Easy and filling vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is great for breakfast or brunch! All made in one skillet.
There is something just so so so good about a perfectly seasoned and pan fried breakfast hash. This vegan Mexican sweet potato breakfast hash is no exception.
It’s all made in just one pan (we prefer a cast iron) and can be completely customized to whatever your family likes to have at breakfast.
This one can even be made a day ahead of time so you have plenty of time to do all the other tasks that you need to get done with breakfast ready and out of the way.
Whether you are looking for a skillet potatoes recipe for the holidays or just a weekend breakfast option, this is the perfect solution for you.
This particular breakfast hash recipe uses mostly plant based ingredients and because of that is:
- dairy free
- egg free (see note options)
- gluten free
There are also a ton of tips below that can help you make this in a way that can really help your specific dietary needs.
This vegan breakfast hash is completely customizable.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is sweet potato hash?
Breakfast hash or breakfast skillets are usually one pan recipes that include potatoes (in this case sweet potatoes), peppers, onions, seasonings, and may include more. Sometimes it is a meal itself and other times it is the side dish.
What ingredients do I need to make this vegan breakfast hash recipe?
One of the great things about making a vegan breakfast hash is that the possibilities are endless.
This particular breakfast skillet can be made to suit a variety of dietary lifestyles, but simple swaps can also be made if you don’t have that particular needs.
We wanted to talk about some of the key ingredients in this vegan potato hash recipe:
- Sweet Potatoes
- You can use orange or purple
- Alternatively you could use regular russet or yukon potatoes for this as well but the taste will be different
- Green Bell Peppers
- we love the color that a variety you can use red, orange or yellow as well
- We use a sweet onion here to continue playing on the sweetness of the sweet potatoes; however, you could use a yellow onion if needed
- Sweet Corn
- Seasonally it may be harder to find fresh corn; although if you can we highly recommend using that over a canned variety
- Black Beans
- We love the flavor combo but feel free to swap with pinto beans or even chickpeas for a different take on the dish
Tips for Making a Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash Recipe Perfectly
One skillet meals are some of the best for easy clean up purposes, but this Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is absolutely amazing and simple.
Still, there are some steps that you really need to follow in order to perfect it.
For starters, you need to try to get all the potatoes to be an equal size of each other (roughly). Peppers and onions also benefit from this.
The reason you want all the potatoes to be the same size is because it will ensure even cooking throughout your dish. Otherwise, you are going to have some potatoes overcooked (mushy or burnt) and some undone (crunchy). You want the perfect balance and do that that you need equal sizes.
After you have your potatoes chopped, you are going to want to pat dry off with a kitchen towel. The less moisture the better so they are able to get a nice sear on them once they hit the oil
This Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is completely customizable and we wanted to give a few ideas for additions to the dish:
- Russet or Yukon potatoes – you can swap these for the sweet potatoes if you prefer
- Vegan Butter – you can swap this with any oil or if you are oil free you can use stock – see the oil free notes below
- Vegan Breakfast Sausage or Soyrizo
- Spinach or Kale
- Vegan Cheese
- Vegan Eggs (try Just Egg or our Easy Vegan Tofu Scramble)
Serve with a side of sliced or mashed avocado. Top with cilantro or a side of salsa if desired. Or even just top with ketchup!
Do I have to use a cast iron skillet?
We prefer using a cast iron because it cooks more evenly and is perfect for pan frying potatoes like in this vegan breakfast hash. However, you can use any large skillet.
Can this Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash be prepped ahead?
Yes! You can fully make these and then heat up for 3-5 days. It definitely tastes better right out of the skillet as soon as it’s made, but great heated up too!
Can you freeze this vegan Mexican sweet potato breakfast hash?
Yes! Let cool completely and then you can store in a freezer safe bag or container in your freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight and reheat in an air fryer (preferred), skillet or oven to crisp the potatoes back up.
Can this be Top 8 Allergen Free sweet potato hash?
This recipe is already written to be Top 8 Allergen Free. No need to make any changes or swaps.
Can I make this an oil free sweet potato breakfast hash?
Yes! We would recommend that you air fry or roasted your potatoes first and then proceeded with the recipe. Saute the onions and peppers in vegetable stock or water.
Is it healthy to eat sweet potato for breakfast?
Sweet potatoes are loaded with beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium, in addition to many other vitamins and nutrients. It is the perfect way to kick start your day and get loads of healthy ingredients into your body.
Do you have to peel the sweet potato skin?
Sweet potato skins do not have to be peeled. They are safe to eat. Sweet potato skins are high in fiber, antioxidants, and other nutrients. It is recommended to keep the peel on if you are using sweet potatoes; however, because they are grown in the ground, it’s important to throughly clean them first.
What other vegan breakfast ideas could I make?
Once you try this delicious vegan breakfast skillet, you may be looking for other amazing vegan breakfast ideas that you should try. We are sharing both sweet and savory dairy free breakfast ideas.
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
- Super Soft Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Glazed Vegan Donuts
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- Perfect Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuits
- Dairy Free French Toast
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
Pin this Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash for later!
Vegan Mexican Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (can sub for olive oil)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup green pepper, diced (any color works)
- 1 medium sweet onion (can sub with yellow)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- fresh lime juice
- slices fresh jalapenos
- vegan sour cream
- Cut potatoes to be an equal size of each other. Pat potatoes dry with a towel if any moisture present. Dice onions and peppers and mince garlic.
- Over medium high heat, melt vegan butter in a large skillet.
- Add the potatoes in a single layer. Depending on the size of skillet this may need done in batches. DO NOT overcrowd the potatoes or they will stick.
- Cook for 2 minutes – DO NOT TOUCH FOR 2 MINUTES! Flip, cook another 2 minutes. Stir again, cook 2 more minutes. (Do this a total of 8 minutes)
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add in peppers and onions. Combine and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in garlic and all your seasonings (chili powder through salt) and stir to combine.
- Add in the corn and black beans and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until heated throughout.
- Top with cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice if desired.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!