This vegan grilled fruit tart is going to be your new favorite go to dessert. Perfectly smoked and seasoned for maximum flavor.
If you have never grilled fruit, man oh man, you don’t know what you are missing. When we first grilled fruit it was just like kabob style or just eaten off a plate after grilling; however, this vegan grilled fruit tart takes it to the next level.
We guarantee that you are going to go crazy for this delicious recipe.
Flakey puff pastry with a sweet cream cheese middle and topped with perfectly grilled fruit, it’s literally what dreams are made of.
This is also an easy but amazing dessert to serve when you have guests over. They will think that you bought this or had it catered.
And just so we are clear, we totally wouldn’t judge if you decided this is what you are having for breakfast.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
VEGAN GRILLED FRUIT TART INGREDIENTS:
Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this dairy free grilled fruit tart:
- Puff Pastry – The based of our tart is a puff pastry. It gives a super flakey crust and is really easy to work with, especially if you are new to the kitchen.
- Fresh Fruit – We used peaches, strawberries, and pineapple for the photos in this post. The combination of these three together when fresh, ripe and in season is something out of this world.
- Vegan Cream Cheese – Plant based cream cheese is the base of this dish. Just like you wouldn’t want cake with a bad frosting, you don’t want a bad cream cheese on your tart. We highly recommend using one that you truly love. If you aren’t sure yet, check out our vegan cream cheese taste test.
- Sugar – We use maple sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar, and powdered sugar in this recipe. Yes, it’s a large variety Yes, you have some other options that we will list below. Definitely make sure you are using a vegan sugar brand.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS:
- Puff Pastry – We really love the flakiness of the puff pastry here, but you could also use phyllo dough or vegan pie crust.
- Fresh Fruit – While we used peaches, strawberries, and pineapple, you can use any fruit that you really wanted. You also don’t have to grill the fruit. You could just use fresh fruit.
- Vegan Cream Cheese – Instead of doing the cream cheese mixture, you could use vegan frosting as well. Click the link for our options.
- Sugar – You can omit the sprinkled sugar across and use maple syrup for brushing and to mix with the fruit. Alternatively, you could use coconut sugar for these as well. We’d recommend keeping the powdered sugar in the cream cheese mixture; but you could also just spread cream cheese down as well.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR VEGAN GRILLED FRUIT TART:
Are fruit tarts healthy?
Fruits tarts are a healthy alternative to most deserts such as cookies and cakes. We do still use cream cheese and refined sugar (that you can substitute) but overall, it is a decent dessert option per serving size.
How to store the tart?
We would recommend not storing the tart if possible and consuming right away. Allowing the tart to sit can cause it to be soggy and the fruits juices to release on top of the tart rather than when you eat it.
If you need to prep this ahead we recommend grilling the fruit and storing that in a container, mixing the cream cheese mixture and storing it separately and then the puff pastry separately. Then when ready to eat, slightly reheat the tart and fruit and assemble according to instructions.
How to reheat the fruit tart?
The tart is at its best when served immediately. If you would like to reheat the tart, add it into the oven at 350 F for 5-10 mins to get it to crisp up a bit.
Would this be good without cooked/grilled fruit?
Absolutely! While grilled fruit is amazing, feel free to add fresh fruit of your choice and enjoy.
Why grill fruit? Is it healthy?
Grilling fruit as a smokiness to it that is just a great and subtle twist to your traditional desserts. The heat also releases the moisture and leaves in most of the nutrients since we aren’t cooking long. It also provides a caramelization to the fruit which pulls out the sweetness to perfection.
What fruit can be grilled?
Most fruits can be grilled as long as it is not overripe or soft. You want the fruit to be firm to hold its shape. Consider cutting some fruits thicker (like bananas) when grilling. They also don’t need long. When in doubt, use less time than more.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Free?
What other vegan easy dessert ideas could I make?
- Vegan Peanut Butter Fudge
- Vegan Orange Creamsicle Popsicles
- No Bake Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Vanilla Mug Cake
- Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pin this vegan grilled fruit tart for later!
Vegan Grilled Fruit Tart
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar, optional
- 1 large lemon
- 2 medium fresh peaches, cut into pieces
- 10 fresh strawberries, halved (stems removed)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- mint, optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together plant based butter and syrup. Set aside.
- Roll out the pastry to approximately 10”x10”. Score all 4 edges to make a 1” boarder. Brush with edges with the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle on the sugar on the edges if desired. Bake about 15 – 20 mins until puffy and brown.
- Preheat grill to 300 degrees F and oil it.
- Grate lemon zest to measure 1 tablespoon and add it to a bowl. Cut lemon and squeeze juice into bowl. Add peaches, strawberries, pineapple, brown sugar, and salt. Toss gently.
- Add fruit to skewers and then grill 2-3 minutes, flip and cook another 2-3 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- In a bowl, cream together the plant based cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the inside of the cooked pastry. Add grilled fruit on the top. Add mint leaves on top if desired.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!