This Vegan Mug Brownie is an insanely fluffy and rich 5 minute vegan dessert when you are craving something sweet without the hassle!
Mug desserts are some of the best deserts that you can ever make! They are simple, easy, and all of the flavor without the work. This vegan mug brownie is no exception.
If you are craving brownies, but don’t want to wait an hour until they are done or you just don’t need an entire pan of them, then this vegan brownie in a mug is the perfect option for you.
If you’ve never heard of vegan mug desserts, they are exactly what you imagine they would be. A dessert made inside of a mug. They take literally about 5 minutes to make – 3 to mix the ingredients together and 2 minutes inside the microwave. They are so so good.
This recipe makes enough for 2 small servings or 1 large serving.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
My vegan mug brownie tastes spongy, chewy, or rubbery. What happened?
Overcooking can happen very quickly with a mug dessert leading to an undesired texture.
Under microwaving is better than over microwaving it and you can do it in increments after checking.
How do I know when my vegan mug brownie is done?
The middle of the top of the brownie will no longer be wet/moist when it is done.
My brownie is dry. What happened?
There are a few reasons that this can happen.
- Inaccurate measurements — since this is mostly tablespoons, make sure that you do not add heaping tablespoons. Level off the ingredients, especially the flour as this is the usually culprit.
- Overmixing – You want to mix just until combined. The more you mix the brownie, the tougher it will be. Do make sure that you get to the bottom and stir up all the flour.
- Overcooking – As soon as the middle is no longer moist, the brownie is ready. You don’t want to over cook it as the longer it’s in the microwave the harder it will get.
Why is there flour at the bottom of my mug still?
Flour is left if you did not completely stir the mixture together. Make sure when mixing that you get all the way to the bottom and stir together.
CAN I MAKE THIS A TOP 8 ALLERGEN FRIENDLY VEGAN MUG BROWNIE?
There are a few ingredients that we are looking at for Top 8 allergens, but it is possible to make these Top 8 safe.
To start, use a gluten free flour (we like this GF flour).
Then, use a safe for you dairy free milk. We like oat, but you could use hemp or flax or pea milk for a top 8 free milk.
And finally, the melted coconut oil can be swapped with another oil like canola or you can use a soy free, dairy free butter like Earth Balance soy free in the red tub.
Can I make vegan mug brownie in advance?
We don’t recommend making this up in advance. It only takes 5 minutes to make and is really is best served as soon as it is made.
If you did want this to go even faster, then you could make little containers filled with the dry ingredient mixture and then all you’d have to do when ready is add the wet ingredients.
Can I make this oil free?
Yes, you can replace the oil with the same amount of unsweetened, unflavored applesauce at the same stage the oil is added.
Note that oil is used for moistness, tenderness, and helping with the crumble that traditionally happens with brownie. Swapping oil with applesauce can lead to a more dense brownie.
WHAT ARE SOME VEGAN TOPPING OR MIX-IN IDEAS FOR THIS VEGAN MUG BROWNIE?
One great thing about brownies is that you can mix in and add so many toppings. We absolutely love doing this.
It’s important to note that you don’t have to do any of this, it’s just an optional thing.
Some ideas for vegan mug brownie mix-in ideas are:
- nuts – walnuts or peanuts
- chocolate or white chocolate chips
- swirl in peanut butter
- vegan marshmallows – add these to the top right before it’s finished
- crushed cookies – like oreos or biscoff
- flavored extracts – like orange or peppermint
Some ideas for vegan mug brownie topping ideas are:
- No Churn Vegan Ice Cream
- Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Easy Vegan Whipped Cream
- Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Frosting
WHAT OTHER DELICIOUS VEGAN DESSERTS SHOULD I TRY?
Once you have perfected these vegan vanilla cupcakes, you may be looking out for other delicious dairy free cupcakes or cakes. Here are some dairy free dessert recipe ideas.
- Vegan Coconut Cake
- Dye Free Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Vegan Strawberry Cake
- (Photoed above) Vegan Brooklyn Blackout Cake
- Vegan Apple Pie
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Vegan Lemon Pound Cake
Pin this vegan mug brownie for later!
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Vegan Mug Brownie
- In an oversized, microwavable mug (12-16oz) whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add in the dairy free milk, vegan butter, and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Careful not to overmix.
- Microwave for 60 seconds to 1 ½ minutes, or until firm to the touch (timing is based on microwave wattage). Let cool just a little but eat immediately.
- Serve warm with vegan ice cream and other favorite toppings.