Vegan soft pretzel bites are perfect for parties, snacks, and dipping! This easy, 7 ingredient vegan dough recipe will be a hit!
Imagine the disappointment when you go to get soft pretzels only to realize that they are vegan (or dairy free/egg free depending on allergies). Luckily, this easy vegan soft pretzel bites recipe can mean that you can have them any time that you want!
Vegan soft pretzel bites aren’t hard to make at all.
They need just a few ingredients and a little bit of patience, but otherwise fairly easy.
They are a hit at parties, especially game related parties or holidays, but also make for great after school snacks or even movie night snacks.
Make them sweet by drizzling icing over top or serve with dijon mustard or vegan nacho cheese for a savory option.
Or serve both and let your guests decide which one they want.
The possibilities are endless once you realize how easy they are to make at home.
You could even play around with stuffing them!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do I need for vegan soft pretzel bites?
You only need seven ingredients for this super easy vegan pretzel recipe.
We start with the base of our vegan everything dough recipe and then just add 2 extra ingredients to make the pretzels.
The ingredients that you need are:
- Instant Yeast
- Dairy Free Milk (we like Oat)
- Maple Syrup
- Salt Flakes (or coarse salt)
- Baking Soda
That’s it! Can you believe that’s all you need?
How do you make Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites?
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt. Then, add in the dairy free milk and maple syrup.
Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if you need to not be sticky and form a ball.
Once your ball is formed, you will want to grease the same bowl you mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl.
Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place.
Once doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add parchment paper to a large baking sheet and set aside.
Roll out the dough to about 1/2″ and then cut into squares. For smaller bites, roll 1″x1″ . For larger bites, 2″x2″. Roll each square into a ball.
In a heavy bottomed pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add baking soda and then carefully drop the balls inside. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the dough is roughly doubled in size.
Remove the dough using a slotted spoon and allow any excess water to drain off. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet. Top with a few salt flakes. Repeat until all dough pieces are on the baking sheet.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Give a few minutes to cool before serving. Best served warm.
Can I prep these vegan pretzel bites ahead?
Yes! You sure can! There are two options.
- Once you make the dough and cover it to rise, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
- You can make the entire recipe and then store your pretzels in an air tight container for up to 3 days. After this they start to get a little hard even if warmed back up.
Also, you could use half the dough at a time. For example, once the dough has risen, split in half. Make the pretzel bites with one half and then 2 days later make the other half.
Are these vegan soft pretzel bites Top 8 Allergen Free?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet.
Otherwise, as long as you use a safe dairy free milk, (like we said Oat is our favorite) then you will be all set.
Could I make other things with the dough besides pretzels?
Yes! This recipe using our vegan everything dough that can be used for cinnamon rolls, pull apart bread and more! Grab our vegan everything dough recipe by clicking that link and you’ll get a ton more ideas!
What could I dip these vegan soft pretzel bites in?
There are so many options for dipping vegan soft pretzels bites depending on your own preferences. Some of our favorite options are:
- Vegan Nacho Cheese
- Vegan Buttercream Frosting (only make half and thin it with more milk to make more of a glaze than a frosting)
You could also dip in regular or dijon mustard, salsa, hummus, and more.
Pin these Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and salt.
- Then, add in the dairy free milk and maple syrup.
- Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl. *If you are oil free, then just make sure sides of bowl are floured, or use a silicone bowl to easily get it out
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
- Once doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Add parchment paper to a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick and then cut into squares. For smaller bites, roll 1"x1" . For larger bites, 2"x2".
- Roll each square into a ball.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add baking soda and then carefully drop the balls inside. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the dough is roughly doubled in size.
- Remove the dough using a slotted spoon and allow any excess water to drain off. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Top with a few salt flakes. Repeat until all dough pieces are on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Give a few minutes to cool before serving. Best served warm.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!