This perfect instant pot vegan black bean soup takes you from dried to super soft beans in just over an hour. Perfect for chilly days!
Whether you lead an active life and need quick meals or you are just looking for something warm and cozy for colder days, this Instant Pot vegan black bean soup will hit the spot!
While the main recipe is all about the Instant Pot cooking method, we do explain below how to make vegan black bean soup on the stove as well.
Soups during the colder months are a great way to fill up bellies and provide comforting meals.
Usually, noodle soups or ramen or vegetable soups are the top of the list, but once you try this delicious vegan black bean soup, you will want to put this one up there too.
Dried black beans are healthier for you since they haven’t soaked in a brine; however, they usually take forever to make between a soaking time and then the actual cooking process.
With this Instant Pot black bean soup method, there is no soaking and only needs an hour of cooking time! Crazy right!?
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do you need for Instant Pot vegan black bean soup?
This recipe doesn’t even need a lot of ingredients! Just 10 (plus salt and pepper) total ingredients.
- Olive oil (or vegetable stock if oil free)
- Red onion
- Red bell pepper (could use any other color)
- Chili powder
- Dried oregano
- Dry black beans (see below about canned beans)
- Bay leaves
- Vegetable Stock
- Salt and black pepper
- Any optional topping (green onions, avocado, limes, more bell peppers)
How do you make Instant Pot vegan black bean soup?
To start, you want to chop your onions, garlic, carrots and pepper.
Then add your olive oil (or vegetable stock) to the Instant Pot and hit the saute method. Allow it to heat up and then add in your onions, pepper, and carrots. Saute until soft (about 3-4 minutes).
Add in the garlic and seasoning and saute for 1 more minute. Turn off the saute method.
Add in the dried beans, vegetable stock, and water.
Put your instant pot lid onto the body and close the lid. Make sure that the pressure valve is sealed.
Then, press manual and cook on high pressure for 1 hour. When the time goes off, let the pressure release via Quick Release. *If you are not sure about this, please read your manual.
Stir everything together.
To thicken, you can
- Use a potato masher to mash some of the beans right in the instant pot
- Use an immersion blender in the instant pot
- or pull some of the mixture out and place in a blender and blend (like 2 cups)
If you prefer a thinner soup like you see when you open the Instant Pot lid, you can do nothing.
Can I prep vegan black bean soup ahead?
Yes. Once this soup is made, let cool, and store in an air-tight container for up to a week in fridge.
Can you freeze this Instant Pot Vegan Black Bean Soup?
Yes. Let cool completely once made and then store in freezer-safe container or zip-lock style bags for up to 6 months.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free black bean soup?
This soup as written is Top 8 Allergen Free already. As always, you should double check any labels you use (like vegetable stock) for any hidden allergens like soy or dairy.
What do you eat with vegan black bean soup?
You can eat black bean soup by itself, or you can serve with tortilla chips or even homemade garlic bread.
Top with things like cilantro, avocado, chopped bell peppers for some crunch, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese and more.
Can I make this vegan black bean soup on the stove instead of the instant pot?
Yes, but it does require more time.
First, you will need to soak your beans for 8 hours or overnight. Directions should be on the back of your bean package. Drain beans after soaking.
Saute your chopped vegetables in a heavy bottomed stock pot or dutch oven. Then add all your other ingredients.
You will need to add an extra 2 cups of water or stock.
Bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce hit to simmer. Let cook for 3 hours. Check for doneness of the beans and continue cooking If needed until desired texture of the beans. Add more stock if needed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Can I use canned black beans for vegan black bean soup in the instant pot?
Yes! If you do this, drain and rinse the beans from the can and proceed with the recipe as written, except only use 1 cup of water instead of two. I Reduce the cooking time to 30 minutes on high pressure.
What are other vegan soups I should make?
Fall is all about comfort food. Warmth and filling meals is what we crave.
Naturally, we want more of those delicious recipes at out fingertips and we are happy to oblige those needs.
If you are looking for more vegan soup recipes you should try our:
- Vegan Apple Chili
- Loaded or Not – Vegan Potato Soup
- Easy Sweet Potato Stew
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup (Condensed and Soup versions)
Pin this Instant Pot Vegan Black Bean soup for later:
Instant Pot Vegan Black Bean Soup
- 6 qt Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable stock if oil free)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (can use another color pepper)
- 2 large carrots, diced small
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 ½ cups dry black beans, picked over and beans removed
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
Optional Toppings/What To Serve With
- tortilla chips
- homemade garlic bread.
- fresh bell pepper, chopped
- vegan cheese
- vegan sour cream
- Chop onions, garlic, carrots and pepper.
- Add olive oil (or vegetable stock) to the Instant Pot and hit the saute method. Allow it to heat up and add onions, pepper, and carrots. Saute until soft (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in the garlic and seasoning and saute for 1 more minute. Turn off the saute method.
- Add in the dried beans, vegetable stock, and water.
- Put instant pot lid onto the body and close the lid. Make sure that the pressure valve is sealed.
- Press manual and cook on high pressure for 1 hour.
- When the time goes off, let the pressure release via Quick Release. *If you are not sure about this, please read your manual.
- Stir everything together.
- To thicken either-1. Use a potato masher to mash some of the beans right in the instant pot2.Use an immersion blender in the instant pot 3. pull some of the mixture out and place in a blender and blend (like 2 cups)*If you prefer a thinner soup like seen when removing Instant Pot lid, skip this step.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Yum! This black bean soup is now our go to when we wanna feel warm & cozy on a cold night. Easy to make, incredibly delicious & it makes a great amount for lots of leftovers!
So happy that you like it! Thanks for taking time to leave a review, we really appreciate it!