This vegan sausage egg and cheese rolls are the perfect vegan breakfast rolls in a portable shape making eating on the go easy!
These vegan sausage egg and cheese rolls are a spin off our one of our most favorite sandwiches before going vegan.
There’s something about the combination of sausage, egg, and cheese (all vegan in our case) that is just so good together. The melty cheese, the soft and fluffy egg, and the juicy sausage.
It’s really only rivaled by it’s bacon counterpart when it comes to breakfast sandwiches.
This is also similarly close to our vegan breakfast pizza that is a must try if you haven’t had it yet.
One reason that cinnamon rolls are so love is that they are portable way to eat an amazing breakfast.
Now, you can have a savory breakfast option on the go as well. They are also a great way to serve
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
CAN I PREP THESE VEGAN SAUSAGE EGG AND CHEESE ROLLS AHEAD?
Yes! You sure can! There are two options.
- Once you make the dough and cover it to rise, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
- You can make the entire recipe and then store your vegan breakfast rolls in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.
ARE THESE VEGAN BREAKFAST ROLLS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
We have not tried the gluten free dough with this particular recipe, but you could use the dough from our gluten free vegan cinnamon rolls and then contain with the filling for this.
The sausage we used isn’t gluten free or soy free; however, you could use a different sausage that is soy free like Beyond breakfast sausage and just chop it small or Lightlife breakfast patties and chop them up.
Lastly, use a safe soy free vegan butter, like Earth Balance soy free and a safe vegan shredded cheese depending on your allergens.
WHERE CAN I BUY VEGAN SAUSAGE?
We have found vegan at a variety of stores. Whole Foods and Wegmans, as well as local grocery stores, like Shoprite and Acme, and our local natural health food store.
At the local grocery stores, it is in the section where tofu is located, usually in the produce department.
COULD I MAKE OTHER THINGS WITH THE DOUGH BESIDES VEGAN BREAKFAST ROLLS?
Yes! This recipe using our vegan everything dough that can be used for cinnamon rolls, pull apart bread and more! Grab our vegan everything dough recipe by clicking that link and you’ll get a ton more ideas!
We do think if you love this idea you’ll love our savory vegan sausage gravy rolls.
Pin these vegan sausage egg and cheese rolls for later:
Vegan Sausage Egg and Cheese Rolls
For The Dough
Vegan Sausage Egg and Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces vegan breakfast sausage (we used Lightlife ground)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 bottle Just Egg cooked, with kala namak to taste (or 1 recipe for tofu scramble)
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, softened (not melted)
- 2 cups vegan cheddar, divided
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
For the Dough
- In a large bowl or stand mixer bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and sugar.
- Add in the water and butter. Using a spatula or dough hook, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl.
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
For the Filling
- While the dough is rising, cook with vegan sausage into crumbles with the sage, thyme, pepper, rosemary, cayenne, and nutmeg. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the Just Egg with kala namak to taste or make tofu scramble. Set aside to cool.
- Once dough has doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximately 18×12″ rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter across the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly the vegan sausage crumbles, the vegan egg and 1 1/2 cups of the vegan cheese. *DO NOT ADD THESE HOT.
- Carefully roll into log from the longest side up. OnCe completely rolled, place seam side down. Cut into 12 even sized pieces.
- Place into a greased 9×13 baking dish and cover.
- Let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Right before going into the oven, brush the tops with 1/3 cup vegan butter and sprinkle the remaining cheese.
- Place dish inside and bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until dough is cooked inside.
- Remove rolls from oven when done.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!