This hot vegan crab dip is so good and a perfect vegan appetizer! You will be shocked at how similar it tastes to the real one. Can be made in the oven or crockpot.
If you grew up anywhere near Maryland, then you have likely had crab dip if you have not always been vegan. This hot vegan crab dip is shockingly similar to the real thing.
Crazy enough, I feel like even if you aren’t vegan you should make this version because crab is expensive and this is much less than what I remember the cost being.
Hot crab dip is traditionally served for the holidays as an appetizer. It is super easy to make and comes together in minutes! The hardest part is just waiting for it to finish cooking.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make vegan crab dip Top 8 Allergen Free?
Yes! The ingredients that we need to look at are the vegan cream cheese, vegan mayo and vegan cheddar cheese.
You can start by making our vegan nut free soy free cream cheese and swap the coconut oil for soy free vegan butter.
For the vegan mayo, you can use a soy free version of Veganise if needed.
For the vegan cheddar cheese, use your favorite safe version or check out our shredded cheese taste test.
How long is vegan crab dip good for?
This vegan crab dip can be cooled completely and stored in the fridge for 5-7 days. Reheat as needed in the microwave for 15-20 seconds at a time. You may need a splash of milk added to stir together.
WHAT BRANDS DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR THIS VEGAN CRAB DIP?
For this recipe we are using Wayfare’s vegan cream cheese.
We know Wayfare can still be hard to find, so if you aren’t able to we would recommend Trader Joe’s cream cheese.
For the vegan mayo, we are using Just mayo and for the cheese we are use Daiya Cutting Board Blend (not the original!)
Where do you find hearts of palm?
Hearts of palm are in the canned vegetables section of the store, usually near the canned artichoke hearts. If your grocery store has an Asian or International section of the store, sometimes it will be located there.
Do I have to use hearts of palm?
We HIGHLY recommend using hearts of palm. It’s soft texture and flakiness mimics crab perfect.
If you aren’t entirely worried about the texture you could chop artichoke hearts, shredded jackfruit or mashed chickpeas. Please note that by swapping any of these ingredients for the hearts of palm will alter the texture and not be as good as the original recipe is written.
What do I serve with vegan crab dip?
You can get super creative with a spread to dip inside your buffalo jackfruit dip. Some of our favorites are:
- veggies like pepper strips or celery
- tortilla chips
- sliced and toasted baguette
- pitas shell slices
What do you like?
WHAT OTHER VEGAN APPETIZER IDEAS COULD I MAKE?
Whether you are having small plates holiday party or just want a few more appetizers for a large party, then we have the answer. Here’s a few more fun ideas:
- Vegan Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy vegan stuffed mushrooms
- Vegan Tuscan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Super Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese (put on top of this easy Vegan Nachos recipe)
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Bite Size Vegan Italian Meatballs (shape into smaller balls before cooking)
- Vegan Taco Casserole (great for serving with tortilla chips)
- Vegan Egg Rolls
- Instant Pot Tex Mex Rice (great for serving with tortilla chips)
Pin this vegan crab dip for later!
Hot Vegan Crab Dip
- 2 15oz cans hearts of palm, drained
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, softened (we use Wayfare)
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp old bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dulse flakes
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, divided, room temperature
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Use two forks to shred hearts of palm into small pieces. Set aside
- Beat cream cheese is a mixer.
- Add in mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, dulse flakes, hot sauce, garlic powder, ground mustard, and smoked paprika. Beat again just until combined.
- Fold in shredded hearts of palm and 1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 12" cast iron skillet or a 2 quart baking dish.
- Top with remaining vegan cheddar cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese has melted. Can put under the broil for 2-3 minutes if desired but watch carefully.
- Sprinkle additional old bay seasoning on top and green onions if desired.
- Serve with veggies like baby carrots and celery, crackers or crunchy bread on the side.
Alternative Method : Crockpot
- If you wish to make this in the crockpot instead of the oven, repeat steps 2-5 but in step 5 add all the cheese. Place into a mini crockpot and turn on low 30 minutes before serving. Watch carefully to ensure it doesn't burn if it's been on longer than 90 minutes. Stir occasionally
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!