Learn how to make vegan strawberry pop tarts completely from scratch! It will totally have you feeling like a kid all over again!
Strawberry is the classic, everyone has tried it, pop tart flavor. As today we are showing you how to make your very own vegan strawberry pop tarts.
While many of us grow up and never touch a pop tart after the age of 25, for some it’s still a go to. For others, it’s a every once in awhile treat.
However, when you go vegan there’s like 1 flavor you can have and even then, it may not be your favorite or it’s hard to find. It’s even harder to find off brand ones or organic ones that do not contain dairy.
But here we are. Stuck between wanting a fun breakfast on the go and not getting it. Until now.
Now you can have your pop tart and eat it too, and know every ingredient that goes into it.
What’s even better is that they can be frozen for even faster breakfasts on the go when you are in a pinch and don’t want to stop and grab something.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I prep these ahead?
They will last for 7 days in the fridge in an air tight container. Or you can let cool completely and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can these be Top 8 Allergen Free?
The top allergens in this recipe are wheat and soy.
The soy is in the vegan shortening, but you can replace that with Earth Balance soy free butter, in the red tub. It won’t be as flaky, but it will still be great.
Note: if you use butter to replace the shortening, after folding and sealing the edges, you will need to let the pop tarts sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before putting in the oven!
The flour can be replaced with gluten free flour in the same amount. We like this GF flour.
Can I put other fillings inside?
Absolutely. If you are running short on time you could just use jelly or jam.
However, we also have some other fun flavors for you to try!
- Vegan Cherry Pop Tarts
- Vegan Blueberry Pop Tarts
- Vegan Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts
Leave a comment below and let us know what flavors you’d like to see us try.
What other vegan breakfasts should I try?
Once you try this delicious vegan breakfast skillet, you may be looking for other amazing vegan breakfast ideas that you should try. We are sharing both sweet and savory dairy free breakfast ideas.
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
- Super Soft Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Glazed Vegan Donuts
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Perfect Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Vegan Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuits
- Vegan French Toast
Pin these vegan strawberry pop tarts for later:
Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts
For the Strawberry Filling
For the vegan crust
For the Strawberry Filling
- Remove stems from strawberries.
- Add berries, 1/4 cup water, and sugar to a sauce pot over medium heat. Stir together. Then, bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and mash the berries with a potato masher. Let reduce for 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl add remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch. Whisk together to dissolve.
- Remove berry mixture from heat and add cornstarch mixture immediately. Stir constantly while adding.
- Let cool completely before adding to dough.
For the vegan crust
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, and sugar. Stir together with a fork.
- Cut vegan shortening into tablespoon size cubes and then using a fork combine together until crumbly.
- Pour in milk and vanilla.
- Stir until combined.
- Use hands to form a dough.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper down and sprinkle with flour. Lay dough down and sprinkle with a touch of flour on top.
- Roll out dough into an 18×24 inch rectangle. Tip: If you don't have a lot of counter space, split dough in half and roll out each piece into a 9×12 inch rectangle.
- Cut the dough vertically from the longest side every 3 inches. You should end up with 8 strips of dough. *If doing the 2 9×12 rectangles, cut each piece into 4 strips.
- Lightly brush the dough with vegan milk.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Once strawberry filling has cooled completely, fill the lower 4 inches of dough with mixture, about 1-2 tablespoons. Leave 1/2 inch between each side.
- Fold the top half of the dough over on top of the bottom.
- Firmly press them together trying not to leave any air pockets.
- Use a fork and press along all the edges.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops with more vegan milk.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top and around edges.
- Place on a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Make the icing by adding powdered sugar to a bowl and whisk in a teaspoon of water at a time until slightly runny.
- Add in the vanilla and whisk again.
- Dip the tops of the pop tarts into the icing or drizzle on top.
- Add chopped freeze dried strawberries or sprinkles on top if desired.
- Serve or store in an air tight container – room temperature for 1-2 or 7 days in the fridge. Can freeze for up to 6 months.
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!