These Vegan S’mores with Dark Chocolate Mousse are going to blow you away. And even though you make it you will ponder whether or not it’s vegan. Yes, it’s that good.
Okay, so I’m just going to be upfront and say it. These Vegan S’mores with Dark Chocolate Mousse do take a bit of time to make.
However—the end result is totally worth it.
The reason it takes a bit of time is because you have to allow the layers to set in between making them. We are making a vegan chocolate mousse from scratch, along with a vegan marshmallow fluff.
Just because it takes a bit of time, doesn’t mean it’s hard to make. In fact, it’s really easy!
But once you have the layers combined, the end result is one of the most decadent s’mores types of desserts that you’ve ever had. And best of all, it’s completely vegan. Every single little drop.
I mean if that’s not winning to you, then I don’t know what is.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this be Top 8 Allergen Free?
We’ll be straight up. This isn’t the easiest recipe to make Top 8 Free, but we’re going to tell you have. So yes, it can be top 8 allergen free vegan s’mores bars.
First, make use you are using a vegan butter and vegan chocolate that are soy free. For the butter, we like Earth Balance soy free. For the chocolate, use a brand like Enjoy Life that is already allergen friendly.
For the graham crackers, you can use store bought gluten free graham crackers (just make sure they are vegan friendly too) or you can make your own homemade vegan graham crackers and swap out the flour for a gluten free flour like King Arthur Measure for Measure.
Lastly, the mousse layer contains coconut milk. If you aren’t allergic to coconuts, then we recommend that you still continue with this.
However, if you are allergic to coconut, then follow this version for a Top 8 Free vegan chocolate mousse.
Can I prep these Vegan S’mores with Dark Chocolate Mousse ahead of time?
Yes! Once made they will last a minimum of 48 hours in the fridge. They may last longer but we have never tried beyond that point.
Or, if you need to prep these in advance, you can make the entire dish and then place in the freezer until ready to use, within 30 days.
What is the best type of chocolate to use for the mid layer?
You want more of a milk chocolate layer for this mid layer. In order to do that, you want to choose a chocolate that is between 52-57% cacao.
The easiest way to do that is to use the Enjoy Life brand of chocolate; however, if you have a different vegan chocolate that falls within that range, then you can use that as well.
What is the best brand of coconut milk to use to get a good coconut cream layer out?
Believe it or not, consistently, we have had the best luck with Target brand. It doesn’t even usually have to be chilled for the coconut fat to already be on top; although it does still help.
Just make sure to get the full fat and not the light fat.
Can I make these into smaller sizes?
Absolutely. We cut them into 9 for the video; however, we recommend cutting into 12 bars because 9 was just too large for most people.
But, you could definitely make them even small if needed.
What if I don’t don’t have a food grade torch?
First of all, the use of the torch, is just for looks of a toasted marshmallow on top. It isn’t necessary at all.
If you don’t have one, you can skip that part entirely.
However, if you really want the look you can also buy a food grade torch yourself.
We just advise that you are very very careful using the product and keep away from children.
We also want to say that until you learn to use one, you should go very slowly and evenly on the tops of these as it can burn quickly.
Pin these Vegan S’mores with Dark Chocolate Mousse for later:
Vegan S’mores with Dark Chocolate Mousse
For the Crust
- 10 oz 52-57% vegan chocolate, melted (Enjoy Life is a good brand for this)
Vegan Dark Chocolate Mousse*
For the Crust
- Line a 9×9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the crushed graham crackers, melted vegan butter, and cane sugar together.
- Pour this into the pan and using the back of a spoon or your hands, press it down into an even layer.
For the Mid Layer
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a double broiler. Let slightly cool.
- Pour over the graham cracker crust and spread out evenly.
- Place in the refrigerator to firm up while moving on.
For the Vegan Dark Chocolate Mousse
- Carefully remove only the fatty part of the canned coconut milk. Add to a medium bowl. *Target brand has worked best consistently.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk together the cream until light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix just until combined.
- Add in the cocoa powder and salt. Mix until evenly combined.
- Remove pan from fridge and spread the dark chocolate mousse evenly across the mid layer.
- Place back into the fridge for at least an hour. *You could also do this overnight and finish in the last step in the morning.
For the Vegan Marshmallow Fluff
- *Ideally, do not start this step until 30 minutes or less, ready to serve.In a bowl, combine aquafaba with vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Beat with stand mixer or hand mixer until it resembles stiff peaks. If you turn the bowl upside down, it shouldn't go anywhere. This takes approximately 8-10 minutes. *DO NOT RUSH THIS PART OR IT WILL MELT ALL OVER AND NOT SET.
- Add in both sugars and beat again until dissolved. The end product should have a glossy finish.
- Once mousse layer is firm in the freezer, remove and cut into 9-12 bars or desired size.
- Spread a large dollop of marshmallow fluff on top.
- **If you have a food grade torch, you can carefully, torch the peaks on top.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!