This is the only vegan green bean casserole that you will need! A great dairy free side dish to any holiday tablescape. Comes together super easy and can be tailored to be Top 8 Allergen friendly if needed.
Green bean casserole is a classic side dish for any holiday get together. And this vegan green bean casserole will hit all the right notes in your palate.
It was actually a dish created from the Campbell’s Test Kitchen back in 1955. So, while it seems like it’s been an iconic staple forever, it’s actually fairly new. It’s only been around for a little over 60 years.
Unfortunately, classic Campbell’s soups are cream based which means if you have a dairy allergy or plant based on your own, you can’t have this classic dish.
Fortunately, we’ve taken the guess work out of it and created an allergy friendly green bean casserole, that by all accounts is insanely better than any that you’ve tried.
This is a completely vegan green bean casserole. We’ve taken our own dairy free cream of mushroom soup and combined it with the classic green bean casserole ingredients, plus an optional fun twist.
This recipe can be tailored to be completely Top 8 Allergen Free also.
What ingredients do you need for vegan green bean casserole?
If you’ve never made a green bean casserole, you may be surprised to learn that it only needed minimal ingredients. Five to be exact.
We’ve tried to keep the same minimal ingredients going for the dairy free green bean casserole.
There are only 6 ingredients called for in our casserole, however, one of our homemade vegan cream of mushroom soup. The homemade soup does need 10 ingredients to make.
The ingredients that you will need to make this vegan green bean casserole are:
- Recipe for vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Fresh green beans
- Unsweetened almond milk
- freshly cracked black pepper
- vegan hot sauce, Optional
- fried onions
How do you make vegan green bean casserole?
The first step to make this dairy free green bean casserole is making the vegan cream of mushroom soup. Follow the steps for the condensed version.
Then, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Once the soup is ready, add all the ingredients except the fried onions into a small casserole dish. Stir everything together really well. Cook in the oven for 25 mins.
Then, remove from the oven and top with the fried onions. Place back into the oven for 5 minutes.
Remove and serve. That’s it! It really is that easy to make your own vegan green bean casserole.
Where can I buy vegan cream of mushroom soup?
At the time of this posting, it doesn’t appear that a canned vegan cream of mushroom soup exists (if you know of one, please let me know!). However, there is a dry mix that we found called Vivian’s Live Again Cream of Mushroom Soup Mix. *Note: We have not personally tried this way.
Can this be a Top 8 Allergen Friendly green bean casserole ?
There are two ingredients that fall under the Top 8 Allergens. Those are regular flour (wheat) and the almond milk.
In the dairy free cream of mushroom, you can swap the flour for chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour and it works perfectly.
Alternatively, you can replace all the almond milk with another safe dairy free milk or equal amount of added vegetable stock.
For the dairy free green bean casserole, you need to make sure that you have gluten free fried onions and that your hot sauce does not contain gluten, soy or dairy. *Most do not but some do.
Can I make this dairy free green bean casserole ahead of time?
If you are prepping this vegan green bean casserole for a holiday meal, you may be trying to get it prepped ahead of the big holiday you are planning for. You absolutely can do that with our recipe.
Up to 3 days ahead of time, you can make the recipe through to adding the fried onions. Remove, let cool and cover.
When almost ready to serve, place fried onions on top and put back into the oven for 7-8 minutes or until dish has heated throughout.
What are other vegan side dishes that I should try?
There are endless possibilities, but here are some of our favorite vegan side dishes that we think everyone will like:
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes (4 ways)
- Vegan Cornbread
- Italian Vegan Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Green Bean Salad
- The Best Vegan Baked Beans
- Vegan Glazed Carrots
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Pin this vegan green bean casserole for later:
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 1 recipe vegan condensed cream of mushroom soup (click link for recipe- follow condensed version)
- 4 cups fresh green beans, washed, ends trimmed, and cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (sub for other non-dairy milk if allergies)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegan hot sauce, Optional
- 1 ½ cups fried onions
- Start by making the recipe for the vegan cream of mushroom soup.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once soup is ready, add all the ingredients except the fried onions to a casserole dish and stir together well.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the fried onions.
- Place back into the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Remove and serve.
- *Note: If meal prepping, make the recipe through to adding the fried onions. Remove, let cool and cover. When almost ready to serve, place fried onions on top and put back into the oven for 7-8 minutes or until dish has heated throughout.
Let’s see your creations!
Share to Instagram and tag us @makeitdairyfree so we can see and share it!
This post was originally posted on 4/12/19 and updated on 11/4/2019.