference and replace or do half and half of other extracts like almond, lemon or orange
- Peaches and Blueberries – Try swapping the peaches for other stone fruit like plums or cherries and the blueberries with raspberries, strawberries or blackberries
Frequently Asked Questions:
We do not currently have a gluten free dough recipe to recommend, although we are working to create one.
For the remaining ingredients, yes you can.
The only other allergen ingredient is the tofu. If you need to omit the soy, you can use 2 ripe bananas, mashed, coconut cream (thick part of canned coconut milk), applesauce, or even a pumpkin or sweet potato puree.
Nothing else included in the recipe contains a Top 9 allergen.
These can be made and stored in an air tight container for 5-7 days. Let cool completely before storing.
Yes! Work in batches to cook! Enjoy!
You can! We recommend once cooked and cooled to line a baking tray with wax paper and lay out the sticks. Do not let them touch for best results. Flash freeze for 30-45 minutes and then place in a freezer safe bag or container. Enjoy within 3 months for best results.
What other bread recipes can I make?
If you love bread, this you will love these other recipes. Here’s some of our favorite:
- The Best Vegan Dinner Rolls
- Vegan Chimichurri Monkey Bread
- Easy Vegan Garlic Knots
- Vegan Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
- Vegan Italian Cheesy Bread Rolls
- Tuscan Mushroom Rolls
- Vegan Ham Broccoli and Cheese Rolls
- Vegan Sausage Egg and Cheese Rolls
- Easy Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites
- Vegan Bread Bowls
- Vegan Pesto Rolls
- Easy Vegan Focaccia
- Vegan Hawaiian Rolls
Vegan French Toast Sticks
- *If making, prep loaf of bread before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking tray or multiple small with parchment.
- Cut the loaf of bread into 1 Inch thick slices and then each slice into four equal size sticks.
- In a blender, add the tofu, dairy free milk, flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Blend until well combined. Pour Into a flat bottomed dish.
- Take one stick and dunk In batter under all sides are coated. Let any excess drip off. Place on lined baking tray. Repeat with remaining sticks.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and flip. Cook for another 10-15 or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, maple syrup and other desired toppings.