These easy plain vegan bagels need just 7 ingredients to make perfect at home breakfast. Chewy, soft, and can be frozen.
When you first hear plain vegan bagels, you may think they seem hard; however, they are insanely easy to make.
The result is absolutely delicious and chewy, warm and soft fresh out of the oven bagels that are incredible.
You need minimal ingredients to make these easy vegan bagels and you will shock yourself at the end result that you made them.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this gluten free?
Unfortunately at this time we don’t have a gluten free blend that we can recommend.
Top 8 Allergen Free?
Besides, gluten, this recipe is Top 8 Allergen Free. We will update the post once we have a gluten free recommendation.
Can I prep these ahead?
Yes! Once made, they will last for up to 7 days in an air tight container.
Can I freeze these vegan bagels?
Absolutely! We know that you may not be able to eat all 8 bagels right away. Once completely cooled, you can freeze these bagels in an air tight freezer container or freezer safe bag. Our recommendation is to use within 3 months.
Thaw by leaving out overnight.
What are vegan toppings that I should add?
Cream cheese is a no brainer, but obviously it’s not normally vegan. Luckily, it’s getting easier for you to find vegan cream cheese; however, you could also make our cashew based vegan cream cheese or our nut free soy free vegan cream cheese.
Other options include:
- vegan cream cheese from above with fresh fruit
- peanut butter or other nut butter with agave or fresh fruit
- mashed avocado
- breakfast sandwich – vegan sausage or bacon with vegan eggs and vegan cheese
- hummus and your favorite toppings
- vegan chicken salad
- vegan tuna salad
- pizza bagels – marinara sauce with vegan cheese and pepperoni or any other favorite pizza toppings
The possibilities are literally endless.
Pin these easy plain vegan bagels for later:
Plain Vegan Bagels
For the bagels
- 3 ½ – 4 cups flour (we prefer bread, can use all-purpose or whole wheat – see post for details)
- 1 package instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup vegan cane sugar
For the water bath
- 2 qt water
- ⅔ cup vegan sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 ½ cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Then, add in the water.
- Using a spatula, fold until mostly combined. Sprinkle a little more flour if needed to not be sticky and form a ball.
- Cut the ball into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Poke a hole through the center and stretch the hole a bit to make a center (see video for visual).
- Place shaped bagel on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise for 60 minutes
- 10 minutes before timer goes off heat water in a large pot over medium high heat. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once boiling add in sugar and blend together until sugar has dissolved.
- Add in baking soda.
- Drop 2-3 bagels in at a time for 1 minute. Flip and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove bagels and place back on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake bagels for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oven and let cool before slicing and eating
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
Can I increase fiber and protein in bagels? and what do you recommend?
Potentially you could use other flours higher in fiber/protein but you’d likely have to adjust liquid ratios and we don’t know those recommendations without testing
Vegetarian on the Move
These are the best bagels ever! I don’t think I can eat another bagel again!
Thrilled to hear that! Glad you enjoyed
This were sooooooo good, life changers!! a thousand thank yous!!!!!
So happy that you enjoyed them! Thanks for taking time to leave a review, we appreciate it!
First time making bagels & so happy I found Make it Dairy Free! I added cinnamon sugar, cherries and mini non-dairy chocolate chips to mine. They’re soft, chewy and perfectly golden—just how bagels should be. I’m adding lemon zest to the next batch to pair with fresh strawberry jam. Can’t wait to try your other recipes!
So happy to hear you liked it, we appreciate you taking time out of your day to leave a review! Your additions sound amazing
Thank you so much!
We’re so happy to hear that! Thanks so much for leaving a review, we really appreciate it!
Andrew and Larisha have a way of taking any recipe and making it simple and easy to follow. This recipe is pretty straightforward and tastes delicious! I had a bit of user error on the shaping but they still came out great. I can’t wait to make these again and try the different flavors. No more need for store bought bagels, these will be the new go to!
I wish you could have seen our first ones! The shapes get easier the more you make them. But we are so excited that you liked the recipe. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.