This gluten free vegan cornbread is soft, fluffy, and moist, while still being completely free from wheat. You’ll be shocked at how great it is!
We try out best to make sure our gluten free friends don’t feel left out. While it’s not always easy (hello, yeasted dough recipes), we keep working until we feel like we get it right. Today, we are sharing our gluten free vegan cornbread recipe.
I’ll be honest, while this is a little bit more crumbly than our traditional vegan cornbread recipe, I actually love the way the flavor pops with this recipe.
We believe that most people who have a hard time telling that difference between this and a regular recipe (minus the slightly more crumbly texture).
Overall, we think that you absolutely love this recipe and we won’t even blame you for having a few extra slices for yourself.
Cornbread is delicious with soups, stews, chilis, and of course, all on it’s own!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients do you need to make vegan cornbread?
We love how delicious this vegan cornbread is, but it’s also great because it’s only 11 ingredients! Below are notes about the ingredients before we get into the full recipe located lower in this post on how to make this vegan wheat free cornbread:
You will need:
- Ground Flax seed – when you mix ground flax seed with water and let it sit, it becomes gelatinous and provides a texture that mimics egg
- Vegan butter – this provides moisture and richness to the dough
- Cornmeal – we are making cornbread, so obviously we need something for that corn flavor. We are using yellow cornmeal for this recipe
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour – In order to make this recipe gluten free, we are using a gluten free all-purpose flour. For this particular recipe we used Pillsbury Gluten Free Flour
- Brown sugar – this provides sweetness, but also moisture from the molasses in the brown sugar
- Baking powder and Baking soda – helps with leavening the cornbread. Since this is a gluten free recipe we need something that helps with the rise
- Salt – is used to make the ingredients’ flavor really pop. You don’t need a ton in the overall scheme of the dish; however, the little bit makes a big difference
- Apple cider vinegar and vegan milk – since there are any readily available vegan buttermilks on the market, we are left to make our own. When you combine non-dairy milk and an acid together you get vegan buttermilk. For this recipe we are using apple cider vinegar
Substitutions and Variations:
- Ground Flax seed – You can replace the flax and water with unsweetened applesauce. You will need to add 1/4 cup applesauce
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour – We have not tried but another vegan-friendly gluten free 1:1 flour blend should work
- Brown sugar – vegan cane sugar, as well as coconut sugar, or date sugar will also work
- Apple cider vinegar – you can replace this with another acid like lemon juice or white vinegar as well
We don’t recommend any other substitutions.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make Gluten Free Vegan Cornbread:
Honestly chili is the best with cornbread. Or thicker stews. Some of our favorites are:
Vegan Apple Chili
Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
Beefless Vegan Stew
If you also want a sweet version, this vegan cornbread pairs perfectly with our vegan maple cinnamon butter.
Yes! This cornbread will last for 3-5 days stored in an air tight container. Best heated before serving.
Since this is already gluten free, we just need to use a safe for you non-dairy milk and a soy free vegan butter. Flora or Earth Balance soy free are usually what we recommend.
What are other vegan side dishes that I should make?
There are endless possibilities, but here are some of our favorite vegan side dishes that we think everyone will like:
- One Pot Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Italian Vegan Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Green Bean Salad
- The Best Vegan Baked Beans
- Vegan Glazed Carrots
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Pin this gluten free vegan cornbread for later!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 square baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the ground flax egg and water together to make a flax egg. In a separate bowl, combine apple cider vinegar and dairy free milk to make a vegan buttermilk. Let both sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and melted butter. Pour in maple syrup and whisk together again. Add the flax egg and slowly pour in the vegan buttermilk while whisking until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together with a spatula just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.
- Best served warmed.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!