These cake-like glazed vegan donuts need just 10 ingredients and under 30 minutes to be made! Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
I know I don’t usually share a lot about me, but I will say that each time in my life I gave up dairy (first two times were for my daughters’ reactions and then finally when we went plant based), the thing I missed the most were donuts. These glazed vegan donuts are so simple and satisfy every craving I missed.
Donuts can completely be a comfort food, especially when you have then fresh out of the oven. There’s a reason that Krispy Kreme lights up that sign when they have hot ones ready and everyone runs towards them.
They are soft and almost melt in your mouth they are so delicious. These glazed vegan donuts are no exception. They are completely:
- vegan/plant based
- dairy free
- egg free
- can be Top 8 Free
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do I need to make Glazed Vegan Donuts?
There are two “recipes” in this post; however, even with both you only need 10 ingredients. Y’all know we like easy recipes! The ingredients that you need to make these easy vegan donuts are:
- apple cider vinegar
- dairy free milk (we use almond milk)
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- unsweetened applesauce
- dairy free butter
- powdered sugar
That’s it! That’s all you need for the perfect vegan donuts.
How do you make dairy free donuts?
To start making this recipe, you need to make vegan buttermilk. You do that by combining apple cider vinegar and the dairy free milk of your choice. When you let the combination sit together for 10 minutes, it curdles like you see with traditional buttermilk.
Then, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease two donut pans. We used these donut pans for the donuts that you see in our photos.
Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
Then, once 10 minutes has passed and your buttermilk is ready, add in the wet ingredients and mix well.
Add into your greased donuts pans, a little over half full.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
While waiting for donuts to bake, make your glaze. Whisk together your melted butter, milk and salt. Add in a little powdered sugar at a time, whisking after each addition until a smooth glaze forms.
Remove donuts from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before topping with the glaze. Serve immediately or let cool to room temperature and store in an air tight container.
Can I make these vegan donuts Top 8 Allergen friendly?
There is flour, dairy free milk, and dairy free butter in this recipe. If you are completely Top 8 Free, use an alternative dairy free milk like oat or hemp for this recipe. Otherwise, just use one that works for your family.
For the dairy free butter, you want one that is also soy free. We prefer Earth Balance soy free in the red tub!
While we have not tried gluten free flour with this recipe, we would recommend using King Arthur Measure for Measure flour. We have had the best results with this flour.
What other vegan breakfast recipes should I try?
Once you try these delicious vegan donuts, you may be looking for other amazing vegan breakfast ideas that you should try. We are sharing both sweet and savory dairy free breakfast ideas.
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
- Super Soft Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Perfect Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuits
- Dairy Free French Toast
- Dairy Free Banana Bread
All the recipes above are vegan, dairy free, and egg free. Some can be made Top 8 Allergy Friendly.
How long are Glazed Vegan Donuts good for?
Not that they will actually last as long as this, but these vegan glazed doughnuts will last for up to a week when stored in an air tight container.
They can be stored at room temperature and do not need to be refrigerated.
Pin these Glazed Vegan Donuts for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Glazed Vegan Donuts
For the Vegan Donuts
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy free milk (we used almond milk, see post for allergy notes)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Glaze for Donuts
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk (maybe need 1 more tbsp depending on batter consistency)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
For the Vegan Donuts
- Combine the apple cider vinegar and milk in a bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two donut pans. We used these donut pans .
- Add all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Once buttermilk is ready, add in the wet ingredients in with dry and mix well.
- Pour batter into greased pans, a little over half full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Make glaze while you wait.
For the Glaze
- Whisk together your melted butter, milk and salt.
- Add in a little powdered sugar at a time, whisking after each addition until a smooth glaze forms.
- Remove donuts from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes. Dip donuts into the glaze.
- Serve immediately or let cool completely and store in an air tight container.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!
This post was originally published on 6/7/2019 and edited on 2/6/2020.