These vegan sweet potato pancakes are the perfect fall spin on traditional pancakes! Perfectly sweet and fluffy for a great, filling vegan breakfast option.
Everyone has heard of vegan pumpkin pancakes, but their closely related friend, not so much. If you have never had vegan sweet potato pancakes, you are in for a treat!
These vegan sweet potato pancakes are so fluffy, you’ll think you’re in a restaurant. And the sweet potato adds the perfect hint of extra sweet that you want for breakfast.
Whether you choose to make these for your vegan Thanksgiving breakfast, or just any fall day, you are sure to be in for a treat!
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
What ingredients do you need to make vegan sweet potato pancakes?
These dairy and egg free sweet potato pancakes need 10 ingredients to make and they are so so good! We love that it’s such a minimal list of ingredients and comes together in just one bowl!
- Cooked Sweet Potato
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vanilla almond milk (or other dairy free milk if allergic)
- Flour (use GF cup for cup flour if allergic)
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract
How do you make vegan sweet potato pancakes?
You need to start with already cooked sweet potatoes. This is perfect if you baked too many for dinner or boiled too many for your vegan sweet potato pie.
Start by removing the skin and mashing the sweet potatoes.
Then, combine the vinegar and dairy free milk. Let this sit for 10 minutes. Doing this makes vegan buttermilk.
While you wait for that to sit, in a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. Whisk together.
When ready, add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients and combine gently. Then, add in the mashed sweet potatoes and vanilla and combine well again.
Add a small amount of dairy free butter to a skillet over medium low heat. Add 1/2 cup of pancake mixture to the skillet.
Wait until bubbles start to form and flip. Cook other side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and remove. Repeat until no batter remains.
Serve topped with vegan butter, syrup, nut butter, or any of your favorite sauces!
Tip: Place an oven safe dish in the oven at the lowest temperature. Place pancakes on the dish after cooking to keep the pancakes warm while you cook all of them.
Can these be Top 8 Allergen Free Sweet Potato Pancakes?
These vegan sweet potato pancakes are already very allergy friendly; however, they do contain wheat in the form of flour and almond milk.
If you need this recipe to be completely allergen friendly in regards to the Top 8 allergies, we would suggest that you switch the flour for gluten free cup for cup flour (we like this one).
Replace the almond milk with a safe dairy free alternative milk that your family loves. We would go with oat milk.
Can I prep these Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes ahead?
Yes! These dairy free sweet potato pancakes can be made ahead and then either store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. Or, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
What other vegan pancake recipes should I try?
Once you try these delicious vegan sweet potato pancakes, you may want to try our other vegan pancake ideas:
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Spring Fav: Vegan Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Pancakes (can omit the cheesecake)
Pin these vegan sweet potato pancakes for later:
Are you following us on social media? Be the first to see what we’re doing and finding, behind the scenes, and other get recipes are resources we’ve finding by following along.
FACEBOOK INSTAGRAM PINTEREST TWITTER YOUTUBE
Vegan Sweet Potato Pancakes
- *If you don't have already cooked sweet potatoes, boil 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes until fork tender. Then remove skin and mash the sweet potatoes very well.
- Combine the vinegar and dairy free milk. Let this sit for 10 minutes. This makes vegan buttermilk.
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients. Whisk together.
- When ready, add the buttermilk to the dry ingredients and combine gently.
- Add in the mashed sweet potatoes and vanilla and combine well again.
- Add a small amount of dairy free butter to a skillet over medium low heat. Once melted, Add 1/2 cup of pancake mixture to the skillet.
- Wait until bubbles start to form and flip. Cook other side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and remove.
- Repeat until no batter remains.
- Serve topped with vegan butter, syrup, nut butter, or any favorite sauces!
- Tip: Place an oven safe dish in the oven at the lowest temperature. Place pancakes on the dish after cooking to keep the pancakes warm while you cook all of them.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!