Perfectly delicious Southern Vegan Banana Pudding is the perfect summer dessert! This sweet treat will have everyone asking you for the recipe!
If you grew up in the Southern US, then you’ve likely already had this delicious sweet treat. However, if you didn’t, you may have never even heard of banana pudding. Let alone think you could make it a vegan banana pudding.
Now, let’s clear something up really quick. This is not banana flavored pudding. Although, you should check out our vegan vanilla pudding and vegan chocolate pudding recipes, this isn’t one of those.
What vegan banana pudding actually is though is a sweet treat layered with vanilla flavored pudding, cookies, banana and whipped topping. There are a lot of different ways that you can make it.
Some will make in a trifle dish or individual serving glasses, while others, like we did, will layer inside of a casserole dish. No matter how you decide to make, your friends and family will love this vegan dessert so much. And any non-vegans will go BANANAS that this is a vegan dish!
Some people do bake vegan banana pudding, but this is a non-baked recipe.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do you need to make vegan banana pudding?
Surprisingly you don’t need a ton of ingredients to make this delicious dairy free banana pudding. What you do need is a few speciality made ingredients, but I’ll also tell you have to make it with some store bought items as well.
The ingredients that you need are:
- Vegan Vanilla Pudding
- If you want store bought, you need a 5oz box of vegan vanilla pudding and only use 2 cups of dairy free milk *Note: Soy milk will not set up boxed pudding.
- Vegan condensed milk
- Vegan Whipped Topping
- If you want store bought, you can buy a tub of Coconut Whipped Topping or get Almond or Rice Spray Containers (*Note: We have only tried this with our homemade whipped topping, linked above, and with the So Delicious tub of coconut whipped topping. We aren’t sure how the spray containers taste, but they should work fine)
- Vegan Vanilla Wafer Cookies
- Nabisco cookies are not vegan, but the ones from Whole Foods are. If you do not have a Whole Foods close, you can purchase from Amazon.
- Alternatively, you can use vegan graham crackers or another hard cookie
- Vanilla Extract
How do you make vegan banana pudding?
If you are making from scratch, the first steps that you are going to do is made your homemade vanilla pudding, condensed milk and whipped topping according to the instructions for each.
If you are using everything store bought, then you want to make the vanilla pudding according to the box directions and then proceed with the recipe.
Once you have all your ingredients ready, you are going to beat together the set up vanilla pudding and condensed milk together. Then, stir in the vanilla. Next, fold in the whipped topping.
Set the mixture in the fridge. Cut up your bananas.
Then, layer wafers, bananas and pudding mixture in a 9×13 dish. Feel free to also layer in individual serving dishes or a trifle dish.
Top the vegan banana pudding with more whipped topping, banana slices, and cookies if desired. Store in fridge until ready to serve. See notes for prepping ahead.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Friendly Banana Pudding?
So, the short answer is probably. We haven’t tried making it Top 8 Allergy friendly, but I’m going to make some recommendations for how you can.
To start, you’re going to need to make the vegan vanilla pudding with a different milk than the dairy free almond milk that we use. Oat milk would probably work best. It’s important to know that soy will not work for the recipe at all.
Next, you are going to want to make the vegan condensed milk. The recommendations is to use coconut milk but if you are avoiding that then you could do oat or flax, etc.
Then, we have the coconut whipped topping. We love our homemade coconut whipped topping, but we know for some this doesn’t work for them. We would recommend finding a recipe for or grab some store bought tub or can whipped topping like rice or almond depending on allergies.
Finally, the cookie wafers. We use Whole Foods brand vanilla wafers because they are dairy and egg free. However, they do have soy and wheat.
I have not seen a vegan (dairy, egg free), soy free and wheat free vanilla wafer cookie; HOWEVER! Do not fret. You can alternate with another vegan and gluten free hard cookie that you can crumble or leave the cookies off entirely if needed.
Can I prep this vegan banana pudding ahead?
Yes! This dish will last in the fridge 3-4 days completely made together. We do recommend that any banana slices are completely covered with pudding in this case.
Another option for prepping ahead is to have all your other ingredients made and prepped ahead and then you just have to put it together on the day of the event that you are attending.
What other vegan desserts should I try?
Other delicious vegan desserts that you may want to try would be:
- Dairy Free Apple Pie
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Easy Vegan Peach Cobbler
- Vegan M&M Rice Krispies
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
Pin this vegan banana pudding for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Banana Pudding
- 1 vegan vanilla pudding recipe (see post for store bought idea)
- 1 vegan condensed milk recipe (see post for store bought idea)
- 4 vegan whipped topping recipes divided,(see post for store bought idea- need 2 tubs)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 10-14 bananas
- 2 9oz boxes vegan vanilla wafers (see post for store bought idea)
- *If you are making from scratch, the first steps that you are going to do is make your homemade vanilla pudding, condensed milk and whipped topping according to the instructions for each link above.
*If you are using everything store bought, then you want to make the vanilla pudding according to the box directions and then proceed with the recipe.
- Once all ingredients are ready, beat together the set up vanilla pudding and condensed milk together.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Set the mixture in fridge.
- Cut up bananas into even slices.
- Layer wafers, bananas and pudding mixture in a 9×13 dish. *Feel free to also layer in individual serving dishes or a trifle dish.
- Top with more whipped topping, banana slices, and cookies if desired.
- Store in fridge until ready to serve.
- See post for prepping ahead.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!