These Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Bean Tacos are one of the fastest vegan meals that you can create while be loaded with flavor! You’ll make them again and again!
If you are looking for a super quick and simple vegan dinner idea, then you are going to absolutely love these Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Bean Tacos. Even though that’s a mouthful to say, you only need 6 ingredients! Just 6! There’s more words in the title than ingredients needed.
They are kid friendly and did I mention they are easy to make?
You only need about 20 minutes to make these from start to finish and the only thing you’ll be left wondering is why it took us so long to get this recipe into your hands.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Bean Tacos INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these easy vegan black bean tacos:
- canned black beans – we are using canned black beans because we want this recipe to go fast. This recipe is supposed to be made up of ingredients that you already have in your fridge and pantry for the most part.
- vegan shredded cheese – You want a vegan shredded cheese that will meltable. You can use our shredded vegan cheese list to help
- vegan salsa – whatever your favorite salsa is, feel free to use it here. Be mindful that you want this on the thicker side so don’t use runny or more liquid versions if possible.
- taco seasoning – use your favorite recipe or use store bought. Just be mindful of the heat level and that you may need reduce the amount of seasoning if you or someone you are serving doesn’t do spice well
- flour tortillas – these are so soft to start with and then we crisp them up and you have the best of both worlds – soft and crispy
- oil or vegan butter – We are using one of these to give us that amazing crispy texture.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Beans – You could use dried black beans and make your own easy vegan black beans instead of using canned if preferred. Another alternative would be to use refried beans, pinto beans, or white beans. We love the taste and softness of the black beans but other variations work as well.
- Vegan cheese – you could use one of our vegan cheese sauces for this though it won’t help it stick together as well it will still be delicious. Try either our vegan nacho cheese (no nuts) or our vegan cashew queso
- Tortillas – you could also make this with corn tortillas
- Oil/Butter – if you don’t do oil, you could try to crisp these up in the oven or air fryer instead
Frequently Asked Questions:
Use corn tortillas instead of flour and then use a vegan shredded cheese that is safe for your allergens. You can look through our shredded vegan cheese guide to find one suitable for your needs. Also double check your taco seasoning mix if using store bought.
They are best served immediately, but you could also make them ahead in two ways. Make just the mixture and place in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use. Use this within 5 days.
The other option would be to make them entirely, then let cool and store in an air tight container in the fridge. To crisp them back up either put them back into a skillet (no extra oil needed, just watch carefully so they don’t burn) or an air fryer.
To crisp them back up either put them back into a skillet (no extra oil needed, just watch carefully so they don’t burn) or an air fryer. Alternatively, you could just warm back up in the microwave but they won’t be as crispy.
Black beans contain a healthy source of antioxidants, fiber, protein, and carbohydrates. Salsa has it’s own benefits as well. However, we are using processed vegan cheese and oil to making these crispy. So while you are getting some nutritional benefits, we wouldn’t recommend eating the vegan cheese or oil daily.
Yes! The tacos aren’t really in the pan long enough for the mixture to heat well first, so that’s why we recommend heating it first so you don’t need to warm up in the microwave after making. Plus, the heat mixture helps the vegan cheese to melt better.
Absolutely! This recipe only makes about 6 tacos; so if you need more than that, we recommend that you double or triple the recipe. Just add the same amount of ingredients and follow the same process.
Other tips for making these vegan black bean tacos:
- Make sure to thoroughly drain and rinse the beans. This also helps to reduce the amount of sodium the better you wash them.
- These are supposed to be a thin layer as that helps them stay crispy, melt the cheese better, and keep warm. If you want addition ingredients like sour cream or diced tomatoes serve them on the side or on top.
- Subtly change up the flavor by changing the bean choice or the salsa choice. Try this with white beans and hummus or keep the black beans and use a pineapple salsa instead.
- To make this go a little faster, you can microwave the black bean mixture instead of heating in a skillet, just be careful not to dry it out too much.
What toppings or sides go well with these Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Bean Tacos?
We highly recommend that you put these on top on serve on the side of your tacos and don’t try to stuff the tacos with more ingredients.
- vegan nacho cheese (no nuts) or
- vegan cashew queso
- Chipotle copycat guacamole or diced avocado
- green onions
- red or white diced onions
- diced tomatoes
- fresh lime juice
- vegan sour cream
- shredded vegan cheese
- black beans
- jalapenos (fresh or pickled)
A great side for this would be our copycat Chipotle recipes for roasted corn salsa or cilantro lime rice
What other vegan taco ideas could I make?
If you love tacos as much as us, you’ll want even more inspo and we’ve got it! Here’s 5 more vegan taco recipes:
- Vegan Cauliflower Tinga Tacos
- Grilled Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
- Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Vegan Cheesy Gordita Crunch (Taco Bell Copycat)
- Vegan Lentil Tacos with Spinach and Feta
Pin these Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Bean Tacos for later!
Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Bean Tacos
- 1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup salsa
- 1-2 tsp taco seasoning
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese, divided
- vegan butter or oil, divided
- any additional toppings, see post above for list of ideas
- In a food processor blend the beans, salsa, and taco seasoning until combined (until a similar texture to refined beans).
- In a skillet over medium heat add a teaspoon oil or vegan butter. When hot, add the black bean mixture in and cook it to heat it through, about 3-5 mins. Remove from heat.
- When ready, spoon about ⅙th of the mixture onto 1 half of a small flour tortilla. Spread it out from side to side with a spoon. Add ⅙th of the vegan cheese, then fold it closed. Repeat with remaining tacos.
- Heat a little oil or vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add taco in to fry about 1-2 mins on each side until golden brown and crunchy. Repeat process with oil/butter and tacos until you've done them all. Serve with desired toppings.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
My husband and I are addicted to these!
Thank you 🙂
So glad to hear!
Caught the video on YouTube and thought “Hey, even I can’t mess that up!” My daughter and I had them for Sunday Brunch today. What a joy! These were simple, inexpensive, and GOOOOOD! My daughter prepared some nice sides including avocado, cilantro, lettuce and fresh pico. Thanks for the recipe and providing the base for a nice family meal.
So happy that it was a hit with everyone!
I love this recipe! It’s so easy and quick to make. I cook half of a package of soyrizo in the skillet before I add the bean mixture. Soooo good!!
Loved this easy but tasty recipe. I am going to try some of your other recipes too.
So happy to hear that!
This is the second recipe I’ve tried this week from just one of Andrew’s videos. I usually just watch the videos where both of you, (and sometimes your girls) taste test vegan foods. I love those, but now I REALLY love your cooking videos! We had the pasta with creamy sun-dried sauce on the weekend, and tonight I made these. I’ve made black bean tacos before, but they were never this simple AND this delicious! I could not believe they had so much flavor with so few ingredients! Same with the pasta. Now I know I have to try ALL your recipes. You guys rock!
So happy to hear that you are loving the videos and recipes!
Made these for lunch today. They are delicious and so easy to make. Will definitely keep these in rotation!
so happy to hear that it was a hit!
Turned out great and very easy to make!
So glad to hear you enjoyed them
These tacos were so delicious and sooooo easy to make . I made them for my kids and they loved them .
Happy to hear it’s a hit with everyone!
These are amazing, and so simple! I now have a new weeknight staple for my family. ❤️
So happy that you enjoyed them!
These were delicious and soooo easy to make!
So glad to hear that
These are so quick to make!! And very delicious 😋 you can add so many things to these quesadillas! Even by themselves is also yummy ☺️
Happy you are loving them!
Love these! I’ve been making them about once a week and my husband loves them too! I leave the cheese out of mine but mash some avocado and spread it on top with some diced tomatoes, so good! Budget friendly too 😊
I loved these! Made them for dinner and they were a hit. I tend to spend too much time wondering what to make for dinner and more often than not, it’s later and I need something quick. These were perfect. I always have all these ingredients on hand and to make a quick and delicious dinner was perfect!!
Thank you for your fantastic recipes!!
So happy it was a hit