These vegan quinoa and black bean tacos are made in just one skillet for a filling and easy vegan dinner idea. Top 8 Allergen free and oil free.
These vegan quinoa and black bean tacos are such a great spin on traditional tacos. Your family and friends will love the new meal idea and you will love how easily and quickly this comes together.
The quinoa goes directly into the mixture so there’s a delicious texture right from the start.
Everything also cooks easily in just one skillet, so there is less mess for you to clean up in the end.
While it’s cooking, we have a delicious, optional, avocado sauce that you can make to go over the top that just adds a color of color and a burst of flavor to your dish at the end.
This dish is just a win-win all around.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do I need to make vegan quinoa and black bean tacos?
You only need 12 ingredients to make this delicious vegan dinner and half of them are spices, ensuring for an easy meal.
The ingredients that you need are:
- vegetable stock
- red onion
- jalapeno (optional)
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
- smoked paprika
- tomato paste
- black beans
If you are wanting to make the optional vegan avocado sauce, then you will also need:
- jalapeno (optional)
Full ingredients amounts listed in the recipe card below.
How do you make vegan quinoa and black bean tacos?
To start you are going to want to chop your onion, garlic, and jalapeno if adding. Don’t worry about chopping the vegetables for the avocado sauce at this time, you can do that later.
In a large skillet with a lid, you are going to add about 2-3 tbsp of vegetable stock.
Add in your onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until it starts to get soft, then add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Then, you are going to add in your seasonings: the chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt, along with the tomato paste and jalapeno if adding. Stir together well. It’s okay if all the tomato paste isn’t combined.
Stir in your rinsed, drained quinoa. During this time, your tomato paste should all combine with the quinoa. Toast the quinoa for 1-2 minutes.
Add in your remaining vegetable stock, beans and corn and bring to a boil.
Cover and lower the heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. If a lot of liquid remains, cook another 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat, leaving covered for an additional 5 minutes.
While cooking, make avocado sauce if desired.
Remove lid, stir together again and serve with your favorite taco shells and toppings.
Can I prep these vegan tacos ahead of time?
Yes! Once the mixture is made and cooled, it can be stored in an air-tight container for 5-7 days in the fridge.
This makes it perfect for meal prepping vegan dinner ideas for yourself or your family. Just heat it up when ready to serve.
Are these vegan quinoa and black bean tacos Top 8 Allergen Free?
This recipe is already written to be Top 8 Allergen Free. You will want to make sure that you are using corn tortillas or gluten free tortillas instead of flour ones, or use the mixture over lettuce.
What other vegan dinner ideas should I try?
Here are some other vegan dinner ideas that we have that we think you may enjoy:
- Vegan Falafel Bowls (pictured above)
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Butter Pasta with Tomatoes, Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Chickpea Cashew & Broccoli in Garlic Sauce Skillet
- Vegan Taco Casserole
- Vegan Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Dairy Free Cheese Pizza
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin these vegan black bean and quinoa tacos for later:
Vegan Quinoa and Black Bean Tacos
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp vegetable stock (low sodium preferred), divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, optional, diced (more or less to taste)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp oregano (can sub for Italian seasoning if needed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 15oz can black beans (sub for cooked dried beans)
- 15oz can corn (sub for fresh)
- tortilla shells (corn or flour)
- diced tomatoes
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- vegan nacho cheese sauce (click link for recipe)
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, diced, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Chop onions, garlic, and jalapeno if adding. *Don't worry about chopping the vegetables for the avocado sauce at this time, you can do that later.
- In a large skillet with a lid, add about 2 tbsp of vegetable stock over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until it starts to get soft.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in your seasonings: chili powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt, along with the tomato paste and jalapeno if adding. Stir together well. *It's okay if all the tomato paste isn't combined entirely.
- Stir in rinsed, drained quinoa. Combine until all the tomato paste is incorporated. Toast the quinoa for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in remaining vegetable stock, beans and corn and bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower the heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes.
- If a lot of liquid remains, cook another 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, leaving covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir together again and serve with your favorite taco shells and toppings.
- While the quinoa mixture is cooking, add all the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until well combined (it should be smooth)
- Once quinoa and black bean mixture is done, put on top of tacos with your favorite toppings and avocado sauce if made.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!
This post was originally published on 2/7/2020 and updated on 4/9/2020.