This Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl is bound to be your next favorite meal to make. It’s super versatile and can be made numerous ways, including how to be Top 8 Allergy Friendly! Really easy to make and comes together in under 30 minutes.
Quick and easy meals are the love language of anyone that needs to be in the kitchen cooking meals on a regular basis. It’s the epitome of kitchen winning when you can have a meal that both tastes insanely good, but also doesn’t require you to spend hours hovering over a stove either. This Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl recipe does all that. Plus, you can make it just a Chorizo Vegan Burrito if you so choose.
The recipe has minimal ingredients that are easily found at a variety of places and can even be made Top 8 Allergy friendly depending on your family’s needs.
Watch how to make this Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl:
What ingredients do you need to make a Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl?
Of course you are wondering how you even make a chorizo vegan burrito . Luckily, you’re going to learn how to make one that’s so easy and is super versatile depending on your families needs and preferences. You really can’t mess up this dish. The ingredients that you will need are:
- red onions
- green peppers
- black beans
- fire roasted tomatoes
- taco seasoning (we love this homemade taco seasoning recipe)
- garlic powder
- lime juice
- Vegan Chorizo (more about this below)
- Vegan Garlic Butter Rice with Kale
How do you make a Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl?
In order to make this vegan burrito recipe, the first thing that you want to do is make your dairy free garlic butter rice with kale. Once you have that going or pre-made, then you will want to chop up your red onions, green peppers, and garlic.
In a skillet, add some oil (we prefer avocado oil in this recipe, but use whatever you have) over medium heat. Add in the onions and green peppers to the heated skillet and saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions start to turn translucent. Add in the garlic and stir together. Saute for 1 more minute.
Now, add in the drained black beans and corn, along with the fire roasted tomatoes, still in their juice. Stir together well. Then, add in the taco seasoning (*See notes below.) Add in the taco seasoning, garlic powder, and lime juice. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes, scraping the bottom gently to ensure nothing sticks.
Finally, add in the vegan chorizo and garlic butter rice with kale and stir until heated throughout. We hope you really enjoy this vegan burrito recipe!
What are some alternatives that I can use in this Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl?
One of the best things about vegan burritos and burrito bowls is that they are insanely versatile. There’s no real right or wrong way to do it. Add a little of this and that and bam you are good to go. Here’s some alternatives that you could consider:
- We used green peppers, but feel free to swap with red, orange, or yellow in the same amount
- Avocado oil is what we like using, but any oil will work, like olive
- If you don’t like or cannot have corn, you can add double the amount of black beans to the recipe
- Fire roasted tomatoes can be found everyone from Aldi to Target to your local grocer, but if you cannot find it, you can add in regular diced tomatoes or a can of rotel tomatoes and chilis (this will adjust the spice level)
- We used 2 tablespoon of taco seasoning, but you can add more if you like spicier. We have made this with both a homemade taco seasoning and Trader Joe’s taco seasoning, both were successful.
- For the photos, we used Upton’s Seitan Chorizo, but we have also made with Trader Joe’s Soy Chorizo. Both are delicious. For the Upton’s, use the whole package. For Trader Joe’s, only use half of the package.
- We really believe that the Garlic Butter Rice with Kale, adds a nice depth of flavor to the dish, but if you do not have time or want to make this, you can swap for two cups of spanish or mexican style rice, or plain if desired. Adjust seasonings as needed if doing this way.
Can I make this Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl Top 8 Allergy Friendly recipe?
As written, this recipe contains soy and wheat in the form of the vegan chorizo. If you remove that and just make this a black bean and corn burrito bowl or burritos, then the entire recipe would be Top 8 Allergy Friendly. At this time we are unaware of a vegan chorizo that does not have these ingredients.
I’m not vegan, only dairy free, can I make this with chorizo made from pork?
If you are not vegan, you can use a traditional chorizo; however you will want to ensure that the casein used to wrap the chorizo is not derived from dairy.
Can you make this Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl into a Chorizo Vegan Burrito?
Absolutely, 100% you can make this vegan burrito bowl recipe into just a vegan burrito. You would make the recipe as normal, but instead of inside of a bowl, you place and wrap them up inside of a large burrito tortilla. That’s the only difference. It’s the perfect way to take the meal on the go!
Chorizo Vegan Burrito Bowl
- 2 cups dairy free garlic butter rice with kale
- ½ red onion, chopped fine
- 1 whole green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil, or other cooking oil
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, left in juice
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Juice from 1 Lime
- 8 oz vegan chorizo
- jalapenos, hatch chili salsa or another salsa, avocados, cilantro, and more
- Prep the garlic butter rice with kale recipe. (*You can prep this part up to 4 days in advance)
- Cut up vegetables as directed in ingredient list.
- Add avocado oil to the pan and heat of medium.
- Once hot, add in the onions and green peppers. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions start to become translucent.
- Add in the garlic and stir together for 1 more minute.
- Add in the drained corn and black beans, as well as the fire roasted tomatoes still in their juice. Stir together.
- Let simmer together for 3 minutes.
- Pour in taco seasoning, garlic powder, and lime juice. Stir.
- Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently so mixture doesn’t burn.
- Add in garlic butter rice with chorizo. Stir together.
- Let cook until heated through.
- Add on any additional toppings.
- Serve immediately or let cool and place into an old container.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Just made this for dinner, I used sweet earth chorizo, and made Nora Cooks sour cream as a topping. I love it so much! Thanks 🙂
Happy to hear that you enjoyed it!
I made this for lunch. It was delicious. I am loving you guys!
YAYY!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know. We appreciate it so much! Have a great week