These super easy vegan cheesy potato burritos pairs deliciously seasoned roasted potatoes, with cilantro lime rice and our vegan nacho cheese sauce.
Whether you are looking for an easy vegan pantry meal or just one for a budget, then these vegan cheesy potato burritos are going to be just what you are looking for.
This recipe needs just 30 minutes to come together and while we only put these 3 things inside, you can feel free to get creative and add any of your favorite burritos toppings.
Also, if you are doing this as a pantry challenge and don’t have burrito shells on hand, feel free to put the mix on small flour or corn taco shells, or in lettuce wraps.
You could also make a burrito bowl out of it or even trying making our homemade vegan naan and using that as a taco shell.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do you need for vegan cheesy potato burritos?
We combined 3 recipes here. Roasted spiced potatoes, cilantro lime rice, and vegan cheese sauce.
Full ingredients amounts listed In the printable recipe card below.
For the roasted spiced potatoes:
- Taco seasoning
- Oil (can be oil free if you have an air fryer)
For the nacho cheese (mostly spices)
- Butter beans
- Nutritional yeast
- Diced Jalapeños
- Lemon juice
- Vegan butter
- Oat flour
- Dairy Free milk
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
For the cilantro lime rice – you could make this or you could just use any favorite rice recipe.
- vegetable broth
- lemon juice
- bay leaves
What are the best types of potatoes to use?
For roasting, you want potatoes that have a waxy and starchy texture.
We used russet potatoes in the photos; however, yukon gold or red potatoes would also work.
Alternatively, you could also do this with sweet potatoes.
Do I need to peel the potatoes first?
This choice is completely yours. You can if you want or not if you don’t mind.
If you don’t like skins on your roasted potatoes you could try a favorite zero waste idea by frying up the skins for about 5 minutes until crispy and then adding salt or your favorite seasonings. They taste just like potato chips.
How do you make vegan cheesy potato burritos?
First you need to preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Then, cube your potatoes.
Toss the potatoes with the oil and taco seasoning and then lay in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until fork tender. Shorter time for softer potatoes or longer time for potatoes that crisp up a bit.
While that is baking you can make the rice and cheese sauce.
If you are making our cilantro lime rice, add in your rinsed and drained rice and toast it for 2-3 minutes.
Next add the broth, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cover.
Cook according to package instructions for length of time.
Once rice is done, let it sit, covered for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
Then, add in the chopped cilantro, lime zest, and both lime and lemon juice.
Stir together and fluff with a fork.
For the cheese sauce, add pour all ingredients into a high powered blender.
Blend for 5 minutes or until a thickened, creamy, well-combined sauce.
Can you make the potatoes in air air fryer?
Absolutely. Whether you want an oil free recipe or you want just crispier potatoes, you can heat them in an air fryer for the 20-25 minutes (or until desired texture achieved), tossing every 5-7 minutes. Cook at 450 degrees F.
Can you make vegan cheesy potato burritos ahead of time?
You can make all the ingredients and store them separately. We don’t recommend making the burritos themselves ahead of time pre-made.
But the potatoes, rice, and cheese sauce can all be store in air tight containers for up to 7 days in the fridge.
Can you make vegan cheesy potato burritos Top 8 Allergen Free?
Use a gluten free burrito wrap or just make a burrito bowl. The potatoes and rice are already Top 8 Allergen Free as written.
The nacho cheese you need to make sure you use a soy free vegan butter like Earth Balance soy free in the red tub and a safe for you dairy free milk (we prefer oat).
WHAT ARE OTHER VEGAN DINNER IDEAS I SHOULD TRY?
If you love this easy dairy free dinner recipe, you may be wondering what other dairy free dinner ideas we have. Here are some ideas we have (all are vegan):
- Chorizo Vegan Burritos
- Dairy Free Taco Casserole
- Dairy Free Pizza
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Dairy Free Alfredo
- Dairy Free Nachos
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin these vegan cheesy potato burritos for later:
Vegan Cheesy Potato Burritos
For the Potatoes
For the Cilantro Lime Rice
For the Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 15oz can Butter Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4oz can diced jalapenos
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 tbsp oat flour
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
For the potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cube potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Toss potatoes with the oil and taco seasoning and lay in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until fork tender. *Shorter time for softer potatoes or longer time for potatoes that crisp up a bit.
- While that is roasting, make the rice and cheese sauce.
For the Cilantro Lime Rice
- If are making cilantro lime rice, add in rinsed and drained rice and toast it for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the broth, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Cook according to package instructions for length of time.
- Once rice is done, let it sit, covered for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Then, add in the chopped cilantro, lime zest, and both lime and lemon juice.
- Stir together and fluff with a fork.
For Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- For the cheese sauce, add pour all ingredients into a high powered blender.
- Blend for 5 minutes or until a thickened, creamy, well-combined sauce. Serve warm.
To Assemble the Burritos
- Add approximately 1/2-3/4 cup of rice to burrito shell
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup potatoes.
- Add 1-2 tbsp nacho cheese sauce.
- Roll up the burrito and serve!