These dairy free biscuits are fail proof! Super flaky, soft inside and buttery! This dairy free biscuit recipe is easy to make, less than 10 ingredients, and would be considered a dairy free buttermilk biscuit recipe. They are completely vegan biscuits and there’s a gluten free option.
When you live a life with dairy, there are many times that you just wish you had a recipe for something that you assume has dairy in it. Whether for breakfast or even dinner, sometimes people just want dairy free biscuits. More even, a delicious, soft, flaky dairy free buttermilk biscuit.
This dairy free biscuit recipe is super easy to make and ready in just about 30 minutes. There’s no need for yeast or rising. You simply make them and bake right away. In just a short amount of time, you have delicious, flaky, golden brown dairy free biscuits. They are also completely vegan biscuits.
What ingredients do you need to make dairy free biscuits?
You need 9 ingredients in order to make these dairy free biscuits. Most of the ingredients for this dairy free biscuit recipe are ones that many people already have in their pantry and if you don’t, they are easy to find in any grocery section of your local store.
The ingredients that you need for this dairy free biscuit recipe are:
- unsweetened almond milk
- apple cider vinegar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- dairy free unsalted butter
How do you make dairy free buttermilk?
Often times, you hear the words buttermilk and your brain assumes that means dairy and nothing else. Luckily, there’s an easy way to make dairy free buttermilk that comes together in just a few minutes. If you want to make these dairy free buttermilk biscuits, you will need to make some dairy free buttermilk.
In order to do that, you pour a tablespoon of vinegar (we prefer apple cider vinegar) in a one cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the measuring cup with dairy free milk. We call for almond milk, but you can use any dairy free milk. Let sit for 10 minutes and you will notice that the mixture has light curdles just like buttermilk would. Use are directed in the recipe.
How do you make dairy free biscuits?
The first step in making these dairy free biscuits is to place the dairy free butter in the freezer. Then, make the dairy free buttermilk. Follow the directions above to make that. Once you have that together, set it aside and continue to make the rest of the recipe.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Once those ingredients are together, take the butter out of the freezer and using either a pastry knife or your hand crumble it into the dry ingredients until you have a sand like texture.
Then, add the dairy free buttermilk a little bit at a time with a wooden spoon. You will likely not need all the dairy free buttermilk. Mix together after adding a little bit until it all comes together and is just slightly sticky. You don’t want it to be running, but a consistent dough.
Next, roll onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle a touch more flour onto the top. Roll the dough over until it’s no longer sticky. You just need to do this a few times. DO NOT overwork the dough. Push dough out into a disc shape that is 1 inch high. Use a dough cutter, to cut out biscuits.
Then, place on a parchment lined baking sheet. It’s best if the biscuits slightly touch, so we prefer to use a 6×9 baking sheet. Gently form the dough back out into a disc and and cut out the remaining dairy free biscuits. You will get 6 biscuits and may have a small leftover one. Just shape that into a circle and place on the sheet also.
Brush the tops with vegan butter.Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Serve immediately or let cool and store in an airtight container.
How do you make these gluten free dairy free biscuits?
If you are gluten free fo celiac purposes or just preference, you may wonder how to make these gluten free dairy free biscuits. In order to do that, you want to follow the directions the exact same way, but swap out the regular for for Cup for Cup gluten free flour (we like this gluten free flour brand). Make the recipe as called for otherwise in order to make these gluten free dairy free biscuits.
*One important note, while these will taste delicious still (we tested them with a friend that is gluten free), they are more dense than the regular version. Our friend said that with extra butter spread on the middle after cutting, they were so good!
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Dairy Free Biscuits
- Place the vegan butter inside of a bowl and put into the freezer.
- Make vegan buttermilk by placing the apple cider vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup and filling the rest of the measuring cup with the unsweetened almond milk. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 5 dry ingredients.
- Take the butter out of the freezer and add it into the bowl. Using a pastry cutter, fork or hands, combine until a sand like texture.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir together just until combined. Don't over mix. Dough will be sticky.
- Sprinkle flour onto a surface and roll the dough out.
- Sprinkle a touch more flour onto the top and roll the dough out until it's no longer sticky. DO NOT overwork the dough.
- Push dough out into a disc shape that is 1 inch high. Use a biscuit cutter, to cut out biscuits. Then, place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Gently form the dough back out into a disc and and cut out the remaining biscuits. You will get 6-7 biscuits and may have a small leftover one.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Brush the tops with vegan butter.
- Serve immediately or let cool and store in an airtight container.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!
Pin this dairy free biscuits recipe for later:
This post was originally published on 2/20/2019 and updated on 8/31/2020.