This easy vegan pumpkin mac and cheese comes together in 30 minutes and is an absolute hit! A simple and easy way to add pumpkin flavor to a savory dish.
Pumpkin season is here and oh my goodness if you don’t make anything else with pumpkin, yall! Make this vegan pumpkin mac and cheese.
It is so creamy, so delicious and oh so easy to make.
We all know that there are people that love pumpkin everything and others who grumble their way through fall at the thought of anything pumpkin.
If you are here reading this, you are probably in the first group; however, if you happen to be in the second group or even somewhere in the middle, we hope that we can convince you to try this.
Often times, you hear pumpkin being used in sweet dishes and yes, we have quite a few of them ourselves. But when you add pumpkin to savory dishes, you get something super incredible too.
This recipe is an absolute must try!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
CAN I MAKE THIS TOP 8 ALLERGEN FRIENDLY MAC AND CHEESE?
One of our main goals for this besides making just a delicious vegan macaroni and cheese was to make it allergy friendly as well.
There are a few ingredients that we need to look out for in how our recipe is written, but let’s get to it.
To start, you want to use a gluten free pasta. There are so many choices available now, so just use the one that you like the best.
For the vegan butter, ensure that it is soy free. We prefer earth balance soy free when it comes to this. It comes in a red tub.
Then, we have dairy free milk. We actually prefer oat milk for this because it’s creamier. Most dairy free oat milks are certified gluten free, so just double check your labels.
And then we have the vegan parmesan cheese. We are use Violife in this recipe, which does contain coconut oil, but no other allergens. If you have a coconut allergen, you can use Follow Your Heart parmesan.
We also have a vegan parmesan on our site that you can make with sunflower seeds; however, it doesn’t melt well which is why we recommend using one of the store bought brands.
Also make sure that you pick a shredded dairy free cheese that is safe for your allergies.
Hopefully that helps you create the perfect vegan pumpkin macaroni and cheese that is suitable for your allergies.
CAN I PREP THIS VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, you have two options.
One, you can make the cheese sauce ahead and leave in the fridge up to 7 days in advance. And then make the pasta and finish the recipe.
Or two, you can make the entire recipe and then just reheat when ready. You may need to add a splash or two of milk if doing it this way.
Can I make this with other squash?
Pumpkin is the go to in the fall; however, it’s not the only member of the squash family that you could use for this recipe.
Feel free to swap out the pumpkin for another pureed squash like butternut squash or acorn squash.
Does it matter what type of pasta that I use?
Mac and cheese traditionally made with macaroni; however, you don’t only have to use that in this recipe.
It does do well with tubular shaped pasta, like penne, and even ones like rotini or shells that can pick up and hold onto all the sauce.
Pin this vegan pumpkin mac and cheese for later:
Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups macaroni noodles, uncooked (Use gluten free if needed)
- 1 15oz can pureed pumpkin , about 2 cups (*see notes)
- 1 cup dairy free milk (we like oat for this)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese (we use Violife for this recipe)
- 2 cups vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to the package. Drain noodles once done and set aside.
- While noodles cook, add pureed squash, dairy free milk, nutritional yeast, butter, lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika and parmesan cheese to a high powdered blender.
- Blend this until very well combined about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.*If using a high powdered blender, this will be warm already.
- Once noodles are cooked and drained, return to pan, pour the cheese over the noodles and add in the vegan cheddar cheese over medium low heat.
- Stir together often until all the vegan cheese shreds have melted and heated through.
- Remove from heat. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.
★★★★★ Did you make this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating below!
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!