These vegan maple cheddar buttermilk biscuits are soft, flakey and the perfect combination of sweet and savory. You’ll love how easy and delicious they are!
These, soft flakey vegan maple cheddar buttermilk biscuits takes the love of biscuits to a whole new level. While everyone dreams of flakey biscuits, getting that perfect texture isn’t always easy. But today we’re showing you how to knock it out of the park with this delicious combination.
There is something just so amazing about the sweet and savory combination.
While you may have considered adding vegan cheese to your biscuits, you may not have thought to add maple syrup directly into the batter as well. You will be shocked at how amazing they are during each and every bite.
These can be savory enough to have with dinner or sweet enough that you can enjoy them for breakfast or brunch.
We’ll walk you through all the tips that you need for perfecting them and having the absolute best vegan maple cheddar buttermilk biscuits!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
VEGAN MAPLE CHEDDAR BUTTERMILK BISCUITS INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this vegan cheddar biscuits:
- Flour – the star of the show! we really recommend using all-purpose flour
- Baking Powder – This is helping us get the rise we need from the flour when baking
- Salt – do not omit here, the salt helps to tighten the gluten strains, but also really brings the flavor out
- Maple Syrup – it’s in the title and this delicious vegan friendly sugar alternative makes for some of the best memories.
- Dairy Free Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar– When combined, these two ingredients mimic buttermilk which is the flavor that we want in this recipe.
- Vegan Butter – not only do we need vegan butter because we are calling these buttermilk biscuits, but it helps with flakiness, moisture, texture, and richness
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Flour – you can use gluten free or a whole wheat flour if desired – both will change the texture a bit
- Vegan Maple Syrup – You could replace this with agave
- Vinegar – you could use white vinegar or lemon juice instead
We wouldn’t recommend making any other substitutions to this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions for Vegan Maple Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits:
If you are gluten free fo celiac purposes or just preference, you may wonder how to make these gluten free dairy free biscuits. In order to do that, you want to follow the directions the exact same way, but swap out the regular for for Cup for Cup gluten free flour (we like this gluten free flour brand). Make the recipe as called for otherwise in order to make these gluten free dairy free biscuits.
*One important note, while these will taste delicious still, they are more dense than the regular version.
Flour, vegan butter and milk are the ingredients that we need to look at. Use your favorite safe non-dairy milk. For the butter, use a soy free version like Flora or Earth Balance in the red tub/sticks. And then you can use a 1:1 Gluten Free Mix.
We do not recommend making these without oil because it will omit the buttery flavor and richness that you get when using vegan butter.
These will last for 4-5 days if stored properly in an air tight container. After that you run the risk of mold and they will not be as soft. Warm before using.
Yes. You could place these in an air tight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer and let thaw out overnight.
What other vegan breakfast ideas could I make?
Once you try this delicious vegan biscuits, you may be looking for other amazing vegan breakfast ideas that you should try. We are sharing both sweet and savory dairy free breakfast ideas.
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
- Super Soft Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Fruit Tarts
- Glazed Vegan Donuts
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- Perfect Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan French Toast Sticks
Pin these vegan maple cheddar buttermilk biscuits for later!
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Vegan Maple Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
For the Topping
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chives or green onions, chopped, OPTIONAL
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add together the milk and vinegar. This makes vegan buttermilk. Let sit together for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, add flour, vegan cheese, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together. Grate in your frozen butter to the bowl. After about every 4 tbsp, fold the butter in with flour (this helps it not clump and stay cold). Stir together one last time to make sure well combined.
- At this time, your buttermilk from Step 2 should be ready. Add in 1/3 cup maple syrup into buttermilk mixture. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a spatula until a shaggy dough forms. Careful not to overmix.
- Onto a lightly floured surface, dump out the bowl. Use yours hands to gather the dough together and press into a rectangle. The dough should be scraggly/crumbly. Press the dough down to about 1 1/4 inches thick.
- Fold the top 1/3 of the dough into the middle. Then, fold the bottom 1/3 to the middle. (Similar to how you would fold a paper. Flour dough a little if sticky. Press the dough out to 1 inch thick and repeating folding process.
- Trim off the rough edges to square off the sides to help with the rising. Then cut into 8 equal portions. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing biscuits evenly. Place into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- While cooking, in a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp of each melted vegan butter and maple syrup together. Then brush the tops lightly with the mixture.
- Serve immediately or let cool and store in an airtight container.
Did you make and love this recipe?
Click the 5 stars in the recipe card above or below in the comment section! This is a great way to support us so we can continue to bring great recipes!