If you are looking for an easy way to use butternut squash, then these healthy vegan butternut squash nuggets are what you need! Just 6 ingredients needed.
Whether you grew a garden or you saw butternut squash on sale for $.69/lb and wondering how to use it, these vegan butternut squash nuggets will be a great recipe to try out.
Andrew and I both agreed that we don’t think we ever tried butternut squash (knowingly, maybe like mixed in something) until we were well into our mid-20s.
For the longest time, we didn’t even know what to do with one. Yet, now, it’s one of our fall go to squashes.
They are so easy to use and have such a wide range of uses that most people don’t even know about.
In fact, they are very similar to pumpkins, but actually taste sweeter, making them an even better option to roast and puree and turn into your favorite fall sweets like pie, bread, and more!
But today, we are using it for a savory option! We are going to be making a healthier, plant based alternative to nuggets.
Never miss another recipe! Get our recipes straight to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter today! Our Top 15 posts automatically sent to you! Plus, enjoy behind the scenes, giveaways, and other exclusive content!
Sign up for our newsletter HERE!!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make these Butternut Squash Nuggets Top 8 Allergen Free?
Yes! The only allergen ingredient here is the panko bread crumbs, which contain gluten. If you are gluten free, we’d encourage you to use either gluten free panko breadcrumbs or another alternatives like chickpea breadcrumbs.
Can I prep these ahead?
Yes! You can make these are directed and then let cool completely and store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Note, that when ready to eat they will be soft but can be quickly crisp up again by reheating in the oven or air fryer for 5-10 minutes. We do prefer the air fryer so we don’t have to wait for the oven to heat up.
Can I freeze vegan butternut squash nuggets?
Yes! You can either freeze them before cooking or after. If after, make sure they are cooled.
Either way you want to freeze then on a wax lined baking sheet and then place in the freeze for at least an hour. Then you can transfer them to a freezer safe bag or container.
Can I make these from other types of squash?
Yes! These would also work with a variety of vegetables. Pumpkin, acorn squash, zucchini, or even carrots should work when make this recipe!
What other vegan dinner ideas could I make?
If you love this easy dairy free dinner recipe, you may be wondering what other dairy free dinner ideas we have. Here are some ideas we have (all are vegan):
- Vegan Taco Casserole
- Vegan Instant Pot Tex-Mex Rice
- Easy Vegan Cheesy Hamburger Helper
- Vegan Tomato, Spinach & Sausage Quinoa Bowls
- Dairy Free Pizza
- Vegan Italian Meatballs
- Dairy Free Alfredo
- Dairy Free Nachos
- Easy Dairy Free Spinach & Walnut Pesto
Pin these vegan butternut squash nuggets for later:
Vegan Butternut Squash Nuggets
- 1.5 lb butternut squash (about 1/2 of a squash or 400g), uncooked and shredded
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs (use GF if needed)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (alternatively can do batches in air fryer at the same temperature). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the flax seeds and water. Stir together and let sit for at least 10 minutes. (This makes a flax egg)
- Halve the squash and remove seeds. Peel the skin off. Shred the squash with a grater.
- In a large bowl, add shredded squash, flax egg mixture, panko breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix together well.
- Scoop out 2 heaping tablespoons of mixture and squeeze together tightly. Shape into a nugget shape. *Note: Pack this tightly. Any loose strands will burn in the oven.
- Place onto baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. Makes approximately 20 nuggets.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Both sides should be crispy. *If using an air fryer, check after 15-20 minutes. Some fryers cook faster.
- Serve with your favorite sauce
★★★★★ Did you make this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating below!
Share a photo of our recipe you made! Tag us @makeitdairyfree and use #MakeItDairyFree on Social so we can feature you!