This is the BEST Vegan Cashew Queso that you’ve ever tried. Ready in just 10 minutes with a high powdered blender. No carrots or potatoes.
It’s no secret in the vegan world that raw cashews make an amazing base for great sauces. This is the best vegan cashew queso recipe and we’re serious about that.
Queso is different than nacho cheese in that it’s supposed to have different seasoning profile. Not only that but it should also be more buttery and milky than a nacho cheese or other cheese sauce as well.
We knew that cashews would be a great option for even more creaminess.
This is so easy to make! Just 10 minutes total time. We do give instructions on making a nut free version below.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What blender are you using to make this?
We are using the New Nutribullet Smart Touch Blender Combo for this recipe. You can learn more about it here.
Do I have to use a blender?
While we think a high powdered blender is the easiest and fastest way to make this dairy free queso recipe, it isn’t the only way to make it.
You could also use a food processor by adding all the ingredients together and blending until smooth and thickened.
If you make it this way, you do need to soak the cashew either overnight or at least 30 minutes in boiling hot water.
Is this a gluten free vegan cashew queso?
Yes! This recipe is completely gluten free. We do always recommend checking your ingredients, especially spices, depending on how gluten sensitive you are.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergy Friendly Cashew Queso?
Make sure that you are using a soy free dairy free butter like Flora or Earth Balance soy free in the red tub. In addition, make sure that you are using a Top 8 Free milk like oat, flax, or hemp. To be honest, we prefer using oat or Not Milk.
Can I prep this ahead?
Yes! You can prep this recipe ahead of time. We recommend storing in an air tight container for up to 14 days.
What is the best way to reheat vegan cashew queso?
The best way is to reheat on the stove and stir constantly. If you want it quicker, then you can reheat in 15 second intervals in the microwave.
It is normal in the microwave that it get thick on the outside and will appear clumpy when stirring which is why we recommend reheating on the stove.
What are ways that I can use this easy vegan cashew queso?
Obviously you can just spoon it into your mouth, but you also could use tortilla chips. Some other ideas for how to use this vegan nacho cheese are:
- Instant Pot Vegan Tex Mex Rice
- On top of your Dairy Free Nachos
- Vegan Taco Casserole instead of the shredded cheese
- As a sauce on the best vegan black bean burger
- Vegan Chorizo Burrito Bowls
- Make tacos with our Walnut Taco Meat or Sweet Potato and Black Bean tacos
- Mix in or on top over our Jackfruit and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Make Cheese Dogs with our Homemade Vegan Hot Dog Recipe
- Perfectly on top of our Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Pin this vegan cashew queso for later!
The Best Vegan Cashew Queso
- 2 cups raw cashews (not roasted)
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ -2 cups unsweetened dairy free milk
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 adobo chili in sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you can find it)
- Pour all ingredients into a high powered blender. *Start with 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk and increase if needed for consistency. **See notes if you do not have a blender.
- Blend for 5 minutes or until a thickened, creamy, well-combined sauce.
- Serve warm.
- Top with diced tomatoes and/or jalapenos to serve
- Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 10 days.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Can I use silken tofu in place of the cashews?
We haven’t tried it, but yes it should work
I look forward to making this!
For the Non-dairy milk, is almond ok for this recipe or do you recommend something different?
yes, almond will work!
Hi Larisha! You and Andrew are amazing, I love your vibes and your food!
Quick question — when you say 1 adobe chili in sauce, should we put in one can or put in just one pepper from a can?
Hi Andrew and Larisha, thank you for your work and recipes. In this one (The Best Vegan Cashew Queso) when you mention “2 cups raw cashews (not roasted)” do yo mean that the cashews are:
1) not soaked at all (pure dry) – same 2 cups dry
2) soaked by a few hours – same 2 cups but soaked and soft ?
Thank you for your answer,
Hi! Sorry for any confusion. For the cashews, use raw, not roasted cashews. Measure 2 cups dry. If using a high speed blender, you do not need to soak. If you have a basic blender or food processor, you will need to soak cashews overnight or 30 minute in boiling hot water.
Hi, Larisha, thank you.