This delicious vegan coconut milk hot chocolate recipe is so creamy and good! Sweet, indulgent, and super easy! One pot, 6 ingredients and under 10 minutes to make!
If you love coconut milk, then you are in for a treat! This vegan coconut milk hot chocolate will rock your world!
Winter isn’t really winter unless you can come inside and enjoy a delicious cup of dairy free hot chocolate. With the addition of canned coconut milk, It makes it so creamy and good.
For some people, hot chocolate is also a winter holiday tradition. Everyone gets a delicious cup a hot chocolate while opening presents or setting up the holiday decorations.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What Ingredients Do You Need to make Vegan Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate?
I know what you’re thinking. It’s super hard to make dairy free hot chocolate.
But guess what? You ready? Are you sure you can handle this?
The ingredients that you need for this vegan hot chocolate recipe are:
- dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- canned full fat coconut milk
- Cocoa Powder
- Coconut Sugar (sub for brown sugar if needed)
*We linked above the exact brands we used
Can you Make this a Top 8 Free Hot Chocolate Recipe?
In order to make this an allergy friendly hot chocolate recipe, we start with Enjoy Life semi-sweet chips. They are made Top 8+ more free so it’s the perfect chocolate to use.
Unfortunately, it does contain coconut so it can’t completely be Top 8 Free, but if you do have a coconut allergy check out our basic vegan hot chocolate recipe that is still delicious, but allows everyone to consume.
How Do You Make Vegan Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate?
So now you know that you only need a few ingredients. The even better part is that this can be made in one pot.
One little pot can make you the best hot chocolate you’ve had! No more searching out hard to find dairy free hot chocolate mixes or paying super high prices to have them.
You just need 6 ingredients and one pot!
In order to make this vegan hot chocolate, you pour the canned coconut milk into the pot.
Turn the heat on medium and let the milk get warm for about 2-3 minutes. Then, add in the chocolate chips and stir until well combined. I prefer to use a silicone spatula for this so I can scrape the bottom and make sure the chocolate is very well combined.
Next, add in the sugar and cocoa powder. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla and salt.
Serve immediately with dairy free coconut whipped cream.
Can I make this vegan hot chocolate in a crockpot?
If you are serving a crowd, you can make this dairy free hot chocolate recipe in bulk.
The recipe as made makes 2 servings. You can use the auto adjuster in the recipe box below to increase the amount of servings that you need and make a bulk dairy free hot chocolate crock pot recipe.
Simply add all the ingredients to the crockpot and set on low. After 30 minutes, come back and stir together. Leave on the lowest setting possible for 4 hours.
Because this dairy free hot chocolate crock pot recipe comes together so quickly, it’s best to wait until 30 minutes before you need to serve it to turn on the crockpot.
There’s no reason though that you can’t put all the ingredients into the crockpot and then put the crockpot in the fridge until you are ready to turn on the heat.
What are vegan hot chocolate flavors I can make?
There are endless dairy free hot chocolate flavor combinations that you can make. In order to make these, you would make the recipe as called for and then add in any additional flavors that you choose to make. Some ideas are:
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- Add in 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (this homemade recipe is the best pumpkin pie spice ever)
- Vegan Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Stir in 1/8 tsp peppermint extract at the end of the recipe. More if you want a stronger flavor.
- Vegan Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
- When you add the sugars, add in 1 teaspoons ginger, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- Vegan Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Add in 1.5-3oz of your choice of alcohol, such as dairy free Baileys, kahula, bourbon, or peppermint scnhapps.
- Vegan Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
- Stir in 1-2 tbsp Dairy Free Hazlenut Chocolate spread when you add in the chocolate chips (we like this dairy free hazelnut spread)
- Vegan Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- Stir in 2 tbsp of our homemade Dairy Free Caramel Sauce and a pinch of course sea salt when you add the chocolate chips. Top with more caramel sauce once in the cup of your choice.
- Vegan Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
- Stir in 2 tbsp of peanut butter, nut butter, or sunbutter of your choice when you add in the chocolate chips.
We hope you love one of these combinations! Sometimes it’s perfect just to top it with homemade dairy free whipped cream too (if in a pinch, So Delicious coconut whipped topping will work too!)
Pin this vegan coconut milk hot chocolate recipe for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (or 1 tsp extract)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2-4 tbsp vegan coconut sugar (sub for brown sugar if needed)
- Dairy Free Coconut Whipped Cream (optional)
- Additional Add-ins/Toppings (optional, See notes above in post)
- To a saucepan, add the canned coconut milk to a pot over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the semi-sweet chocolate chips and use a silicone spatula to scrape the bottom, ensuring no hips remain.
- Add in both the cocoa powder and sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt. Stir.
- Serve immediately. *See notes on making this in the crock pot.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!