A classic, southern dessert, this Vegan Pecan Pie will be a hit at your family get together year round! Easy to make, completely corn free with a gluten free option.
If you grew up in the Southern United States, then you have likely had pecan pie. You may even be in love with a tradition pecan pie. Unfortunately, it’s far from vegan; however, this vegan pecan pie will make all your dreams come true!
While it lacks dairy, eggs, and corn, it doesn’t lack in the flavor department. It is absolutely delicious and will knock the socks off your Southern grandma.
If you have never had a pecan pie, it is a smooth pecan filling baked inside of a delicious homemade crust. It is typically served at holiday gatherings, but may be eaten at any time during the year.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do you need to make Vegan Pecan Pie?
There are two parts to making this vegan pecan pie recipe. The first part is the crust and then the pecan pie filling. Today, we’ll get into both how to make the dairy free pie crust and how to make the pecan pie filling.
In order to make the dairy free pie crust, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- vegan sugar
- vegan shortening
- unsweetened almond milk (can sub for any dairy free milk)
- vanilla extract
In order to make the best vegan pecan pie filling, you are going to need the following ingredients:
- Vegan butter
- Chopped pecans
- Brown sugar
- Cane Sugar
- Pure maple syrup
- Unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- Vanilla extract
- Ground flaxseed
How do you make Vegan Pecan Pie?
To start, we need to make the vegan pie crust. To start, in a large bowl, add the flour, salt, and sugar. Stir together with a fork. Then, cut vegan shortening into tablespoon size cubes and then using a fork combine together until crumbly.
Pour in your milk and vanilla and stir until combined. Use your hands to form a dough ball.
Next, you are going to want to lay a piece of parchment paper down and sprinkle with flour. Lay dough down and sprinkle with a touch of flour on top.
Roll out into a circle about 10-11 inches. Press down into a 9 inch pie pan. Pinch or design the edges however you want. Set aside while you make your filling.
Next, we need to work on the vegan pecan pie filling. Start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Then, in a saucepan, heat up vegan butter and pecans to toast them for about 1 – 2 mins tossing and turning to cook evenly. Remove and pour evenly into pie crust.
In the same saucepan, pour in the maple syrup, sugar, coconut milk, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth.
Add arrowroot powder 1 tbsp at a time and whisk throughly after each. When it starts to get slightly thick turn off the heat and whisk in flaxseed. Pour mixture into crust.
You’re going to want to bake this for 25 to 30 minutes. Pie will be slightly jiggly when you go to pull it out.
Let cool completely then put in fridge to set overnight or minimum 4 hours.
Can I make this a Top 8 Allergen Friendly Pecan Pie?
Unfortunately, the main basis of this dish is a nut, so it’s not able to be made Top 8 Allergen free.
Beyond the nuts, it could be other Top Allergen friendly. Make sure that you are using a dairy free, soy free vegan butter like Earth Balance soy free in the red tub if you avoid soy.
If you are gluten free, we suggest buying your own crust or making it from another recipe.
Can I prep this Vegan Pecan Pie ahead of time?
Yes! This pecan pie should be stored, covered in the fridge, but it will lat for 5-7 days prepped ahead of time. Of course, it’s best served warm, but you can easily microwave a slice if needed.
What are other vegan dessert recipe ideas I should try?
Other delicious vegan desserts that you may want to try would be:
- Dairy Free Apple Pie
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Easy Vegan Peach Cobbler
- Vegan M&M Rice Krispies
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
See even more dairy free and egg free desserts on our website!
Pin this Vegan Pecan Pie for later:
Vegan Pecan Pie
- 9 Inch Pie Pan
For the Vegan Pie Crust
For the Toasted Pecans
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans
For the Vegan Pecan Pie Filling
For the Vegan Pie Crust
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, and sugar. Stir together with a fork.
- Cut vegan shortening into tablespoon size cubes and then using a fork combine together until crumbly.
- Pour in milk and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Use hands to form a dough.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper down and sprinkle with flour. Lay dough down and sprinkle with a touch of flour on top.
- Roll out into a circle about 10-11 inches. Press down into pie pan.
- Pinch or design the edges however you want.
- Set aside while you make your filling.
For the Pecan Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, add vegan butter and pecans for stir together for 2 minutes, moving around to cook evenly. Remove and pour evenly into pie crust.
- In the same saucepan, add in the butter, sugar, maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Add arrowroot powder 1 tbsp at a time and whisk throughly after each.
- When mixture begins to thicken, turn off the heat and whisk in flaxseed. Pour mixture into crust.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Pie will be slightly jiggly when removing.
- Carefully arrange whole pecans on top in a design like pictures on just laid on top.
- Place on a baking rack and let cool completely.
- Place in fridge to set overnight (minimum 4 hours).
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!