This perfect instant pot vegan black beans recipe will have you make delicious rice bowls, tacos and more!
If you have ever been to a Mexican or Spanish restaurant, or even just Chipotle, then you need this Instant Pot Black Beans recipe.
Dried black beans are healthier for you since they haven’t soaked in a brine; however, they usually take forever to make between a soaking time and then the actual cooking process.
With this Instant Pot black beans recipes, there is no soaking and only needs under an hour of cooking time! Crazy right!?
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I prep these Instant Pot vegan black bean ahead?
Yes. Once the black beans are made, let cool, and store in an air-tight container for up to a week in fridge.
Can you freeze this Instant Pot Vegan Black Beans Recipe?
Yes. Let cool completely once made and then store in freezer-safe container or zip-lock style bags for up to 6 months.
Can I make these Top 8 Allergen Free Instant Pot black beans?
This recipe as written is Top 8 Allergen Free already. As always, you should double check any labels you use (like vegetable stock) for any hidden allergens like soy or dairy.
What do you eat with Instant Pot vegan black beans?
You can eat black beans by themself if you really wanted, or you can serve with tortilla chips.
Other recipe ideas include:
- Vegan Quinoa and Black Bean Tacos
- As a side to our Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Cajun Sweet Potato and Black Bean Rice Bowls
Can I make these Instant Pot vegan black beans on the stove instead of the instant pot?
Yes, but it does require more time.
First, you will need to soak your beans for 8 hours or overnight. Directions should be on the back of your bean package. Drain beans after soaking.
Saute your chopped vegetables in a heavy bottomed stock pot or dutch oven. Then add all your other ingredients.
You will need to add an extra 2 cups of water or stock.
Bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce hit to simmer. Let cook for 3 hours. Check for doneness of the beans and continue cooking if needed until desired texture of the beans. Add more stock if needed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Pin these Instant Pot Vegan Black Beans for later!
Instant Pot Vegan Black Beans
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (can sub with olive or vegetable stock if oil free)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry black beans, picked over and beans removed
- 1 1/2 Cups vegetable stock
- Chop onions and garlic.
- Add olive oil (or vegetable stock) to the Instant Pot and hit the saute method. Allow it to heat up and add onions. Saute until soft (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in the garlic and seasoning and saute for 1 more minute. Turn off the saute method.
- Add in the dried beans and vegetable stock. Stir together and press the beans under the liquid.
- Put instant pot lid onto the body and close the lid. Make sure that the pressure valve is sealed.
- Press manual and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes.
- When the time goes off, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then Quick Release. *If you are not sure about this, please read your manual.
- Stir everything together.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!