These easy vegan lentil tacos with spinach and feta are a delicious and easy 30 minute vegan dinner idea that everyone will love!
When we first went vegan if you told us we’d be eating and enjoying things like lentil tacos, we probably would have laughed at you. Lentils were reserved for things like vegan lentil soup. But when we tell you these vegan lentil tacos with spinach and feta are good, they are good!
To be honest, when we thought of the idea, we had no expectation for our kids to like them. They are in a weird space where they can’t decide if they want to be picky or not. Thankfully, more times than not, they agree that their parents are good cooks.
This is one of the times they not only agreed, but they asked for seconds.
That’s a huge win, so we are confident that your family will love them too.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can these vegan lentil tacos be Top 8 Allergen Free?
The main recipe for the lentil filling in these vegan lentil tacos is written to be Top 8 Allergen Free.
The vegan feta (Violife) that we have seen most available does contain coconut oil, so you can omit that if allergic or oil free. For a similar texture you can replace with small diced avocado.
The only other thing is what tortillas you choose. Use gluten free or corn tortillas if you have a gluten allergy or you could put the mixture over top of baked potatoes.
Can I prep these vegan lentil tacos ahead of time?
Yes! The mixture for these lentil tacos can be prepped up to 5 days in advance, making them great for meal preppings. Just reheat in the microwave or over the stove as desired.
What are the best types of lentils to use in this recipe?
There are a lot of lentil variations and so it may be confusing, especially if you aren’t used to cooking with lentils or you are knew to the plant based world.
Brown or green lentils are the best types of lentils to use in these vegan lentil tacos and that’s because they hold their shape well.
Red lentils are best for soups or purees because they break down much more easily .
What type of vegan feta are you using?
In the photos, we are using the Violife brand vegan feta. We like that this feta crumbles easily and reminds us of traditional feta.
Recently, Follow Your Heart came out with vegan feta, but we have not yet seen that on our store shelves.
Should I let my lentils soak before cooking?
This is a personal decision. We don’t.
However, if you have trouble digesting legumes or other beans, then we would suggest that you soak them for at least 30 minutes up to overnight before making the recipe.
WHAT ARE TOPPING IDEAS FOR THESE VEGAN LENTIL TACOS?
We only topped them with some fresh cherry tomatoes, the vegan feta, and some salsa when our family ate them; however, you can add as much or as little as you want.
Here’s some other topping ideas for this recipe:
- diced tomatoes
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- green onions
- black olives
- vegan nacho cheese
- vegan sour cream
- red onions
- roasted red peppers
- pico de gallo
WHAT OTHER VEGAN MEXICAN INSPIRED TYPE DISHES SHOULD I MAKE?
If you love this easy vegan dinner recipe, you may be wondering what other ideas we have. Here are some more ideas we think you’ll love:
- Vegan Instant Pot Tex Mex Rice
- Vegan Taco Casserole
- Tex Mex Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
- Vegan Walnut Meat Cheese Fries
- Vegan Southwest Egg Rolls
- Quinoa and Black Bean Tacos (pictured above)
- Vegan Mexican Pizza (Taco Bell Copycat)
Pin for vegan lentils tacos with spinach and feta for later:
Vegan Lentil Tacos with Spinach and Feta
- ½ cup green or brown lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- ¾ yellow pepper, diced (any color will work)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quaratered
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional (more or less to taste)
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 8 your favorite tortilla shells, use gluten free if needed (Plant based option: Serve over baked potatoes)
- ½ cup vegan feta, crumbled (omit if oil free and replace with avocado)
- additional favorite taco toppings
- In a pot, over medium heat, bring the water and vegetable stock to a boil. Add in lentils. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- While that's cooking, chop your vegetables.
- Remove from heat. Drain the lentils but reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Into a skillet, add 3 tablespoon of the cooking liquid over medium heat.
- Once bubbling, add the onions and peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Add in the garlic, cherry tomatoes, taco seasoning, oregano and garlic powder.
- If you need more cooking liquid add a few more tablespoons here. Let cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the lentils and spinach. Stir often until spinach has completely wilted.
- Remove from heat. Serve over desired tortillas or baked potatoes.
- Top with vegan feta, more cherry tomatoes, and any other favorite taco toppings.