This vegan walnut meat skillet pizza makes a thick Chicago style deep dish pizza that is sure to be a hit! Switch up the toppings to create your own favorite vegan deep dish pizza!
If you have ever been to Chicago, then you have likely had deep dish pizza. Or even Colorado’s mountain high pizza. We recreated this vegan walnut meat skillet pizza to be a similar style.
We took two of our favorite recipes to create one delicious vegan pizza idea.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do you need to make a vegan skillet pizza?
There are only a few ingredients needed and then most of what is listed is topping ideas. Obviously, like any pizza, you can completely customize the pizza to make your own.
Full ingredient amounts listed below in the printable recipe card.
The ingredients that you need to make this recipe are:
- package instant yeast
- dairy free milk (we like oat – can use any non-strongly flavored dairy free milk)
- maple syrup
- red onion
- sun dried tomatoes in oil
- avocado (or olive) oil
- taco seasoning
- soy sauce (*See post for soy free options)
- juice of a lime
- bell peppers
- cherry tomatoes
- green onions
- red pepper flakes
- fresh basil leaves
- vegan parmesan
- vegan mozzarella
Can I prep this vegan skillet pizza ahead of time?
Once made, you can store this pizza in an air tight container and stored for 3-5 days. Just reheat when ready.
Can I make this vegan walnut meat skillet pizza Top 8 Allergen Free?
This dish contains nuts, wheat and soy.
The nuts are a main ingredients, so if you need to omit those, we recommend just making the pizza without the walnut meat and using your favorite toppings.
At this time we do not have a gluten free recommendation for the dough. We are working on a recipe.
Do I have to make this in a skillet?
No! The purpose of the skillet is to make this a deep dish pizza.
If you want a thinner pizza, then you can just roll out onto a pizza stone or pizza pan.
What else can I make with the vegan everything dough?
This recipe using our vegan everything dough that can be used for cinnamon rolls, pull apart bread, pretzel bites and more!
Grab our vegan everything dough recipe by clicking that link and you’ll get a ton more ideas!
Vegan Walnut Meat Skillet Pizza
- 12 in cast iron skillet
For the dough
For the walnut meat
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp soy sauce (See post for soy free options)
- 1 juice of a lime
For the Walnut Meat
- Soak walnuts in a bowl, covered with hot water for at least 30 minutes (best if done overnight).
- Drain walnuts. Put them into a food processor and pulse until you have meat like crumbles. *Be careful not to over process or you will end up with walnut butter.
- Chop onions, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes very fine.
- Add oil to a skillet, and saute your onions until translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Add in the garlic for 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning across and stir to combine. Add in sun-dried tomatoes. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in the crumbled walnut and stir very well. Pour in the soy sauce (or substitute) and the lime juice. Stir well. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Take off the stove.
For the Dough
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and salt.
- Then, add in the dairy free milk and maple syrup.
- Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, add to the cast iron skillet and push out until it reaches the sides as one big circle.
- Cover with a towel and let sit for 25-30 minutes in a warm, draft free place.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees.
Assembling the pizza
- When ready, leaving about a half inch all around for a crust, add a thin layer of marinara sauce to the inside.
- Sprinkle some chopped basil, a little vegan parmesan cheese, and some of the vegan taco meat.
- Layer the remaining toppings, leaving the rest of the vegan taco meat and the mozzarella for last.
- Cook for 13-15 minutes or golden brown crust and the center isn't doughy.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!