Silk Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream is worth the hype and we’re dishing all the details.
Silk has been quietly stocking shelves with their brand new Silk Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream over the last few weeks. If this is any indication of the amazing that is in store for vegans in 2020, I say we’re going to have a good year.
We saw some chatter in some vegan Facebook group about a new product they heard was available. We ran out to see if we could find some and low and behold there it was.
Yall this product is so new that it’s not even on the Silk website yet!
Just staring at us like please take me home and tell everyone about how amazing I am.
So that’s just want we are going to do today.
Let me first start off by saying that this is a completely unbiased and not sponsored review.
We are not getting paid to promote the product in any way (however, Silk, if you are reading this, hit us up, because we have even more recipe ideas).
If you have seen any of our other taste tests then you know that we are 100% honest in our opinions. If you haven’t, check them out:
- Vegan Vanilla Yogurt Taste Test (17 brands)
- Vegan Shredded Cheese Taste Test
- Holiday: Vegan Eggnog Taste Test
- Vegan Grilled Cheese Taste Test
What we wanted to do with this brand new product was to see how closely it mimicked traditional heavy cream and also test out some recipes to share with you.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Watch Silk Vegan Heavy Whipping Cream video review:
Pin this post for later:
What are the ingredients in Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream?
Surprisingly there are just 7 ingredients on the label.
Those ingredients are:
- Filtered water
- coconut oil
- sunflower oil
- faba bean protein
- guar gum
- sunflower lecithin
- and natural flavors.
We couldn’t believe how easy it was to read all the ingredients and be able to pronounce everything. It’s almost impossible to find products like that anymore.
Is this vegan heavy cream allergen friendly?
The only allergen listed on the ingredient list is coconut in the form of oil.
Other than that, this new product from Silk has no Top 8 allergens.
It’s also listed as gluten free directly on the packaging.
We do want to mention that the packaging does not say vegan on it, but we reached out to Silk and they assured us that their entire product line, including this new dairy free heavy whipping cream is in fact vegan.
This also has zero carbs (yay Keto friends) and not a significant amount of cholesterol.
One last thing that we want to point out is that there is a warning label that reads “Produced in a facility that also processes dairy, soy, and tree nuts”
Remember that this not a required label for products but just a precaution if you have severe allergies.
What is the price point for this?
The store we found it at was $4.28 for 16oz. This is pretty spot on in our opinion. Most regular heavy creams (not store brands) run between $3-5 dollars, so this falls right into that amount.
Most of the time dairy free alternatives are priced way higher, so we are happy to see a product falling right on target.
Where can I find Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream?
We found the product at our local Walmart store which is where we have seen other people finding.
However, someone in our vegan Facebook group posted that they found It out Meijer. We don’t have that store to up so I can’t confirm that. But hopefully it means that other stores will pop up with it quickly.
What does it look like?
Silk’s new dairy free heavy whipping cream is pure white and has almost spot on the consistency of traditional heavy cream.
One important thing to note is that you do have to vigorously shake the container in order for there to be no clumps when pouring. The carton does say shake well on the outside.
What does it taste like?
Traditional heavy cream doesn’t taste like anything and neither does Silk’s dairy free heavy whipping cream.
Even though it has coconut oil inside, there is no coconut taste.
Does it whip?
One of the first questions we had and we know many of you would is whether or not it will whip up to stiff peaks just like traditional heavy cream.
The answer…kind of.
We couldn’t get to stiff peaks even using a chilled bowl; however, it did get soft peaks.
If you left it sit out at room temperature it did start to melt a bit, but if you left it in the fridge, it held its consistency.
One thing to note, if you over beat the mixture while whipping, it will begin to separate.
*Note:We will keep testing to see if adding powdered sugar instead would allow you to make a frosting and store at room temperature.
Vegan Whipped Topping Recipe using Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a chilled bowl of a stand mixer, add the dairy free heavy cream and begin to beat on medium speed.
- Slowly add in the sugar and pure vanilla extract.
- Continue to beat until peaks begin to form. About 4-5 minutes max. Overbeating will cause it to separate.
- Use immediately or place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Can you make caramel sauce with it?
A resounding yes. And my oh my is it so good. This would be perfect to dip with apples or pour over top of a cake or other dessert like our no bake vegan chocolate cheesecake.
Vegan Caramel Sauce Recipe using Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a small pot over medium heat, add brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, and vanilla.
- Let cook, stirring frequently for 6-10 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in pinch of salt.
- Let cool before using. Can be reheated if hardened.
Can you make alfredo with it?
Holy moly oh my gosh. Can you? Yes, yes, yes. And it is absolutely delicious. Beyond amazing. And takes under 15 minutes to make, making this a quick and simple meal.
We used vegan chickenless strips and fettuccine to make a vegan chicken alfredo and we could have eaten the entire pot in one sitting.
Vegan Chicken Alfredo Recipe using Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2lb pasta
- 1 package vegan chickless strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup Silk’s Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup vegan parmesan (we used Violife)
- Salt and pepper
- Start the pasta in boiling water and cook according to instructions. Use gluten free pasta if needed.
- In a skillet, cook the vegan chickless strips according to package. Once cooked, remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the Silk Heavy cream and vegan parmesan cheese.
- Stir together and allow to cook for 4-5 until the parmesan has slightly melted (not all of it will).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully combine the drained pasta and cooked vegan chickenless strips in and serve with vegan garlic bread.