The absolute best dairy free cheese pizza is perfect for any events you are hosting or just for tonight’s dinner. Super easy to make, completely vegan, and can be gluten free!
Pizza is a huge part of our culture. Whether we get together with friends, have an event to attend, or just want a Friday night ritual with our family, there’s usually pizza involved for many of us on a regular basis. It’s such a classic meal go to. It leaves you filled up and, for many, is a total comfort food. This classic dairy free cheese pizza is the perfect base!
One of the reason pizza is such a go to is that there are endless possibilities. You can literally make pizza so many different ways. And just because you are dairy free doesn’t mean that you should have to give any of that up. Truly, you should be able to have and enjoy a delicious dairy free pizza at any time.
Today, we’re sharing our very favorite vegan cheese pizza recipe, which is also a completely vegan cheese pizza recipe, but you can follow these steps to make any type of your favorite dairy free pizza as well. If you are gluten free, we will also be sharing how to make this a gluten free dairy free pizza too!
Watch how to make dairy free cheese pizza:
What ingredients do you need to make vegan cheese pizza:
You may be surprised to learn that you don’t need that many ingredients in order to make the best dairy free cheese pizza you’ve ever had at home. While many people are intimidated by using yeast and working with homemade dough, no one should be scared of making this dairy free pizza crust.
In order to make this vegan pizza recipe, you’re going to need:
- all purpose flour (can use Cup for Cup Gluten Free flour if gluten free)
- Active Dry Yeast
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Favorite Dairy Free Marina or Pizza Sauce
- Dairy Free Shredded Cheese
- Dairy Free Parmesan Cheese
- Optional: Any additional toppings you want
That’s it. Just 10 ingredients (9 if you’re one of those people who don’t count water as an ingredient) stand between you and a truly delicious dairy free cheese pizza.
How do you make dairy free cheese pizza?
Let’s get real serious here for just a second. You should be scared to make this dairy free pizza crust; however, you need to follow these directions closely. It’s not hard to make, but you can’t go adding a bunch of mis-measured ingredients.
In order to make this dairy free cheese pizza, you will start by adding some of the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a large bowl. Whisk that together. Then, you’ll add in warm water and olive oil and stir together. The next step in making this dairy free pizza crust, is to add more flour and then roll out onto a floured surface. You will add a little more flour at a time and knead it together for no more than two minutes.
Your dairy free pizza dough should not be sticky and once you get to that point, you will add the dairy free pizza crust dough back to the bowl, cover it with a large kitchen towel, and let sit for 45-60 minutes.
After 25 minutes, heat your oven to 500 degrees. Preheat your oven with your pizza stone inside of your oven.
After the dough has risen, you’re going to roll it out onto a floured piece of parchment paper. Roll the dairy free pizza crust out into a circle to be approximately 17 inches in diameter. Carefully make sure that your dough is as even as possible. Using a fork, poke hole gently around the pizza, avoiding the outer edge that will be your crust.
Add your dairy free pizza sauce and dairy free cheeses to your dairy free cheese pizza. If you are adding any other toppings to your dairy free pizza, they should be added at this point. Any dairy free toppings you are adding, should be cooked prior. Once you have all your toppings on you dairy free cheese pizza, then you can pick it up on the parchment paper and place it carefully on the pizza stone.
Cook the pizza for for 6-8 minutes. The edges should just start to be golden brown. Remove from heat. Let cool slightly, cut and serve.
What dairy free sides can I pair with this vegan cheese pizza?
You may be wondering what type of dishes you can pair with your dairy free cheese pizza. A no brainer is a delicious recipe of homemade french fries. If you’re looking for something light, a simple tomato and cucumber salad would be perfect!
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Dairy Free Cheese Pizza
- 3 cups flour, divided (use Gluten Free Cup for Cup flour if GF)
- 1 tbsp sugar (make sure it’s vegan, if you are)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (or 1 package)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce (more or less depending on preference)
- 1 cup dairy free cheese (Daiya Cutting Board is what we use in photo)
- 1/4 cup Dairy Free Parmesan
- Optional: Any additional toppings desired, cooked
- In a large bowl, add 1 3/4 cups flour with the sugar, yeast, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Salt. Whisk together
- Add the warm water and oil. Stir with a silicone spatula until a thick pancake like batter forms.
- Add 1 more cup of flour to the mixture and using spatula stir together, enough so the mixture holds together by itself.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and with a little flour on your hand, remove the dough mixture from your bowl onto the surface.
- Knead in another 1/4 cup flour (may need to add up to 1/2 cup) stopping once the dough is lump free. Do not overwork your dough.
- Place dough in a bowl and cover with a tea towel (or other kitchen towel that is large enough to cover bowl completely)
- Let the dough in the bowl sit, covered, for 45-60 minutes. (We like waiting until 60 minutes, but you can use after 45 if needed)
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone inside.
- Lightly flour a large piece of parchment paper
- Roll dough out onto floured surface. and spread out with your hands into approximately a 17 inch diameter.
- Poke the pizza with a fork gently all over except for the edge which will become your crust.
- Top with your pizza sauce, dairy free shredded and Parmesan cheese and any optional toppings you plan to use.
- Place dairy free pizza crust in in oven (still on parchment paper) for 7-8.
- Remove from oven. Let cool slightly. Cut into slices and serve immediately.
2. Do NOT overwork the dough. Each step should be just enough that you can move to the next one. This is especially important when you are kneading.
3. If you want to make a personal pizza size or very thin crust, you may cut the dough into two equal parts after kneading. You can make two pizzas this way or freeze half for later use.
4. You can let the dough sit up to 2 hours.
5. Don’t put a lot of sauce in the center of your dough or it will get soggy.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!