These gluten free vegan dinner rolls are soft and fluffy! Great for those who cannot have wheat, but still want rolls, sliders and more!
Whether it’s the holidays or a warm summer day in July, dinner rolls make life better and now they can be vegan and gluten free as well. These easy gluten free vegan dinner rolls are still fluffy and soft without the addition of gluten so those with allergies or intolerances can still enjoy!
They are topped with vegan buttery perfection, not once, but twice for just an amazing side dish to any meal you have.
While these are perfect for holidays and get togethers, don’t be afraid to make them and not want to share either. We completely understand that too!
Never miss another post! Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get them all delivered easily! Plus, 15 easy recipes delivered immediately!
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!
What ingredients go in gluten free vegan dinner rolls?
- gluten free all-purpose flour – In order to make these gluten free, we used a gluten free all-purpose or 1:1 flour blend. Bob’s Red Mill makes some great ones.
- xanthan gum – because gluten free flour doesn’t have the same elasticity as gluten flour, we need to create that and xanthan gym helps with that, the structure and the binding of the flour. Check the ingredients on your gluten free flour because some already contain it and you would omit in that case
- instant yeast – we are using instant yeast to make this process goes as quickly as we can
- vegan cane sugar – Cane sugar is what we are using. If you want to learn more about why your sugar may not be vegan, you can learn more by clicking on the link.
- salt – helps brings out the flavors
- baking powder – helps give more rise in gluten free baking
- unsweetened dairy free milk – use your favorite neutral, non-sweetened or flavored variety. We really like oat
- vegan butter – for richness and texture, vegan butter is best and easiest to use.
- unsweetened applesauce – adds moisture and texture, as well as acts as the “eggs” in the bread
- apple cider vinegar – helps with texture and taste.
That’s it! This is the combination of ingredients that will give you the most delicious vegan dinner rolls.
Substitutions and Variations:
- gluten free all-purpose flour – Gluten free 1:1 blends will also work.
- instant yeast- you can also use active dry yeast, but it will take longer to rise. Double check and pay attention to the fact that you want the dough doubled in size each time
- vegan cane sugar – try subbing with coconut or date sugar
- unsweetened applesauce – any neutral fruit puree will work, such as pureed pumpkin
- apple cider vinegar – white vinegar or lemon juice can also be substituted
Frequently Asked Questions:
For soy allergies, make sure you use a soy free vegan butter. We like Earth Balance soy free. It comes in a red tub.
And for dairy free milk, just use an unflavored and not overpowering milk of your choice, like oat.
Being completely honest, these are best served warm right out of the oven. They can be warmed up, but we recommend eating within 24 hours.
For the photos, we subbed pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) for the unsweetened applesauce. This gives a darker appearance, but does not affect the taste.
WHAT ARE OTHER VEGAN SIDE DISHES THAT I SHOULD TRY?
There are endless possibilities, but here are some of our favorite vegan side dishes that we think everyone will like:
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Italian Vegan Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Green Bean Salad
- The Best Vegan Baked Beans
- Vegan Glazed Carrots
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Gluten Free Vegan Dinner Rolls
For the dough
- 3 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your gluten free flour contains it)
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (or 1 packet)
- 1/4 cup vegan cane sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened dairy free milk (do not use one with a strong flavor)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the topping
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, melted, divided
- Into a large bowl, add gluten free flour, xanthan gum (if adding), instant yeast, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Whisk together.
- Add in dairy free milk, vegan butter, applesauce and apple cider vinegar. If using a stand mixer, use a dough hook and turn on and bring together. If doing by hand, use a spatula.
- Once combined, remove and shape into a ball. Oil bowl and place ball into bowl.
- Cover and let rise for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Once doubled, pull off pieces (need 15 pieces- use a scale if you want even, but it's not needed). Roll each piece into a ball.
- Place each ball, seam side down, into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
- Cover pan and let rise for another 30-60 minutes or until doubled in size. *After this rise, you want the dough balls to slightly be touching each other. If they are not touching, give them a little bit longer.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F while rising this second time.
- Using 1/3 cup of melted butter, brush each roll liberally.
- Toss in oven for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Right before serving brush with remaining 1/3 cup melted butter again.
- Best served warmed. Makes 15 dinner rolls.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!