This vegan spicy chickpeas with tomato basil pasta is an absolutely delicious and easy vegan dinner idea that can be completely Top 8 Free.
If you are looking for a delicious an easy vegan pasta dish then we got you covered! This vegan spicy chickpeas with tomato basil pasta is a hit and can be easily top 8 allergen friendly so it’s perfect no matter who you are serving!
This dish is easy to make and ready in under 30 minutes. It also plates beautifully so if you are looking to impress something with your new baking skills, then this could totally be a recipe that you use for that!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make vegan spicy chickpeas with tomato basil pasta Top 8 Allergen Free?
Yes! First we need to look at the pasta. We are using wheat but feel free to use your favorite gluten free variety.
We also need to look at the vegan parmesan. We are using Violife; however, that can be replaced with our vegan sunflower parmesan version.
The pesto part of the dish also calls for nuts or sunflower seeds so just make sure to use the sunflower seeds.
Other than that, all of the ingredients in this dish are top 8 allergen friendly.
Can this vegan pasta dish be prepped ahead?
It’s really really delicious right away. However, it does heat up well.
We recommend heating in the microwave or back on the stove top.
Store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge after it has cooled completely.
WHAT SIDES TO SERVE WITH THIS VEGAN CREAMY PASTA DISH?
There are endless possibilities but a side salad and some bread are great starting points.
Here’s some bread ideas:
- Vegan Italian Cheesy Bread Rolls
- Vegan Garlic Bread
- Easy Vegan Dinner Rolls
- Vegan Garlic Knots (photo shown above)
What other vegan pasta ideas could I make?
Who doesn’t love pasta? Especially in colder months, it can be a total comfort food.
Here’s some more delicious vegan pasta dishes:
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Vegan One Pot Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- One Pot Vegan Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Vegan Mac and Cheese Pasta
- Vegan Pumpkin Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Spinach
- The Best Vegan Lasagna
- Vegan Alfredo
- Vegan Cheesy Hamburger Helper Skillet
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Spinach and Walnut Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Carbonara
- Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chickpea Pasta
Pin this vegan spicy chickpeas with tomato basil pasta for later:
Vegan Spicy Chickpeas with Tomato Basil Pasta
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil (can sub with another neutral oil or vegetable stock)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes (start with 1, up to 2 for extra spicy or reduce to much less if you don't want spicy)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seed (or 1/2 tsp ground mustard)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 28oz cans San Marzano Whole Tomatoes (can use another whole tomato brand)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, optional (can sub with coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- 1/2 lb pasta (we used linguine but any pasta can be used)
- Add oil to a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add chickpeas and saute for together.
- Add in the smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, mustard seed, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir together well. Cook for 5 mins or until chickpeas are crispy. Stirring occasionally. Remove chickpeas to a plate once down.
- While that's cooking, add all the pesto ingredients except the oil into a food processor and blend slowly pouring in the oil until well combined. Set aside.
- In the same skillet or pot, add the tomatoes and mash them down with a potato masher or a spatula.
- Add 2/3 cup of the pesto and bring the skillet to a simmer with medium heat. Cook for 10 – 15 mins while stirring every few minutes. The sauce should thicken a bit as it reduces.
- While cooking down, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta according to instructions.
- When sauce is ready add in brown sugar and parmesan and stir to combine with the sauce.
- Drain your pasta and add it to the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add chickpeas in and stir or top bowls with them when serving.
- *Use remaining pesto as a dipping sauce for something else.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!