This Vegan Blueberry Pie recipe will be your favorite summer dessert! Learn how to make a completely homemade vegan blueberry pie from scratch with just 10 ingredients!
If you haven’t have a vegan blueberry pie, then you are seriously missing out.
Blueberries are little bursts of energy that are one of our favorite summer fruits. Of course, they are good year round, but there’s nothing better than fresh produce.
And this vegan blueberry pie proves that.
This vegan blueberry pie recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
- Completely Vegan
- Can be Top 8 Free Allergy Friendly
It’s not a super quick recipe and it’s not designed to be. You could absolutely take a quick route and buy a pre-made dairy free pie crust and a can of blueberry pie filling, but that’s not why you’re here.
You are here because you want to make something that reminds you of your grandma’s pie. And this recipe, if followed, will give you all those warm, fuzzy memories, while still being a completely allergy friendly pie recipe.
It will then be known to you as the best blueberry pie recipe around!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do you need to make a vegan blueberry pie recipe?
There are two parts to making this vegan blueberry pie recipe.
The first part is the crust and then the blueberry pie filling.
Today, we’ll get into both how to make the vegan pie crust and how to make the blueberry pie filling.
Full ingredient amounts listed in the printable recipe card below.
In order to make the dairy free pie crust, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- vegan sugar
- vegan shortening
- unsweetened almond milk (can sub for any dairy free milk)
In order to make the best vegan blueberry pie filling, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- blueberries (fresh preferred, frozen okay)
- vegan cane sugar
- lemon zest
- cornstarch (can sub arrowroot powder)
In total for the dairy free pie crust and the dairy free blueberry pie filling, there are 10 ingredients. Nothing is really hard or obscure item that you aren’t going to be able to find at any major grocery store.
How do you make a lattice pie topping?
Lattice work on a pie can be intimidating; however, once you get the hang of it, then you will be surprised at how easy you think it can be.
We’re sharing the photo below to give a closer look at how it should be. We cut 1 Inch strips and for the thinner pieces, those were cut into 1/2″ strips.
Then interlock the strips by going over, under, over, under and repeat until finished.
What do I do with the leftover pie crust pieces?
You will inevitably have pieces left over. Make a ball with all the pieces and then roll the dough back out. Depending on how much you have, you can:
- cut out different shapes like leaves and flowers and place them on top of your pie.
- Make mini pie crust if you have small ramekins
- Make crust for mini vegan pot pies
Can I prep this vegan blueberry pie ahead of time?
Yes! This pie should be stored covered and in the fridge for best results and will last up to 7 days ahead of time. Best served warm.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free Blueberry Pie?
The Top allergens in this recipe is wheat, soy, and almond milk.
The almond milk can be replaced with any safe dairy free milk for your family.
The soy is in the vegan shortening, but you can replace that with Earth Balance soy free butter, in the red tub. One thing to note is that the butter needs to be very cold to start and the crust won’t be as flakey,.
The flour can be replaced with gluten free flour in the same amount. We like this GF flour.
WHAT ARE OTHER VEGAN DESSERT RECIPES THAT I SHOULD TRY?
First, if you liked this pie, then you must try our vegan apple pie.
Just because you have food allergies or preferences, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be able to have great tasting desserts. We’d even venture to say that these are better than their “normal” counterparts.
These are some other dairy free dessert recipes that you should try:
- Easy Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Layered Vegan Strawberry Cake
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Easy Vegan Peach Cobbler
- Vegan M&M Rice Krispies
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
Pin this vegan blueberry pie for later:
Vegan Blueberry Pie
For the dairy free pie crust
For the dairy free pie crust
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, and sugar. Stir together with a fork.
- Cut vegan shortening into tablespoon size cubes and then using a fork combine together until crumbly.
- Pour in milk and vanilla.
- Stir until combined.
- Use hands to form a dough.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper down and sprinkle with flour. Lay dough down and sprinkle with a touch of flour on top.
- Roll out into a circle about 10-11 inches. Press down into pie pan.
- Pinch or design the edges however you want.
- If you desire a top crust layer, then repeat the steps again for a second pie crust layer and then you can lay on top or cut into strips or design as desired after your filling is inside the bottom layer.
- Set aside while you make your filling.
For the Vegan Blueberry Pie Filling
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the blueberries. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over blueberries and stir together.
- Pour the mixture into pie crust lined pie plate.
- Gently shake the pie plate to wiggle them around.
- If using a top layer of pie crust, place that on top and arrange as desired. If you are not doing a design and just add a solid top, cut slits in the center for steam to vent through.
- Put the pie in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat to 425 degrees.
- If using any top layer, designs or cut outs, brush the entire top of the pie with almond milk, including the edges.
- Place pie on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with course sparkling sugar if desired.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Pull the pie out of the oven if any spots look light, brush with vegan butter gently. If you pie crust looks dark, cover with foil very carefully.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove, let cool to room temperature before serving.
- Top with dairy free whipped topping or ice cream.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!