This easy tutorial will teach you how to make homemade peanut butter with as little as 1 ingredient with a food processor or blender!
If you’ve ever wondered how to make homemade peanut butter at home, then you are in the right place! It’s almost silly to call it a recipe because of how easy it is to make peanut butter at home!
You’ll need as little as one ingredient – yes, you can make homemade peanut butter with just peanuts! And we’ll show you a variety of ways you can make it too!
Why Should You Make Homemade Peanut Butter?
If you’re a fan of peanut butter, you might be wondering if making your own is worth the effort. After all, there are dozens of store-bought options available. However, we think there are some compelling reasons to give homemade peanut butter a try. Here’s a look at why we believe homemade peanut butter is better than the store-bought kind.
For one thing, you can control the ingredients that go into your peanut butter when you make it at home. This means you can avoid unhealthy additives and choose to use healthier sugar alternatives like agave instead of cane sugar.
Another benefit of homemade peanut butter is that it tends to be more natural and less processed than store-bought varieties. This means that it retains more of the healthy nutrients found in peanuts.
Finally, homemade peanut butter simply tastes better than its store-bought counterpart. When you make it yourself, you can customize the flavor to suit your taste buds. So if you’re looking for a delicious and healthy peanut butter option, we recommend giving homemade peanut butter a try.
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
Sign Up For My Newsletter Today!
What You’ll Need To Make Homemade Peanut Butter
In addition to being super simple as far as ingredients, you also won’t need a lot in order to make your new favorite peanut butter recipe at home. You will need:
How to make peanut butter at home
Making peanut butter at home is so easy, yet the taste is like nothing you can find in the store.
In order to make peanut butter at home, you’ll need just 5 minutes of your time.
- Add your unsalted peanuts to a blender or food processor and blend. Stopping at 1 minute 30 seconds for crunchy peanut butter or processing 3-5 minutes for smooth, creamy peanut butter.
- Add any additions like oil, salt, or liquid sweetener you desire and blend again.
- Store your peanut butter in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a few weeks.
Full instructions below!
Homemade Peanut Butter Tips:
If you are ready to take the leap and make the best ever homemade peanut butter, then we are ready to share our tips so you perfect it on the first try:
- You’ll want to use the right type of peanuts. One of the best things about this recipe is that you control everything. You literally only need peanuts to make peanut butter from scratch and everything else is option. Unsalted, dry roasted peanuts are the best.
- Don’t over stuff your blender or processor. While it may seem like you have a lot more room in your appliance, we encourage you to leave that space. We prefer to only processor one pound (454g) of peanuts of a time.
- Make peanut milk from the waste. For the longest time, we would get as much out of our blender as possible and then add soap and water and blend to wash. I had an idea after learning how to make almond milk, that I could use the same process and make peanut milk. Just add 1-2 cups to your blend and blend until it come off the walls of your blender.
- Don’t use the wrong equipment. You will need a food processor (at least 700 watts) or a high speed blender (like a Vitamix or Blendtec). We can also confirm that it will work in the Ninja Smart Touch Blender that is a cheaper model blender than the first two mentioned. Also if you are use a food processor, it will take longer and you will need to stop and scrape down the sides often.
Variations or Substitutions:
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter: Add ½ cup chocolate chips along with the roasted peanuts, salt, and liquid sweetener of choice. Pulse until combined and enjoy!
- Cinnamon Peanut Butter: Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon along with the other ingredients. Pulse until combined and enjoy the sweet and spicy flavor of cinnamon peanut butter.
- Nutmeg Peanut Butter: Add ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg along with the other ingredients. Pulse until combined and enjoy the warm flavor of nutmeg peanut butter.
- Vanilla Peanut Butter: Add ½ teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract along with the other ingredients. Pulse until combined and enjoy the delicious flavor of vanilla peanut butter.
You can also do this with any type of nuts!
Frequently Asked Questions:
You want to get roasted peanuts, preferably unsalted so you can control the salt level. If you can only find raw peanuts, then you will want to roast them first.
If you like crunchy peanut butter, you will only need about 90 seconds. If you want a smoother peanut butter, you will want to let your blend or food processor run for 3-4 minutes until the desired consistency.
It’s true that homemade peanut butter doesn’t have the same smoothness or firmness as a store bought peanut butter. Even with adding oil or liquid sweetener, depending on your blender or food processor you may not be able to get it super smooth.
If you think the texture is too runny, you can place it into the fridge to firm up a bit. This will help in a similar way as setting up a no bake pie does when you place into the fridge.
Absolutely! You can make almond butter, cashew butter, walnut, pistachio, pecan, and so much more! Great creative and make a blend too!
It’s no secret that creamy peanut butter sticks to a blender like nothing else! One of our favorite tips is actually to add water to your blend and blend for 5-7 minutes. This will help to get that peanut residue off the walls of your blender, but it will also give you peanut milk. Store in a jar in the fridge, drink or use once cold!
How to use homemade peanut butter?
Of course you can make your favorite homemade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! We all know how delicious, simple, and nostalgic those are! But if you are looking for delicious ways to use up your new homemade peanut butter so you can make it all over again, then here’s some delicious and easy vegan peanut butter recipes:
- For breakfast you’ll want to try out these vegan peanut butter and jelly overnight oats or vegan chocolate peanut butter overnight oats for a simple and delicious meal!
- If you are craving sweets definitely try this no churn vegan PBJ ice cream or vegan peanut butter fudge brownie milkshake!
- Love banana bread but tired of the same flavor over and over? Then this vegan peanut butter banana bread is the perfect simple twist on a classic.
- For snack time, adults and kids alike will go crazy over these no bake vegan peanut butter chocolate energy bites.
Pin this how to make homemade peanut butter post for later!
How to Make Homemade Peanut Butter
- Food Process or High Speed Blender
- Add peanuts to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend for approximately 90 seconds for creamy peanut butter or up to 3-4 minutes for creamy peanut butter.
- Add any optional ingredients and blend until the mixture combines well.
- Store the peanut butter in an airtight container and enjoy!
Did you make and love this recipe?
Click the 5 stars in the recipe card above or below in the comment section! This is a great way to support us so we can continue to bring great recipes!
Overall, we think there are plenty of good reasons to make your own peanut butter at home. You can control the ingredients, it’s more natural and less processed, and it simply tastes better. So if you’re looking for a delicious and healthy peanut butter option, we recommend giving homemade peanut butter a try. Thanks for reading!