Move over loaded potatoes, these vegan taco stuffed avocados are going to be your new favorite idea! Great for lunch or dinner!
We love baked potatoes, but if you have never tried a stuffed avocado, then you are going to be so surprised at how shockingly amazing it is.
We don’t know about you but we love avocado on our tacos, or even guacamole. However, this takes all the work out of preparing it and allows you to just have it all together without cutting or mashing.
Because potatoes take so long to heat up, this is a great way to really reduce the time that it takes to make dinner and you can have this done from start to finish in under 30 minutes.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
VEGAN TACO STUFFED AVOCADO INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make these easy stuffed avocados:
- avocados – the star of the show and what makes the stuffed recipe go so much faster. Avocados are loaded with healthy fats and lots of nutrients for an awesome meal.
- onions – add our aromatics to our dish. We are using a sweet onion, but you can also use a yellow onion
- vegan meat crumbles – you can use vegan ground meat like Lightlife or Beyond or you can use frozen crumbles like Gardein or Morningstar.
- spices – we have made a unique combination of spices to give that taco seasoning flavor with things you likely already have in your spice cabinet
- tomato sauce – this inside your taco meat helps it not be so dry and adds more flavor without adding chunks of tomatoes
- peach salsa – this is optional, but we love it together.
Substitutions and Variations:
- avocados – switch it up with a baked potato, peppers, zucchini, eggplant, acorn or butternut squash. So many possibilities
- vegan meat crumbles – you could sub with jackfruit, soy curls, TVP, mushrooms, and more
- spices – use a store bought taco seasoning to taste instead
- tomato sauce – sub with diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- peach salsa – sub with any salsa that you love
How to make the best vegan stuffed avocados?
- Wait until your avocados are perfectly ripe. You don’t want them to be hard, but not overly soft as well. They should still have a bit of a bite to them.
- We understand this may mean you are eating your stuffed avocados are 2:25am because avocados are finicky like that (this is just a joke)
- Use the spice blend we combined – we really love this combination of flavors and this that you will too
How to make the vegan stuffed avocados faster?
This dish is already insanely fast to make; however, it’s also great for meal prep so you could double the recipe and freeze half of the vegan meat mixture for later so then when you want it again it’s already prepared and just needs to thaw out.
Frequently Asked Questions for Vegan Taco Stuffed Avocados:
Most meat alternatives have wheat and/or soy. You can use one like Lightlife that is free of those but does contain coconut. To be completely Top 9 Free – sub the meat sub for beans, mushrooms, jackfruit, or something similar.
We don’t recommend that you stuff the avocado ahead of time, but the vegan meat mixture can be made ahead of time. The mixture can be store in an air tight container for 5-7 days.
Yes! Let cool completely and then store in a freezer safe bag or container for up to
Yes! Add vegetable stock or even water to saute the onions in the beginning instead of water. Because the vegan meat alternatives also have oil, you’ll want to sub that for a plant based alternative.
Whether you don’t like somewhere that has vegan meat alternatives or you choose not to eat them, you can sub the crumbles with mushrooms, black beans, jackfruit, textured vegetable protein (TVP), or get creative with your own idea!
Yes, double, triple, halve it, you can make as much or as little as your need
What other vegan dinner ideas could I make?
If you love tacos as much as us, you’ll want even more inspo and we’ve got it! Here’s more vegan taco recipes:
- Sheet Pan Vegan Cauliflower Fajitas
- Easy Cheesy Crispy Vegan Black Beans Tacos
- Vegan Cauliflower Tinga Tacos
- Grilled Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
- Tofu Taco Crumbles
- Vegan Cheesy Gordita Crunch (Taco Bell Copycat)
- Vegan Lentil Tacos with Spinach and Feta
Pin this vegan taco stuffed avocado for later!
Vegan Taco Stuffed Avocado
For the Vegan Taco Meat2
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 16 oz vegan ground meat/crumbles
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (can sub regular paprika)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, OPTIONAL
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, more to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 avocados, ripe
For Peach Mango Salsa, Optional
- 1 cup fresh roma tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup fresh peaches, peeled, diced
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup fresh mango, diced
- 2 tablespoon fresh jalapeno, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
Additional Topping Ideas
- green onions
- vegan cheese shreds
- crispy fried onions or jalapenos
- fresh or pickled jalapenos
- If making the peach salsa, make that first by combining all the ingredients into a bowl and then placing in the fridge for the flavors to come together while you make the rest of the recipe.
- In a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium high.
- Add onion and saute for 4-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Stirring often.
- Add in vegan meat to the skillet. If using ground, use a wooden spoon to break into smaller pieces. Cook according to package directions depending on the brand used.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add in spices and tomato sauce and mix well to combine. Continue to cook 3-4 to heat through. Remove from heat.
- Slice open avocado and remove the pit. Add the vegan meat mixture into each avocado. Top with desired toppings.