These Vegan Vanilla Butter and Chocolate Walnut Cinnamon Rolls in Muffin Tins are such a delicious spin on traditional vegan cinnamon rolls. Made in a muffin tin for the perfect shape.
Cinnamon rolls are known for one of the special breakfast mornings. And these Vegan Vanilla Butter and Chocolate Walnut Cinnamon Rolls take it to the next level.
The combination of vanilla butter and the chocolate walnut filling is unlike anything you’ve ever tried before and you will feel like you were transformed right into your favorite bakery.
All while in the comfort of your own home.
Bonus is that these are made fun by putting them in muffin tins and they get a perfectly circle shape that way.
However, if you enjoy traditional cinnamon rolls in a pan, you can do that as well.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I prep these vegan cinnamon rolls ahead?
Yes! You sure can! There are two options.
- Once you make the dough and cover it to rise, you can place the bowl in the fridge up to 2 days before you plan to use it.
- You can make the entire recipe and then store your cinnamon rolls in an air tight container in the fridge for 5 days.
Do I have to make these in muffin tins?
Proceed with the recipe as direct and instead of putting it into muffin tins, just put them into a greased baking dish.
Can I use pecans instead of walnuts?
Yes! Use the same amount of chopped pecans instead of walnuts and proceed with the recipe as directed.
Are these Vegan Vanilla Butter and Chocolate Walnut Cinnamon Rolls Top 8 Allergen Free?
Unfortunately, at the time, we cannot recommend using a gluten free flour with this recipe. Please know that we are working on a gluten free dough, but it’s just not quite there yet.
You can omit the walnuts without changing the recipe.
Otherwise, as long as you use a safe dairy free milk, (Oat is our favorite) and soy free butter (try Earth Balance soy free) then you will be all set.
Could I make other things with the dough besides cinnamon rolls?
Yes! This recipe using our vegan everything dough that can be used for cinnamon rolls, pull apart bread and more! Grab our vegan everything dough recipes by clicking that link and you’ll get a ton more ideas!
Can I make other flavors of cinnamon rolls?
You sure can!
- classic vegan cinnamon rolls
- vegan raspberry cinnamon rolls
- vegan blueberry cinnamon rolls
- no yeast vegan cinnamon rolls
- vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls
- vegan chocolate cinnamon rolls
Pin these Vegan Vanilla Butter and Chocolate Walnut Cinnamon Rolls in Muffin Tins for later:
Vegan Vanilla Butter and Chocolate Walnut Cinnamon Rolls
For the Vanilla Butter Filling
For the Chocolate Walnut Filling
For the Glaze Topping
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk (may need 1 more tbsp depending on desired consistency)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups vegan powdered sugar
For the Cinnamon Rolls
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast, and salt.
- Then, add in the dairy free milk and maple syrup.
- Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Once ball is formed, grease the same bowl mixed in and place the dough ball back into the bowl. *If you are oil free, then just make sure sides of bowl are floured, or use a silicone bowl to easily get it out
- Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 60-90 minutes in a warm, draft free place until doubled.
- Once doubled in size, pull out the dough and lay it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough into an approximately 17×25″ rectangle that is 1/4″ thick.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vanilla butter ingredients – softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, add the walnuts and drizzle the melted coconut oil over top. Stir together. Sprinkle cocoa powder over top and stir together.
- Spread the vanilla butter mixture evenly across dough.
- Spread the walnut over butter mixture evenly.
- Carefully roll cinnamon rolls into log from the longest side up. One completely rolled, place seam side down. Cut into even sized pieces – 9 for larger cinnamon rolls or more for smaller ones.
- Place into jumbo muffin tins and cover. Heat oven to 150 degrees, turn off and place covered dish inside to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let oven preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Once heated, place tins back inside and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.
For the Vegan Glaze
- Whisk together melted butter, milk and salt.
- Add in a little powdered sugar at a time, whisking after each addition until a smooth glaze forms.
- Once cinnamon rolls come out, let cool for 5 minutes, then evenly spread glaze across rolls.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!