These vegan Italian cheesy bread rolls are the perfect side for your favorite vegan pasta dish and more! A great conversation piece for your next dinner party.
Everyone loves bread, especially if there is pasta involved. But these vegan Italian cheesy bread rolls take it to another level.
There’s something about spiral shaped bread that make any bread seem just amazing and these rolls are no different.
If you have been vegan for awhile, then you know that vegan cheese shreds melting has always been a problem; however, this recipe makes them melt perfectly as the cheese shreds are trapped inside the dough spiral and the steam inside help with this process.
The spirals essentially turn this into pull apart cheesy breads that makes these vegan bread rolls perfectly for saucy pastas and more.
Honestly, they are amazing on their own and nothing else is needed!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
Frequently Asked Questions
CAN I PREP THESE VEGAN ITALIAN CHEESY BREAD ROLLS AHEAD?
Yes! You sure can! There are two options.
- Once you make the dough and cover it to rise, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
- You can make the entire recipe and then store your vegan bread rolls in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.
ARE THESE VEGAN ITALIAN CHEESY BREAD ROLLS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet.
We do use vegan butter, which usually contains soy, so use a soy free vegan butter. We like Earth Balance soy free.
Otherwise, as long as you use a safe vegan parmesan cheese and shredded cheese, you can easily make these. You could make our homemade vegan sunflower parmesan and check out our vegan shredded cheese taste test to find vegan shreds that work for your allergens.
CAN THIS BE OIL FREE?
Many people love our everything dough recipe because it’s oil free. However, you may notice below that oil is included in this recipe for the vegan butter.
Vegan butter helps give richness. While we do highly recommend this method, you could omit without any changes.
Additionally, there is Italian dressing and vegan cheese, both of which also use oil for the base of their recipes. If you have alternative recipes that you are used to use for these items that do not contain oil, then the recipe should still work for you.
COULD I MAKE OTHER THINGS WITH THE DOUGH BESIDES THESE ROLLS?
Yes! This recipe using our vegan everything dough that can be used for cinnamon rolls, pull apart bread and more! Grab our vegan everything dough recipe by clicking that link and you’ll get a ton more ideas!
WHAT VEGAN PASTA DISHES SHOULD I PAIR THESE VEGAN ITALIAN CHEESY BREAD ROLLS WITH?
Pasta is one of the best comfort foods. It can easily be switched up with gluten free pasta! There are so many options today that pair perfectly with these delicious vegan bread rolls!
Some of our favorite vegan pasta dishes are:
- Vegan Vodka Sauce (Vegan Penne alla Vodka)
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Butter Pasta with Tomatoes, Mushrooms and Asparagus
- Vegan Pumpkin Pasta with Spinach and Sundried Tomatoes
- Vegan Pesto Pasta with Cranberries
- Vegan lasagna
- Easy Vegan Skillet Lasagna
- Vegan Carbonara
- Vegan Pizza Pasta Casserole (photos above)
- Easy Vegan Alfredo
- Vegan Broccoli and Hummus Pasta
- Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chickpea Pasta
Pin these vegan Italian cheesy bread rolls for later:
Vegan Italian Cheesy Bread Rolls
For the Dough
- In a large bowl for a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Turn stand mixer onto low and add in the water, oil, and vegan butter.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl.
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
- Once dough has doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximately 17×25″ rectangle that is ¼″ thick.
- In a bowl, combine the vegan butter, garlic, and Italian dressing
- Gently spread the softened butter mixture across the dough.
- Sprinkle the vegan parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese shreds evenly across the top.
- Carefully roll the dough into a log from the longest side up. One completely rolled, place seam side down. Cut into 12 even sized pieces.
- Place into a greased 9×13 baking dish and cover to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Once heated, place dish inside and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes. During the last 5 minutes turn the heat up to 450 for a crispier top (pay attention carefully so not to burn)
- Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Reheat by microwaving 30 seconds at a time.