Vegan Cheesy Hamburger Helper is the perfect comfort food vegan dinner idea that even the kids will devour! This easy 20 minute vegan meal will even be enjoyed by your carnivore friends. Top 8 Free Friendly!
Unless you are a raw vegan or whole foods plant based, there’s a good possibility that you eat some processed types of foods. Even if it’s just on occasion and you hold out for those super busy nights, we all need a few options. This vegan cheesy hamburger helper skillet meal is one you need to add.
It’s such a comfort meal. And maybe that’s because my mom only cooked from boxes that It reminds me of my childhood; however, most people will agree that almost everything that contains pasta as the main ingredients is sure to be a hit.
And this is no different!
It’s super cheesy (vegan cheesy, of course) but it’s not on made with any nuts, carrots, or potatoes, etc., .
This meal needs just about 20 minutes to make from start to finish. So, if you’re one of those families with kids always on the go, or maybe it’s you in the older soccer group; whatever the case is, this vegan dinner idea is sure to be a hit.
Plus, this dish can easily be Top 8 Allergen Free! We explain it all below!
What ingredients do I need for vegan cheesy hamburger helper?
This recipe combos our homemade vegan nacho cheese with a few other ingredients for one epic and amazing dinner idea.
The cheese sauce itself takes just 5 minutes to make and the rest of the recipe comes together in about 15 minutes for one easy and comforting meal.
The ingredients that you need are:
- Pasta noodles (elbows or something similar is best. Use gluten free if needed)
- Vegan ground crumbles
- Red Onion
- Bell Pepper (green or red)
- Vegan Butter
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Recipe
- salt and pepper
How do I make this vegan cheesy hamburger helper skillet?
This recipe is so easy to make! You are going to put it on repeat in your menu plan!
The first thing that you are going to start cooking your pasta according to the box instructions. When done reserve ½ cup pasta water and drain.
While that is cooking, add all the ingredients for the vegan nacho cheese recipe into your blender. Set aside.
Chop up your onion, pepper, and garlic.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, add some vegan butter into your skillet and let melt. Add in the onion and pepper and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Then, add in your garlic for one more minute.
Add in the vegan crumbles and let cook for 4 minutes.
Pour in half the vegan cheese sauce and your pasta. Stir around until very well combined.
If you need your sauce thinned a bit, add in a splash of the reserved pasta water.
If you want your pasta cheesier, add more of the nacho cheese sauce.
Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
*use the leftover nacho cheese sauce for dipping, burgers, and more!
How do I prep this vegan dinner idea ahead of time?
This recipe will last up to 3 days in the fridge, which means you could prep it that far in advance.
You may need to add a splash or broth or vegan milk when reheating if it needs it.
Can I make this Top 8 Allergen Friendly?
Yes! This meal can be completely Top 8 Allergen Friendly.
First, make sure your pasta noodles are gluten free.
Then, you want to make sure that you are also choosing a vegan ground crumbles that are allergen friendly too. Some have soy and wheat in them. The Beyond crumbles are allergen friendly.
Lastly, make sure you pick a vegan butter that is safe or use oil. We use Earth Balance soy free which is in a red tub.
What other vegan dinner ideas should I try?
If you love this easy dairy free dinner recipe, you may be wondering what other dairy free dinner ideas we have. Here are some ideas we have (all are vegan):
- Vegan Tomato, Spinach & Sausage Quinoa Bowls
- Vegan Instant Pot Tex-Mex Rice
- Dairy Free Taco Casserole
- Dairy Free Pizza
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Dairy Free Alfredo
- Dairy Free Nachos
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin this vegan cheesy hamburger helper skillet for later!
Vegan Cheesy Hamburger Helper Skillet
Vegan Nacho Sauce
- 1 15oz can Butter Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4oz can diced mild jalapenos (see notes for spice level)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 2 tablespoon oat flour
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- Cook pasta according to the box instructions. When done reserve ½ cup pasta water and drain.
- While that is cooking, add all the ingredients for the vegan nacho cheese recipe into blender. Follow directions for blending. Set aside.
- Chop up your onion, pepper, and garlic.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add some vegan butter and let melt.
- Add in onion and pepper and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in vegan crumbles and let cook for 4 minutes.
- Pour in half the vegan cheese sauce and cooked pasta. Stir around until very well combined.
- If sauce needs thinned a bit, add in a splash of the reserved pasta water. If cheesier pasta is desired, add more of the nacho cheese sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Sprinkle some vegan parmesan on top if desired.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
This post was originally published on 10/16/2019 and updated on 1/10/2021.