These vegan sweet potato and black bean tacos are the perfect dinner idea! They combine healthy ingredients, are super filling, and easily customizable. This vegan taco recipe is also Top 8 Allergen Free!
No one needs a reason to love tacos. They are literally a staple in almost everyone’s house. Sometimes though, you may be looking for a different way to enjoy a classic dish. These vegan sweet potato and black bean tacos are what you’ve been craving!
Whether it’s Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, or any other random day that ends in -y, this vegan taco recipe is a must try.
We combine roasted sweet potatoes with sautéed black beans with some of your other favorite Mexican flavors and the result is the perfect meatless dish that the whole family will love.
It’s also great for a crowd or get together. Perfect combo to add to a taco bar too!
What ingredients do you need to make Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos?
You know that we love simple recipe and this is one of them. You need just 9 ingredients to make the delicious vegan taco recipe. The ingredients that you need are:
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil (can sub coconut or avocado)
- taco seasoning
- red onion
- black beans
- corn tortillas (can use flour)
- Any optional toppings: lime wedges, salsa, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, avocado slices or cubes, etc
How do you make vegan sweet potato black bean tacos?
Not only do you need minimal ingredients, but the recipe is really easy to make. To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into small pieces. Place pieces on a baking sweet and drizzle with a bit of the olive oil, agave, and some of the taco seasoning. Toss the ingredients together until well coated. Place into the oven for 20-30 minutes or until fork pierces through easily.
While that is in the oven, you want to chop up your onions and garlic. To a large skillet, add one more tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and sauté until translucent. That takes about 3-5 minutes.
Then, add your garlic and sauté for one minute. Next, add in your drained black beans more taco seasoning and lime juices. Heat through.
If potatoes are done, add to the skillet and carefully combine. If they are not done, turn off the heat and set aside until sweet potatoes are ready.
Once mixed together, serve immediately with your favorite toppings. If meal prepping, let cool to room temp and then store in an air tight container.
Can I make this a Top 8 Allergen Friendly recipe?
Everything in the recipe is already Top 8 Allergen Free. We use corn tortillas, which could be swapped for flour if you do not have a gluten allergy. Otherwise, use corn or another safe taco shell (even lettuce wraps) to ensure that there are safe for yourself and/or family.
What are other vegan taco recipes that I should try?
Once you try this recipe, we will fall head over head in love. We also recommend that you try our Vegan Chorizo Burrito Bowls and/or Burritos! However if you are a die hard taco lover, here’s some delicious ideas to try:
Pin this Vegan Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos recipe for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Avocado Dip
- Diced Tomatoes
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Lettuce or Spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into small bite size pieces.
- Place pieces on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, agave, and 1 tbsp of the taco seasoning. Toss the ingredients together until well coated. Place into the oven for 15-30 minutes or until fork pierces through easily. (Time depends on how small you cut your pieces. Larger pieces take longer to cook.)
- While that is in the oven, chop onions finely and mince garlic.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and sauté until translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Next, add in black beans, 1 tbsp taco seasoning and juice from 2 limes. Heat through.
- If potatoes are done, remove from oven and add to the skillet. Carefully combine. If they are not done, turn off the heat from the skillet and set aside until sweet potatoes are ready. Then combine.
- Once mixed together, serve on corn tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!