These easy and fluffy vegan pancakes are the best! They need just 9 ingredients to make the perfect weekend breakfast recipe. Ready in 30 minutes and can be top 8 allergen free.
Pancakes are essential. A lifeline for most people. Regardless of dietary concerns, one of the most requested recipes we get is pancakes. And these are the best fluffy vegan pancakes!
Yes fluffy! We promise that if you follow our tips and tricks, you will finally be able to perfect how to make fluffy vegan pancakes. And we also promise that it’s not rocket science.
We aren’t going to have you in the kitchen for hours or having to wait overnight for your batter. While most people think that creating fluffy vegan pancakes is a mystery, we have sold the world’s oldest conundrum and we are sharing it with you all today.
You want something that isn’t thin. You want airy and fluffy. Something with a rise on it.
Fortunately, these easy vegan pancakes do all of that.
They come together in just 30 minutes from start to finish. Maybe even faster if you have a griddle and can cook them more than one at a time. And you will leave the breakfast table not only thinking that you are on top of the world, but you will finally be able to say you made the best vegan pancakes.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do I need for fluffy vegan pancakes?
You only need 9 ingredients to make these deliciously, fluffy vegan pancakes. There is nothing out of the ordinary and should be pantry staples in most homes.
Full recipe amounts listed in the printable recipe card below.
The ingredients that you need are:
- Dairy Free Milk and Apple Cider Vinegar– When combined, these two ingredients mimic buttermilk which is the flavor that we want in this recipe.
- flour– the star of the show! we really recommend using all-purpose flour
- vegan sugar– We add a little sugar since these are supposed to be sweet biscuits. If you want to learn more about why your sugar may not be vegan, you can learn more by clicking on the link.
- baking powder– This is helping us get the rise we need from the flour when baking and the baking soda is helping in that as well
- vanilla – helps to enhance the flavor
- salt– do not omit here, the salt helps to tighten the gluten strains, but also really brings the flavor out
- flax egg – When you combine ground flax seed with water and let it sit, you get a gelatinous mixture. We are using this as an egg replacer for this recipe, but also helps with texture as well
- oil – helps with moisture, texture, and richness. We are using vegetable oil in the recipe in our photos
- toppings – get creative! In the photos, we are using sliced fresh strawberries and chocolate chips; however, we have a full list of ideas below
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Flour – can use a 1:1 gluten free blend if needed
- Apple Cider Vinegar– white vinegar or lemon juice could be subbed
- vegan sugar– brown sugar, granulated date sugar or coconut sugar could be substituted
- Oil – use your favorite baking safe oil or vegan butter instead of vegetable oil
- Flax Egg – Subs for the flax egg include ¼ cup of any of the following:
- coconut cream
- unsweetened applesauce
- banana, pumpkin or sweet potato puree
- non-dairy yogurt.
- *Note some of these may alter taste and texture.
Tips for how do you make easy, fluffy vegan pancakes:
If you want to make the best vegan pancakes, there are some tips we want to call out to make sure you follow. While it’s easy to want to take short cuts there’s reasons for why we have it set up like we do:
- We say it so often, but please follow the instructions and carefully measure out the ingredients. Mismeasuring and not following step by step are two of the easiest ways to mess up recipes.
- Don’t try to do this in one bowl from the start. Sure there are plenty of one bowl pancake recipes, but we have found that in order to get the fluffiest pancakes, the dry and wet ingredients really should be mixed separately.
- Do not over mix, do not over mix, DO NOT OVER MIX! Hopefully we said that enough times. But overmixing your batter, allows more gluten strands to form and in turn, that leads to denser pancakes. We want airy ones!
- Don’t rush the process. Let the batter sit after mixing. This not only helps with airiness but also that fluffiness. Use this time to cut up some fruit or prep anything else you are serving with your pancakes! But please, let it wait.
- Have your heat lower than you think! You don’t want to rush the process! Let them cook low and slow!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes! Just add double the amount of ingredients and just proceed.
Yes! These will last at least 4-5 days if store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Absolutely. We recommend flash freezing by placing cooked and cooled pancakes on a baking sheet and then freezing them.
After 15-20 minutes they should be frozen enough to pop into a freezer safe container or bag.
The only Top 8 Allergen in this recipe is flour. You can replace that with a gluten free flour.
We have had the best results with this King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure flour.
You can put an oven safe dish in your oven at the lowest temperature ( around 200 degrees F).
Place each pancake in the oven until all done. They should still be perfectly warmed to eat.
What are other vegan pancakes I should try?
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Japanese Souffle Pancakes
- Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Pancakes
- Vegan Sheet Pan Pancakes
Pin these fluffy vegan pancakes for later:
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
- 1 cup dairy free milk (any will work)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (or another netural oil)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup flour (can sub gluten free if needed – sub our flour rec in post)
- 1 ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon vegan cane sugar
- vegan butter for pan
- Make the vegan buttermilk and vegan flax egg. *For the vegan buttermilk, combine the apple cider vinegar with the dairy free milk. Let this sit for 10 minutes. It will curdle a bit and resemble buttermilk. *For the flax egg, stir together the water and ground flax seed. Let sit for 10 minutes until it becomes gelatinous.
- When those are ready, add the flax egg, buttermilk, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, add the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt, and vegan cane sugar. Whisk together.
- In 3 parts, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold this in just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Let your batter sit for 5 minutes. Doing this helps it get airy and puffy.
- Over medium low heat, pour ½ cup pancake batter and cook for 2 ½-3 ½ minutes. Once there are a lot of bubbles or the other side is a golden brown, flip and then cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and repeat until no batter remains.
- Top with syrup, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce and more.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
This post was originally published on 5/4/2020 and updated on 1/12/2022.