These easy grilled vegan jackfruit tacos are a delicious summer recipe that is infused with flavor and paired with our homemade vegan BBQ sauce.
If you loved pulled pork or chicken before going vegan, then you will loved these grilled vegan jackfruit tacos.
The texture of jackfruit when cooked and then shredded is so similar to pulled meats that you may be taken aback a little bit. Like “did someone give me the wrong thing?” Even though you actually made this. You will still be questioning your darn self.
While we pair this with our homemade vegan BBQ sauce, you can switch up the sauces that you like and get creative with how you made it.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED FOR GRILLED VEGAN JACKFRUIT TACOS?
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make the best meat free grilled tacos:
- green jackfruit – the star of our dish and one of the best options for getting a vegan meat like texture. It’s
- bbq rub – we make our own recipe which we are sharing here today which combines a lot of common spice ingredients put together to make one delicious seasoning for our jackfruit.
- bbq sauce – if you ever get a chance to make your own BBQ sauce, you absolutely should. The flavors are so much more bold and the spices that go into them are just amazing. You won’t regret taking a few extra minutes to make your own.
- corn tortillas – these are lighter and airier than flour tortillas so it really allows the flavors to burst through
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Meat Substitute – you can also grill tofu or seitan for a different meat substitute. While you won’t be able to shred it the same, it will still be delicious in your tacos
- Spice Rub – you can use any of your favorite all purpose seasoning. While everyone will get slight taste differences, it’s fun to experiment sometimes
- Sauce -While BBQ sauce is the traditional sauce with pulled meats, you can explore here and use your imagination to create something epic. Try a sweet mustard sauce, chimichurri sauce, or a vegan vodka sauce.
- corn tortillas – these can be swapped with flour tortillas, tostadas, lettuce wraps or even sandwich buns.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
What is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is truly a fruit. It is common in Southern Asian cuisines and can be consumed both ripe and unripe. For many years it was only available canned or frozen, but as the popularity grows, you can even find fresh jackfruit in the US at some markets.
Does jackfruit taste like meat?
Unripe jackfruit is what is used for meat substitutes. There isn’t much flavor when tasting it unseasoned during this staged. When cooked and seasoned like you would season meat, that’s when jackfruit can really taste like meat.
What are jackfruit tacos?
Jackfruit tacos are tacos that have all your favorite toppings like vegan cheese, cabbage or lettuce, avocado and more. But it also has jackfruit to make these jackfruit tacos.
What does jackfruit meat look like?
Canned jackfruit that is unripe is a tan or cream color and usually cut into triangle shapes with a hard core towards the end. There are also seeds, sometimes called eyes, that can be consumed as well.
Should I use fresh or canned jackfruit?
Fresh jackfruit is extremely hard to cut and consume. For that reason, we highly recommend that you used canned jackfruit in brine for this recipe. Make sure that it says green jackfruit and it does not say in syrup as that would be sweet.
Is the jackfruit core edible?
The core is edible, but it takes longer to cook. For that reason, we say to omit it; however, if you would like a zero waste dish then you can leave it in. We recommend that you cook on the lowest head possible after adding it to the BBQ sauce and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes. You may need to make 1 1/2 x the amount of sauce as directed.
Can I cook this in a skillet instead of the grill?
Absolutely. You can pan sear the jackfruit when it calls for cooking on the grill if needed.
How long is grilled vegan jackfruit tacos good for?
We don’t recommend trying to assemble and then store your tacos. However, the jackfruit meat itself will last covered in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Can grilled bbq jackfruit be frozen?
Yes! Let it cool completely and then store in the freezer in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free?
Yes! This recipe is easily Top 8 Allergen Free. Just follow the directions for making the BBQ sauce Top 8 Free and you will be good to go.
What other vegan jackfruit ideas could I make?
We have two other vegan jackfruit recipes on our site that we think you’ll love (more to come!)
Pin these grilled vegan jackfruit tacos for later!
Grilled Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
BBQ Dry Rub (or use store bought)
Vegan BBQ Sauce (or use store bought)
- 1 recipe homemade vegan BBQ sauce
- 2 20 oz cans green jackfruit
- 2 tbsp high heat oil (like canola or grapeseed)
- 8 corn tortillas (can use flour or tostada shells)
- sliced avocado
- shredded red cabbage
- vegan feta cheese
- Preheat grill over high heat (400-500 degrees).
- Combine all the seasoning for the BBQ dry rub together in a small bowl. Set Aside.
- Make BBQ sauce according to directions. Set Aside.
- Drain and rinse your canned jackfruit. Cut off the hard pieces off the ends of each piece of jackfruit. Add jackfruit to a large bowl.
- Drizzle oil across and very gently combine. Sprinkle the dry rub across and very gently combine. Push 5-6 pieces of seasoned jackfruit onto a skewer. Repeat until no pieces of jackfruit remain.
- Place skewers onto grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip and then cook another 3-4 minutes.
- After cooked, push the jackfruit off the skewers and into the BBQ sauce. Stir together. It’s ok with the jackfruit breaks apart here in the sauce.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often. Turn down heat if it starts to stick.
- Remove from the burner and add jackfruit and sauce to a plate. Using two forks shred the jackfruit.
- Add shredded jackfruit taco shells with any additional toppings desired.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!