This Toasted Vegan Smores Pastry is an insanely delicious vegan summer dessert recipe! It’s like a high end smores dessert!
If you love S’mores, we have a new dessert for you that you are absolutely going to love. This toasted vegan s’mores pastry is so darn easy to make that it’s going to knock your socks off.
This is like an elevated version of your favorite childhood memories. You are literally going to love how amazing this dish recipe is for whatever you need it for.
Loaded with marshmallowy gooeyness, chocolate and crust, it’s not only stunning to look at, but the taste is impeccable.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Toasted Vegan Smores Pastry INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this Toasted Vegan Smores Pastry:
- puff pastry – Pepperidge Farm puff pastry is accidentally vegan and that’s what we are using here.
- graham crackers – finding vegan graham crackers can be a challenge; however, Nabisco original are vegan friendly, or if you have time you can make our homemade vegan graham cracker recipe
- dairy free milk – any non-dairy milk will work for this recipe. We use an unsweetened vanilla version.
- vegan mini marshmallows – Marshmallows usually contain gelatin making them not vegan; however, we are using the Dandies brand for this recipe
- vegan chocolate chips – If one is to make s’mores, then one needs chocolate. We recommend using a semi-sweet version. For that, we would recommend Enjoy Life or the new Great Value Top 8 free organic line at Wal-mart
- turbinado sugar – this is a course sugar that has a little extra caramelization taste due to retaining some of the molasses during processing but is great in this recipe for that reason
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
While we usually have a list of substitutions or variations for this recipe, because of the simple nature and limited ingredients to this recipe, we wouldn’t suggest making any changes.
One thing that we will say is that drizzling chocolate sauce or caramel sauce over the top once finished and while serving is a really great addition.
How do I make the best Toasted Vegan Smores Pastry?
In order to make the best recipe here, we suggest the following:
- Don’t skimp on the ingredients. We know vegan ingredients tend to be pricey than their non-vegan counterparts, but don’t add less of the ingredients to make this go faster. You really want this to have the full amounts.
- Use quality brands. This goes back to the point above. Use the brands that you know are great.
- Don’t use a bitter chocolate – chocolate is a main component in this recipe and you don’t want it to be overpowering. Definitely use a semi-sweet chocolate.
How do I make this Toasted Vegan Smores Pastry faster?
This recipe is insanely easy to make. We do recommend that whatever day you plan to make this recipe that you make sure to pull your puff pastry out ahead of time to thaw. There is nothing worse then being prepared to make a recipe using puff pastry, only to have to wait 40 minutes for it to thaw.
Frequently Asked Questions:
This recipe seems easy, but there are some tricks you’re going to have to pull to make it allergen friendly. If you can locate a vegan gluten free puff pastry, then that’s step one. It’s almost impossible to find both vegan and gluten free graham crackers, so we’d recommend making our homemade vegan graham cracker recipe and subbing out a 1:1 flour blend.
For the vegan marshmallows, the most known brand is Dandies, but that contains soy. We do have a vegan marshmallow recipe; however, we have not tested to see if it worked being cooked in a recipe like this.
Heat in the microwave for a few seconds or in an air fryer or oven until heated through (about 5-7 minutes depending on which using)
We recommend eating within 3 days. Store in an air tight container in the fridge and reheat as described above.
We do not recommend making and freezing this recipe.
By cooking the marshmallows in the puff pastry, some of the marshmallow ooze out which allows them to get a toasty flavor. If you want even more toasted flavor, we recommend carefully using a food grade torch and toasting it even a little more.
What other vegan s’mores recipe ideas could I make?
If you love s’mores, then you will love these other vegan s’mores recipes:
- Vegan S’mores Cookies
- Vegan S’mores Ice Cream (No Churn)
- No Bake Vegan S’mores with Dark Chocolate Mousse
Pin this toasted vegan s’mores pastry for later!
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!
Toasted Vegan Smores Pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 4 graham crackers
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 2 cups vegan mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Unfold the pastry dough and roll the dough a little to make even. Use some of the milk, and brush it across the pastry to very lightly coat the pastry dough.
- Break the crackers into individual rectangles and makes 3 rows of 3 (9 total) on top of pastry. Top with chocolate chips evenly, then vegan marshmallows.
- Cut 1 inch strips on either side of the longest sides, brush with dairy free milk, and criss cross strips on either side. Tuck the ends up and seal cutting off any excess.
- Brush the dough with the rest of the milk and top with course sugar. Crush the remaining graham crackers into crumbles and sprinkle on top.
- Bake 20 – 25 mins, until golden and slightly toasted.
- Best served warm.
Did you make this? ★★★★★ Leave a 5-star rating below ★★★★★