These vegan sausage gravy rolls are the perfect savory spin on cinnamon rolls! Super easy to make perfect for breakfast on the go.
There are people that love all things sweet, but there’s an equal split of people who love all things savory! These vegan sausage gravy rolls are the absolute best savory rolls for brunch.
For starters, if you’ve never had vegan sausage biscuits and gravy then you are missing out on a true Southern classic.
Now that that’s out of the way, we have to tell you that whether you’ve had the traditional biscuits and gravy that way or not, you will without a doubt love this way.
One reason that cinnamon rolls are so love is that they are portable way to eat an amazing breakfast.
Now, you can have a savory breakfast option on the go as well
Not only that, but if you are hosting a brunch, these make for a less messy version of biscuits and gravy as well.
Plus, who doesn’t love sausage gravy inside and smeared across the top of dough. No one that we know!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
CAN I PREP THESE VEGAN SAUSAGE GRAVY ROLLS AHEAD?
Yes! You sure can! There are two options.
- Once you make the dough and cover it to rise, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
- You can make the entire recipe and then store your vegan sausage gravy rolls in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.
ARE THESE VEGAN SAUSAGE GRAVY ROLLS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FREE?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet.
Since it’s not gluten free because of the bread, we will also say that the sausage we used isn’t gluten free or soy free; however, you could use a different sausage that is soy free like Beyond breakfast sausage and just chop it small.
Otherwise, as long as you use a safe vegan butter, you can easily make these Top 7 free.
WHERE CAN I BUY VEGAN SAUSAGE?
We have found vegan at a variety of stores. Whole Foods and Wegmans, as well as local grocery stores, like Shoprite and Acme.
At the local grocery stores, it is in the section where tofu is located, usually in the produce department.
COULD I MAKE OTHER THINGS WITH THE DOUGH BESIDES SAUSAGE GRAVY ROLLS?
Yes! This recipe using our vegan everything dough that can be used for cinnamon rolls, pull apart bread and more! Grab our vegan everything dough recipe by clicking that link and you’ll get a ton more ideas!
Pin these vegan sausage gravy rolls for later:
Vegan Sausage Gravy Rolls
For The Dough
Vegan Sausage Gravy Filling and Topping
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 14-16 ounces vegan breakfast sausage (we used Lightlife)
- 1 tsp dried sage, (omit if your sausage contains it)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups unsweetened dairy free milk (we use almond or oat but you can use another – I wouldn't recommend coconut)
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper (more to taste)
For The Inside Dough Before Filling
- 1/3 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup vegan cheese (mozzarella works great, but Follow Your Heart smoked gouda is really good in this) *Cheese is optional and can be omitted
- 1 tsp dried sage
For the Topping
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/2-1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
For the Dough
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Add in the water. Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl. *If you are oil free, then just make sure sides of bowl are floured, or use a silicone bowl to easily get it out
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
For the Vegan Sausage Gravy
- About 20 minutes before the dough is done rising, melt the 2 tbsp vegan butter in a large skillet.
- Add in vegan sausage, breaking into small pieces.
- Brown sausage, breaking the sausage into crumbles while cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add in 1 tsp dried sage and stir together.
- Sprinkle half the flour over the sausage and combine. Then do the other half. Mix well until you see no more flour.
- Then, add the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each. Finally, let cook, stirring frequently, for a few minutes. It will thicken up during this time.
- Add in salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once dough has doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximately 18×12″ rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter across the dough, leaving about 1/2" lip around the edge of the dough.
- Sprinkle the vegan cheese and 1 tsp sage evenly across the top.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the sausage filling. Set aside.
- With the remaining sausage filling, spread evenly across the dough.
- Carefully roll into log from the longest side up. One completely rolled, place seam side down. Cut into 12 even sized pieces.
- Place into a greased 9×13 baking dish and cover.
- Let rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Right before going into the oven, brush the tops with 1/3 cup vegan butter.
- Place dish inside and bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until dough is cooked inside.
- Remove rolls from oven when done.
- Reheat the reserved sausage gravy with 1/2 cup of the dairy free milk. Stir together until combined. If you want it more saucy, slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup until desired consistency.
- Spoon across the top of the rolls and serve.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!