Vegan Sausage Balls are an easy vegan appetizer that only needs 4 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time! They can double as an on the go vegan breakfast idea.
Vegan Sausage Balls are a veganized version of a long time favorite holiday appetizer. They are easy to make and need just a few minutes of prep time you will be shocked at how quickly it comes together.
While this is traditionally served as an appetizer, it can also double as an on the go breakfast. They are bite size and perfect for on the go.
So what is vegan sausage balls exactly?
If you asked yourself then you are not alone.
Vegan sausage balls are a mix of ground vegan sausage, pancake mix, vegan cheddar, and plant based milk. Those are the only necessary ingredients; however, we add in a few spices just to take it to the next level.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make these vegan sausage balls Top 8 Allergen Free?
While we haven’t tried it, we have heard that the gluten free Bisquick mix works just as well so we would recommend that to replace the Bisquick mix with that.
For the vegan cheese and plant based milk, use a safe one for you. We really like oat milk for savory recipes. For the cheese, you can check out our vegan shredded cheese taste test and see which cheese would work for your allergies.
As far as the vegan sausage, we use Lightlife however that contains wheat and soy. Feel free to use another sausage that can be crumbles like Beyond that is soy and gluten free.
What brands are you using?
We also get asked what are the main brands we use. For the sausage we, are using Lightlife Gimme Lean ground sausage.
For cheese, we are using Daiya cutting board blend cheddar cheese.
We are using the Target Good and Gather version of oat milk.
And for the pancake mix, we are using Bisquick Original mix that is vegan friendly.
Can I make more or less of this recipe?
This recipe makes approximately 20 1-inch size balls. If you need more of less, halve or double/triple the recipe as you need.
How long are vegan sausage balls good for?
Once the vegan sausage balls have been cooked completely, allow them to cool and then place in an air tight container for up to 4-5 days. Heat back up for a few minutes in an air fryer or oven. Alternatively, you can heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until desired temperature.
Can these vegan sausage balls be frozen?
Absolutely! We recommend that you cook and cool completely. Once cool, place on a parchment or waxed lined baking try and flash freeze for 30 minutes. After that, you can transfer to a freezer safe bag or container. Use within 3 months.
What other vegan appetizer ideas could I make?
Whether you are having small plates holiday party or just want a few more appetizers for a large party, then we have the answer. Here’s a few more fun ideas:
- Vegan Crab Dip
- Vegan Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy vegan stuffed mushrooms
- Vegan Tuscan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Super Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese (Dip these sausage balls in this or put on top of this easy Vegan Nachos recipe)
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Bite Size Vegan Italian Meatballs (shape into smaller balls before cooking)
- Vegan Taco Casserole (great for serving with tortilla chips)
- Vegan Egg Rolls
- Instant Pot Tex Mex Rice (great for serving with tortilla chips)
Pin these vegan sausage balls for later!
Vegan Sausage Balls
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients and combine together well (use a potato masher or your hands)
- Use a cookie scoop and make 1 inch round balls.
- Place on baking sheet and repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm with a dipping sauce like cocktail sauce, BBQ sauce, vegan nacho cheese or ketchup.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!