Now you can make delicious vegan artisan bread at home! Crunchy and flakey crust with soft and fluffy inside makes for the best sandwiches or avocado toast! Just 5 ingredients needed to make! No kneading necessary! No dairy or eggs.
Have you ever walked into a bakery or even a restaurant and had the most delicious vegan artisan bread?
I’m talking about that crunchy and flakey outer edges, but the inside is soft, fluffy, and airy.
Usually, it’s used to make sandwiches, especially grilled cheese; however, it’s great for avocado toast or slices of jelly bread.
No matter how you like it, it’s delicious and if you make it at home, it really makes you feel like an accomplished baker.
However, many times people are intimidated because it looks fancy. We are here to tell you that’s simply not the case.
There’s no kneading necessary and just 5 ingredients. With a little love, patience, and time you can make the most delicious artisan bread you’ve ever had.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do I need for easy Vegan Artisan Bread?
You only need five ingredients for this super easy vegan bread recipe.
Ingredient amounts listed in the printable recipe card below.
The ingredients that you need are:
- Instant yeast
- Dairy Free Milk (we like Oat) *Note, you could also use water
- Maple Syrup (can you agave or cane sugar)
That’s it! Can you believe that’s all you need?
What is the best flour to use for Vegan Artisan Bread?
We prefer using bread flour for this vegan dough recipe; however, all purpose or wheat flour would also work.
Even a mix of half all-purpose and half whole wheat will work with this recipe.
We cannot currently recommend a gluten free flour or mix at this time. We are adamantly working on creating a gluten free dough.
What is the best milk to use for this dairy free artisan bread?
We prefer using oat milk in this recipe because of the consistency and taste.
You can use any non-dairy milk in this recipe. We do recommend that you stay away from strong flavors like coconut, banana, etc.
Alternatively, for a cheaper version of this bread, you could even swap for water.
What is the best type of sugar source for this Vegan Artisan Bread?
As we wrote the recipe, we used maple syrup. However, that is not the only source of sugar that you could use.
Regular vegan cane sugar could also be used, as well as agave.
No matter which type of sugar that you use, you don’t need to adjust any other ingredient amounts.
How do you make Vegan Artisan Bread?
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt. Then, add in the dairy free milk and maple syrup.
Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if you need to not be sticky and form a ball.
Once your ball is formed, you will want to grease the same bowl you mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl.
Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place.
About 25 minutes before the rising time is up, add a cold dutch oven to the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F,
Place risen dough on a floured surface.
Sprinkle a little flour on top and pull the sides of the dough onto the top.
Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper.
Carefully place the dough and parchment paper into the dutch oven and place the lid ON. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and check out bread. Either remove and let cool and eat as is, or remove parchment paper and lid and continue to cook for 10-30 minutes until desired crunchiness of bread crust is achieved.
Can I prep this easy vegan bread ahead?
Yes! You sure can!
Once your bowl is covered, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
Just make the recipe as written, cover and place in fridge until ready to use.
Alternatively, once made it will last covered at room temperature (on the counter) for up to a week or your can place wrapped tightly in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I freeze this vegan dough recipe before making the naan?
Yes! Make the recipe all the way through rising. Then, once it has doubled in size, you can place in a ziplock bag and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To use, let set in the fridge overnight until thawed.
Is this vegan dough Top 8 Allergen Free?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet.
Otherwise, as long as you use a safe dairy free milk, (like we said Oat is our favorite) then you will be all set.
What else could I use vegan everything dough to make?
The possibilities are really endless for this dough. Some recipes that we have created are:
- Vegan Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls or Vegan Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread (some places call this Monkey Bread)
- Easy Vegan Soft Pretzel Bites
- Walnut Meat Skillet Pizza
- Vegan Chimichurri Monkey Bread
- Vegan Sticky Buns
- Easy Vegan Garlic Knots
- Chocolate Vegan Babka
- Vegan Artisan Bread
- Easy Vegan Bread Loaf
- Vegan Focaccia
- Vegan Naan
Pin this Vegan Artisan Bread for later:
Vegan Artisan Bread
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and salt.
- Then, add in the dairy free milk and maple syrup.
- Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl. *If you are oil free, then just make sure sides of bowl are floured, or use a silicone bowl to easily get it out
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
- About 25 minutes before the rising time is up, add a cold dutch oven to the oven and preheat oven to 450 degrees F,
- Place risen dough on a floured surface.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top and pull the sides of the dough onto the top.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Carefully place the dough and parchment paper into the dutch oven and place the lid ON. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and check out bread. Either remove and let cool and eat as is, or remove parchment paper and lid and continue to cook for 10-30 minutes until desired crunchiness of bread crust is achieved.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!