This incredibly sweet and creamy vegan banana cream pie with a rich buttery crust is a must try dessert all year long!
Rich, creamy pies are some of the sweetest treats around and this vegan banana cream pie is no exception.
It’s really easy to make and packed full of delicious banana flavor. If you are looking for a treat to take with you to a get together, you won’t disappoint with this one.
Many people make banana cream pie in the summer time; however, we say it’s good all year long.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
VEGAN BANANA CREAM PIE INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the main ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this easy vegan dessert recipe:
For the Crust
- Flour – the start of every dough, we are using all purpose flour for this recipe
- Sugar – we want the sweetness to be throughout the dish so we are using it in the crust and filling
- Salt – salt is used to enhance the flavor
- Vegan Butter – adds richness and flavor but also makes a delicious buttery crust
- Dairy Free Milk – any non-dairy milk will work and this just helps all our ingredients come together into the perfect dough
For the Filling
- Sugars –
- Starch –
- Turmeric –
- Bananas –
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- You can use gluten free flour instead of all-purpose. We do recommend that you use a 1:1 blend
- For the vegan butter in the crust, you can sub out vegetable shortening
- You can sub our non dairy milk in the crust for water
- Inside the filling, you can only use vegan sugar instead of the blend of powdered and cane. If you do this, your pie will be more brown and not so yellow. Reduce the total sugar to 3/4 cup if subbing just cane sugar
- Turmeric is being used for color. Can use yellow food coloring instead
You could also sub out a store bought crust instead of making the recipe
Frequently Asked Questions about Vegan Banana Cream Pie:
Yes! Use a gluten free 1:1 baking blend instead of flour in the crust. For the vegan butter, you’ll want to use a soy free version. Lastly, make sure that the non-dairy milk you choose is suitable for your allergens.
While we always love homemade foods, if you need to reduce the time, you can swap the entire crust recipe for a store bought crust. Cook crust according to package and let cool before pouring in filling.
Yes you can. The crust, and filling can both be made 3-4 days ahead of time and the proceed with the recipe.
This vegan banana cream pie will last for 5-7 days in the fridge.
Banana Cream Pie is designed to be served cold.
The biggest reason for a runny pie, is that you didn’t allow it to thicken enough. The filling should easily coat the back of a spoon when ready. If you are having issues with it thickening you can add some more corn starch to the mixture, just a teaspoon at a time until thickened.
Yes, you need to store banana cream pie in the fridge loosely covered. We recommend that you try to wait to top with whipped topping and bananas if possible.
What other vegan pie ideas could I make?
Pies are just so good, especially for the holidays. Here’s a few more ideas:
- Vegan Caramel Apple Pie
- Traditional Vegan Apple Pie
- Vegan Blueberry Pie
- Vegan Pecan Pie
- Traditional Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- No Bake Vegan Chocolate Pie
Pin this vegan banana cream pie for later!
Vegan Banana Cream Pie
For the crust
For the Filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch (can sub potato starch or arrowroot powder)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (can sub with 4-6 drops yellow food coloring), optional
- 2 1/2 cups dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted dairy free butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 bananas, more for topping if desired
- ground cinnamon, for dusting, optional
- 8-16 oz vegan whipped topping, store brand or homemade
For the Crust
- Preheat for 400 degrees F.
- In a food processor add flour, sugar, salt and pulse together. Add in the butter and pulse a few times until the mixture looks like sand. With the processor on low add in the milk and keep the mixer going until a dough ball begins to form.
- Remove all the dough and form a ball place in the fridge to set up for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, rip 2 sheets of parchment paper a few inches larger than pie pan. Lay one piece of parchment paper down and sprinkle with flour. Lay dough down and sprinkle with a touch of flour on top. Add second piece on top. Roll out until a few inches bigger than your pan.
- Press down into pie pan. Pinch or design the edges however you want. Place one piece of parchment gently over crust and add either pie weights or dried beans.
- Place pie on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
For the Filling
- Add sugars, corn starch, salt, nutmeg, and turmeric (if using) to a medium saucepan. Stir together. Whisk in milk until well combined. *If using food dye instead of turmeric, add it here at the end and do a drop at a time whisking it in until desired color.
- Put the saucepan on the stove over medium low. Let cook for 3-5 minutes until thickening up, whisking occasionally to ensure no lumps. Add in the butter and whisk constantly until melted and well combined into mixture.
- Remove from the heat and add in vanilla. Stir to combine. Now stir mixture every 2 minutes for 10 minutes while cooling. Pour into a bowl, and place plastic wrap directly touching the mixture to prevent a skin forming. Place in fridge for at least 4-6 hours or overnight to setup.
- Slice bananas in thin evenly slices and layer on the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon if adding. Pour the filling over the bananas. Place in fridge for another 4-6 hours or overnight to setup.
- Top with whipped topping before serving. Add more sliced bananas if desired
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!