Learn how to make delicious vegan bread bowls from scratch. Easy to make and just 6 ingredients.
Breads bowl do not have to be exclusive to restaurants. In fact, making your own vegan bread bowls at home are super easy to make.
Creating something you typically only have at a restaurant can be really fun to do. Often times, the end result is even better than anything that you could ever get from a restaurant too since it’s so fresh.
That is definitely the case here.
These vegan bread bowls are so soft, so delicious and honestly so easy to make.
If you are making soup and want a really special treat, then you definitely want to give these a try!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE BEST FLOUR TO USE FOR DOUGH?
We prefer using bread flour for this vegan dough recipe; however, all purpose or wheat flour would also work.
Even a mix of half all-purpose and half whole wheat will work with this recipe.
We cannot currently recommend a gluten free flour or mix at this time. We are adamantly working on creating a gluten free dough.
Can I use something other than vegan cane sugar?
Regular vegan cane sugar is what we are using in this recipe; however, agave or maple syrup could also be used.
No matter which type of sugar that you use, you don’t need to adjust any other ingredient amounts.
We have not had the chance to try this recipe with other sugar sources.
Can I prep these ahead of time?
Yes! You sure can! And there’s a few options.
When making the dough and you put it in the bowl and cover it, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
Alternatively, you can make the recipe in full and then either store the bread bowls at room temperature for 5-7 days in an air tight container, or you can freeze them.
To freeze these bread bowls, make sure they are completely cool and then place them in a freezer safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
ARE THIS VEGAN BREAD BOWLS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet.
Otherwise, this recipe is Top 8 allergen free as written.
What soups can I put inside the vegan bread bowls?
Honestly any soup goes perfectly inside of these vegan bread bowls and we think you will be happy no matter what choice you make.
Inside the bread bowl photos are our vegan broccoli and cheese soup and in the bowl above is our butternut squash.
We have a dozen more vegan soup recipes too! Click the link to view them all.
Pin these vegan bread bowls for later:
Vegan Bread Bowls
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Then, add in the water and oil.
- Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl.
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place.
- Once doubled, roll out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 4 equal pieces. *We prefer to weigh the pieces on a scale so they are even.
- Grab a piece and fold the ends under shaping into a ball. Then roll the dough into a ball.
- Place on a large baking sheet and repeat with remaining pieces. *If you place them close together they will end up touching. If you want perfectly round bread bowls, do not put them close together.
- Cover with a lightly damp towel.
- Let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place or until doubled in size again.
- Remove towel and brush with dairy free milk across each.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Let cool a bit. Then angle a knife about 2 inches into the bread and cut a circle around the top (see video if you need a visual).
- Remove the top and tear out any pieces needed to make the bowl shape seen in the photos.
- Add your favorite hot soup to the bowls and enjoy!
- Can be store at room temperature for 5-7 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!