Whether you need a quick on the go breakfast idea or want to recreate your favorite bakery classic, these vegan blueberry muffins are an absolute must in your recipe collection.
We are so excited to share this easy vegan blueberry muffin idea. Blueberry muffins are a classic bakery staple and so many people don’t realize is actually really easy to make allergy friendly. These vegan blueberry muffins do not contain any dairy or egg products, so they are great for a variety of lifestyles.
The best part about these blueberry muffins with crumb toppings is that they genuinely taste similar to bakery style ones and with a really simple hack, they can look like them too!
What ingredients do I need to make these vegan blueberry muffins?
We love simple dairy free recipes that are both easy to make, but also have easy to find ingredients, most of which are already in most people’s pantries. These vegan blueberry muffins need just 10 ingredients to make and are really simple to put together. The ingredients that you need for these dairy free blueberry muffins are:
- baking powder
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- vegan butter
- vegan buttermilk (almond milk + vinegar)
There is an optional crumble topping that is highly recommended also. For that you will also need:
- vegan butter
How do you make dairy free blueberry muffins?
The very first thing you want to do to make these vegan blueberry muffins, is to add the vinegar inside a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the cup up with your unsweetened almond milk (or dairy free milk of choice). Let sit for 10 minutes. This will make a dairy free buttermilk. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, you want to add all the dry ingredients and whisk together. Those ingredients are flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add both sugars and butter. Cream these together on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Then, add in the dairy free buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix again. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl, and using a spatula, fold together. Lastly fold in the blueberries.
Fill muffin cups up 3/4 of the way full and then place in the oven. Cook for 5 minutes at 425 and then drop the heat to 375 for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the optional crumble topping, add all the ingredients together and mix with a fork. Add on top before putting in the oven.
What is the key to making the vegan blueberry muffins look like bakery style muffins?
We really want to give the bakery feel to these vegan blueberry muffins. We believe that no matter dietary needs or preferences, everyone should be able to enjoy high quality food. We tested these blueberry muffins with and without regular wrappers and both of those, the dairy free blueberry muffins just kind of spill out over the top.
The key to get the taller, fluffier, perfect bakery style vegan blueberry muffins is using these tulip muffin liners. They fit in a regular muffin tin, but help keep all the ingredients into, making them absolutely perfect.
Can these be Top 8 Allergen Friendly Blueberry Muffins?
These vegan blueberry muffins use both wheat and almond milk in the recipe as we have it written. However, you can swap out the almond milk for any dairy free milk of choice. Also, you can try to make them with gluten free cup for cup flour. The King Arthur cup for cup is our favorite!
Can I make these into mini vegan blueberry muffins?
You can absolutely make these mini dairy free blueberry muffins. You just need to follow the directions and fill mini muffin tins instead of regular size. Likewise, you could make extra large muffins with this recipe.
What are other dairy free muffins ideas that I should try?
Once you try these vegan blueberry muffins, you may want to learn what are some other options. We gathered some ideas from our friends. All of these dairy free muffins listed below are vegan, so they are also egg free and many are gluten free.
- Double Chocolate Oat Muffins
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Apple Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin & “Cream Cheese” Swirl Muffins
- Gluten Free Banana and Zucchini Muffins
- Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Pin these vegan blueberry muffins for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, scant (*or other dairy free milk)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (*see post for GF)
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen – if frozen thaw before using)
- In a 1 cup measuring cup, add the vinegar. Fill the remaining cup with almond milk. This makes buttermilk, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add both sugars and butter. Cream together on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add in the buttermilk and vanilla. Beat together just until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together with a spatula.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Fill tins 3/4 of the way full.
- Add optional crumble topping if including (see directions below).
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then reduce to 375 for 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Crumble Topping, Optional
- In a bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add in the melted butter and stir to combine. Sprinkle on top before going into the oven.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!